It is currently Fri Nov 22, 2019 4:15 am

Recommendations for remote control and manual ramping? 

Post Recommendations for remote control and manual ramping?
Any tips on doing manual ramping when the camera is out of reach? In this case, there was a change from natural light to indoor light over a 3 hour period, which lost about 1 and 2/3 stops during the event (measured after the fact). I ended up using aperture priority with an attached intervalometer, and had to deflicker after the fact in LRTimelapse (which is pretty time consuming with 2500 raw files). My hope was to use the wifi in the Canon 6D with the EOS app or something like qdslrdashboard to view the meter, and then periodically adjust as needed. But these apps didn't appear to allow me to do just that, so I stuck with the simpler approach. (The desire for manual ramping was due to the fact that the artist, and other guests, were coming in and out of the frame periodically, making auto ramping likely inaccurate).

Here's a shot of the setup:

https://www.instagram.com/p/BFxSfVyCnBv

Any thoughts on a better approach or tools is appreciated.

Cheers,

Bill

Wed May 25, 2016 10:13 am

Post Re: Recommendations for remote control and manual ramping?
hi bill,

you can solder a remote control..

Arduino-based controller for Canon EOS cameras
https://www.circuitsathome.com/camera-control/arduino-based-controller-for-canon-eos-cameras

Digital camera control using Arduino USB Host Shield. Part 2 – Canon EOS Cameras
https://www.circuitsathome.com/camera-control/digital-camera-control-using-arduino-usb-host-shield-part-2-%E2%80%93-canon-eos-cameras

but it takes time!!!!!!!

Wed May 25, 2016 2:28 pm

If you have any luck with the Canon EOS control USB shield please share. I've spend a good 6 months with this setup to find it unreliable and undocumented. I also went to this as a possible solution to control ISO, Aperture and Exposure settings while doing Manual ramping on my 5D2 to find it would randomly freeze resulting in a wasted shot as the camera needed to be power cycled to allow anything controls to work again. Since my plans for doing some Holy Grail shots placed me in remote locations for short periods of time, I wanted a reliable solution. I'm back to doing it via the camera controls now :-(

But please do share if you manage to get it to work reliably.

Steve

Wed May 25, 2016 2:55 pm

it is years ago, but I found some old bookmarks:

Digital Camera Control support for USB Host Shield r.2.0
https://github.com/felis/PTP_2.0

lots of code and links in this forum (german)
http://www.dslr-forum.de/showthread.php?t=942846&page=25

maybe it helps..‬

if you can find an old OKII usb-followfocus (or a clone?) - than you can control iso, time, start movie etc. via USB on the 5dmkii

Wed May 25, 2016 3:37 pm

Cheers for those links !

Must scrub up on my German ;)

Wed May 25, 2016 3:45 pm

Thanks for the links!

Cheers,

Bill

Wed May 25, 2016 10:21 pm

Dslr Dashboard + mini wifi router.
However, that looks like the camera is relatively close.

You can just use a usb cable to android phone and use DSLR dashboard or a similar app to control the camera settings.

However, DD is the only one I know that allows camera control while an intervalometer is attached, but times may have changed.
Other apps may control the shutter as well so you might not need to use DD, it's been a while since I've looked at other apps.

I should also add that I have used this successfully many times although I still find the LRT auto HG mode to be unreliable in urban environments (only place where I've tested that part). Just gets way to bright eventually. It works for the most part, but you need to stop the HG about 75% of the way through the sunset otherwise it over exposes the city lights.

For simple camera control it works great. Used to be free.

Thu May 26, 2016 9:58 pm

I did something very similar (street painter project over 9 days, see setup here: https://www.instagram.com/p/BB3S7akKCQH/?taken-by=behindthelapse, and final video here: https://vimeo.com/147543322).

I used the EOS app via WiFI to change settings and it worked a charm (it was actually the main reason I used my 6D instead of the 5D3)!
I was shooting at 30sec interval between shots however... I think anything shorter than 5-8s wouldn't work with this method (the app kind of blocks up).

Fri May 27, 2016 7:13 pm

FilippoRivetti wrote:
I did something very similar (street painter project over 9 days, see setup here: https://www.instagram.com/p/BB3S7akKCQH/?taken-by=behindthelapse, and final video here: https://vimeo.com/147543322).

I used the EOS app via WiFI to change settings and it worked a charm (it was actually the main reason I used my 6D instead of the 5D3)!
I was shooting at 30sec interval between shots however... I think anything shorter than 5-8s wouldn't work with this method (the app kind of blocks up).

Wow, really nice work! I was doing 5 second intervals, didn't have much time to test (job came up quickly), and I found the EOS app was getting in the way a bit. I also found the app would disconnect over time, but again, I wasn't able to test thoroughly, so it sounds like it's worth further investigation.

Thanks,

Bill

Sat May 28, 2016 6:01 pm

scotchtape wrote:
Dslr Dashboard + mini wifi router.
However, that looks like the camera is relatively close.

You can just use a usb cable to android phone and use DSLR dashboard or a similar app to control the camera settings.

However, DD is the only one I know that allows camera control while an intervalometer is attached, but times may have changed.
Other apps may control the shutter as well so you might not need to use DD, it's been a while since I've looked at other apps.

I should also add that I have used this successfully many times although I still find the LRT auto HG mode to be unreliable in urban environments (only place where I've tested that part). Just gets way to bright eventually. It works for the most part, but you need to stop the HG about 75% of the way through the sunset otherwise it over exposes the city lights.

For simple camera control it works great. Used to be free.

Intersting, thanks for the details. Definitely worth giving a closer look to dslr dashboard. I also wonder if a cam ranger would be a good option, I haven't tried one of those yet.

Sat May 28, 2016 6:03 pm

I've had some success using CamRanger for this. It downloads a preview after each shot, so you can see both the image and the histogram, then manually adjust as needed between shots. I used the CamRanger app's built-in intervalometer rather than an external one, though...

Sun May 29, 2016 5:23 pm

jimre-temp wrote:
I've had some success using CamRanger for this. It downloads a preview after each shot, so you can see both the image and the histogram, then manually adjust as needed between shots. I used the CamRanger app's built-in intervalometer rather than an external one, though...

Good to know, thanks!

Sun May 29, 2016 6:29 pm

I've got an almost new CamRanger for sale, just sold my 5D3 so no need for the unit anymore, used it about three times.

Contact if interested.

Cheers,
Mark.

Thu Jun 09, 2016 1:54 am