It is currently Mon Jul 13, 2020 1:05 pm

Magic Lantern: specifically, what intervalometer functions? 

Post Magic Lantern: specifically, what intervalometer functions?
Finding info on what ML does specifically from the wikia page that comes up through google is is a little difficult. I'm already sold on the video functions. I've used a buddy's T2i to shoot some video and was instantly bummed it wouldn't work on my 7D.

With the 5Dmk3 out, I'm debating picking up a used mk2 somewhere and magic lantern would go on it in a matter of seconds just for video purposes if I do.

One thing I DID learn from the download pages is that there are two different versions. One for the 5D and a universal for the rest of the cameras.

What's the main difference between the universal firmware and the 5D version? I've seen folks mention bulb ramping. Is this present on the 5D version? My little bramper broke and I can't get a response from astro so having the 5D replace what I've been doing on my 7D would be fine with me.

Any other pertinent info?

I'm poised to drop the coin on a used 5Dmk2, so knowing there's some additional functionality from the intervalometer menus would help to take the plunge.

Thanks!

Fri Mar 30, 2012 8:23 pm

Post Re: Magic Lantern: specifically, what intervalometer functio
you have two versions of ML: the Unified version... (which only works on nearly every camera except the 7D and 5D) and the AJA version which works for the 5D but only has the video functions... so no functions whatsoever for stills....

there is another version of the Unified ML out there... developed by "A1ex" or "autoexec_bin" on twitter... which is for the 5D but still in beta phase... you can donate money to become a "beta tester" and download the early version of ML Unified for the 5D.. with that version you will have all the video, audio and stills functions...

here is the infopage
here is what works and what doesn't
here you can donate and recieve the download link

be aware that bulb ramping with ML isn't able to replace the little bramper since it works totally different... more like the Av mode on your 7D... it compares the lighting of the last shot with the upcoming one and regarding that value it changes the exposure.
so there will be some flicker...

hope that helps
Sebastian.

Sat Mar 31, 2012 1:31 am

That helps tremendously.

Bulb ramping based on on-board meter readings is useless in my opinion. The cameras already to that out of the box to a degree. I'm glad you set me straight on what it actually does. I'll definitely stay on the unified for 5d section and see how it pans out.

Thanks a bunch!

Sat Mar 31, 2012 7:45 am

KevinB wrote:
Bulb ramping based on on-board meter readings is useless in my opinion. The cameras already to that out of the box to a degree.

yes the camera does that already... and yes.. in terms of bulb ramping it is useless...
and i don't understand why it's even there... doesn't make any sense to me to implement a feature that the camera already is able to do with the original firmware... so either the meter works slightly different or i haven't figured out the true functionality of the bulb ramping feature in ML...

but it definitely doesn't work like the little bramper... you don't really have options on how to bulb ramp... (see the screenshots)

Attachment:
File comment: the intervalometer setting where you can turn bulb ramping on/off and set the interval....
IMG_1491.JPG [351.23 KiB]
Downloaded 284 times

there are some pretty neat stills-features... but i haven't tested them all to being able to say which work properly...
Attachment:
File comment: the overall stills menu
IMG_1492.JPG [304.68 KiB]
Downloaded 284 times

Sat Mar 31, 2012 10:05 am

The interactivity of the Bramper is what makes it useful. A fully automated process seems a little silly for sure. Sometimes I WANT things to go underexposed for a section of a clip.

Oh well. Good to know this stuff. I'm chomping at the bit a little less.

Let me ask you this since you've already used the firmware: Do you see a way to utilize the focus pulling feature that's present in video mode while shooting a timelapse? I've been trying to build a motorized focus puller that runs off the mx2 controller that would pull focus between two objects in a timelapse clip. If there's a way to do this with the ML firmware, it could save me a lot of headaches. Does the camera/lens need to be set to autofocus mode to engage the motors when this funtion is used in video?

It looks like you need to be in either video or stills mode no likely crossover but figured I'd ask. I mean you CAN have the native firmware in video mode and still shoot stills outside of ML.

Sat Mar 31, 2012 10:17 am

there is no seperate video or stills mode on the 5D MK II... you either just take a picture or start recording video with two different buttons.
and I don't think this would work.. because as soon as you are starting one program (e.g. the intervalometer or the rack-focus) you can't access the menu to start another one without stopping the previous one...

Sat Mar 31, 2012 10:28 am

Holy_13 wrote:
there is no seperate video or stills mode on the 5D MK II... you either just take a picture or start recording video with two different buttons.
and I don't think this would work.. because as soon as you are starting one program (e.g. the intervalometer or the rack-focus) you can't access the menu to start another one without stopping the previous one...

What about having the camera in video mode and running an external intervalometer? ;)

I doubt that would work either because you'd need to be RECORDING to run the focus pull right?

Sat Mar 31, 2012 10:46 am

hehe... two dumbasses one idea...

i just tried exactly that... it is possible with an intervalometer... but its difficult to get the timing right...
and i have to figure out if it also works without live view... because with live view on you have to shutter-movements per shot...
that suxx... so more testing needs to be done!

but now i'm going out for dinner with my wife... tomorrow i'll continue testing it :-)

Sat Mar 31, 2012 11:15 am

Enjoy!

Thanks a bunch for all the info!

Report back on what you figure out.

Sat Mar 31, 2012 11:20 am

ok... it works like a charm... almost ^^

it however does not work with an external intervalometer... or also not with the internal... as soon as the shutter is triggered it switches into "Stack focus" (see screenshot)
and the stack focus function always takes a picture every 3 seconds... no matter how long the interval on your internal/external intervalometer is set... (or again... i just haven't figured out yet how to change it :))
so no use of the MX2 here... i think if you want to combine it with dolly movement of the stage 0 you will have to do it like it is described in this thread
or you go into "pulse mode" on the MX2 with slow movement...

here's a screenshot of the ML focus menu:
Attachment:
IMG_1493.JPG [458.41 KiB]
Downloaded 282 times

to use stack focus you have to set your lens to autofocus.. and you have to be in live view mode...

here's my quick test run of the stack focus:

Sun Apr 01, 2012 1:25 am

That looks pretty promising.

If there's a way to get long exposures on there, that could be fun.

Mon Apr 02, 2012 7:44 am