It is currently Sun May 28, 2017 12:29 am

opinions on compacts for time-lapse? (2016) 

Post opinions on compacts for time-lapse? (2016)
Wondering if anyone is using a compact point n shoot style camera for their time-lapses? I'm looking at the new waterproof Olympus TG-870 or Brinno TLC 120. The Brinno looks like it will be better for multi-days (battery life) while the Olympus I'd have a more all around camera as well - should I want to use a point n shoot and it's also waterproof.

Mostly this would be for garden / plant time-lapse, it would be nice to put a small locking cable around them but not necessary. Multi-day but nothing more than twenty to thirty days.

Or if there is another compact [cheap & small] that I should look at any suggestions are very helpful. Not looking to use my dslrs for this project.

Thanks for any insights. jeff

Wed May 11, 2016 12:11 pm

Post Re: opinions on compacts for time-lapse? (2016)
anyone using trail cameras? If so any suggestions on brands/models?

I tried the Moultrie but either got a bad camera or they have a very weird SD card requirements. I tried 5 different cards and according to their customer service all of my cards lock up their cameras (all my cards fit their requirements not super fast only class 10)- I even tried one of the type they claim to work and it also only shot seven pictures before locking up the camera. Not impressed with their menu system either seems simple yet never any assurance things are working until you find out they weren't.

Really like the idea of trail cameras for garden time-lapse as they're weather proof, cheap, and have a long term battery design.

Anyone with experience and or advice?

thanks, jeff

Mon May 08, 2017 6:24 am

Post Re: opinions on compacts for time-lapse? (2016)
As far as point and click cameras go, I used some cheap ones back when people hacked the control buttons and programmed a microcontroller to fire the camera. If you search the forum, there were some people who were able to program the cameras themselves using CHDK.

For an easy to use point and timelapse solution, you could try one of the Brinno cameras. Their first timelapse camera was the gardencam. They made a slightly more advanced version called the TLC or timelapse camera. They don't give you raw, or even a bunch of stills, the only file you got was an H264 movie. I think they put threads on the TLC so you could attach an auxiliary tele or wide converter.

Wed May 10, 2017 7:43 am