It is currently Sun Dec 15, 2019 3:22 am

Nikon D4 "Multimedia DSLR" 

Post Nikon D4 "Multimedia DSLR"
http://www.dpreview.com/news/2012/01/06/NikonD4launched

It has a new "timelapse mode":

"Time lapse shooting - This new feature combines a selected frame rate and “shooting interval” in a dedicated time lapse photography menu. Playback can be achieved with a wide variety of speeds from 24x to 36,000x while producing a fully finished movie file output for faster multimedia workflows."

This probably won't make a deciding factor for the timelapse enthusiast looking to spend $6K on a new camera. If Nikon did something about the firmware to address flicker issues it would be a whole different matter... unfortunately I don't see any signs that they've gone down that road yet. Will be interesting to see how IQ compares to Canon 1D X.

Edit: Inside the DPR article was the following info:

"This builds on the camera’s existing interval timer mode, compiling all the frames together into a full HD movie at the end. However, a fixed playback rate (meaning long-interval shoots end up being super sped-up) and its failure to save the individual frames may limit its appeal."

Apparently Nikon listens to photographers and by now video shooters too. Looking forward to the day anybody in Nikon would care to listen to a timelapse photographer - judging from this they have just about everything to learn.

Thu Jan 05, 2012 9:17 pm

Post Re: Nikon D4 "Multimedia DSLR"
One of the sample videos sure looks interesting. Lots of timelapse and slow motion footage in there:

Fri Jan 06, 2012 3:25 am

you are right, they clearly did not bother talking to anybody who does timelapse, the entire concept of timelapse they really condensed it down into a little gimmick feature, one that might be handy but for people like us is very limited in use, especially to those who are serious about timelapse work like us.

I would like to see for timelapse.....

Native built in automated bulb ramping system as well as external bulb ramping support and the ability to make millisecond adjustments in exposure.

Even better, variable aperature ramping, where you could tell the camera to slowly open or close the aperature for enhanced exposure ramping. no longer being limited to 1/x stop increments.

How about focus control for timelapse? Have the camera shift the focus from one point to another over a given period of time.

HDR bracketing with in-camera HDR generation.

Built in lightning trigger, if the meter flashes high to take a shot, might be fun to get nice violent storm timelapses.

Better image review, the ability to scroll through images at 30fps full resolution

No 999 shot cap for intervalometer.

Expand BULB control to 2-3 minute exposures.

How about CROP TRACKING where it shoots in crop mode, maybe 10mp, then have it the ability to adjust the part of the sensor being used in order to track slow moving objects like stars. So instead of just using a part of the sensor in the middle, have it start out on one side and adjust the used pixels to the other side as it tracks. It would be cool to get a 2 min exposure at 24mm without the use of a tracker.

2.5mm input and output jacks for shutter monitoring, with the input working with a traditional intervalometer and the output used to confirm shutter speed and when the shutter is open or closed for confirmation signals to any moco gear to prevent accidental movement while camera is open.

The one thing i have heared it has is illuminated buttons. best damn idea they have had in a while. I really wish mine had red illuminated buttons for nighttime shooting.

Fri Jan 06, 2012 8:40 am

How long will we have to wait for an open source camera :/

Sat Jan 07, 2012 1:29 am

As it turns out, some professional photographers do consider the timelapse feature a significant improvement. In an article recently posted on DPReview with comments from professionals about the D4 and D800, a sports/news photographer commented on this feature:

Leon Neal wrote:
Likewise, the D4's time-lapse feature takes the maths out of the process, simply asking you how often you want to shoot and the displaying how long the finalised clip will be, depending on the interval the you currently have set. Not only that, but on completion, the D4 stitches the sequence together and outputs a high-quality movie file. No more messing around in Quicktime Pro...

So apparently Nikon did do this right for some people. But the criticism still stands: Why do they make it a useless feature to the "serious" timelapse shooter by not allowing to save the individual images? Frankly, to me that looks like deliberate firmware crippling with the purpose of maintaining upgrade potential. Same thing about video - there is excitement about the video specs on the new Nikon models. But why could the D3s only shoot 720p @24fps? It's not that the hardware can't do better, nor is it rocket science to add higher resolution or other frame rates to firmware. But the D3s had sufficient other selling points, and so limiting the video specs was a simple way to help the D4 appear as a significant upgrade.

And so I'm afraid it will be with timelapse. It doesn't matter how simple it would be to modify camera firmware for highly improved timelapse use. If we are willing to pay for those improvements they will be stretched out over as many iterations as possible.

Thu Feb 23, 2012 5:05 am

The Time Lapse Movie Mode does not keep the individual shots, but the Interval Timer does keep the files.

"If you want the full res individual files, or want to combine two shooting modes, you’ll have to use the interval timer. In this mode, the camera will save each individual full res file (if of course, you’ve set it to capture images at full resolution)."

http://www.nikonusa.com/Learn-And-Explore/Photography-Techniques/gx2q3tv3/1/Dedicated-Time-Release-Movie-Mode-and-Time-Lapse-Using-the-Built-in-Interval-Timer.html

Fri Mar 09, 2012 3:08 am

Scorchio wrote:
How long will we have to wait for an open source camera :/

Stay tuned, some exciting news coming out soon - I promise =)

!c

Tue Mar 20, 2012 9:21 am

You have my attention!

I wonder how you will approach this. I will be keeping an eye out for future announcements from you guys.

Tue Mar 20, 2012 9:31 am

Leon Neal wrote:
Likewise, the D4's time-lapse feature takes the maths out of the process, simply asking you how often you want to shoot and the displaying how long the finalised clip will be, depending on the interval the you currently have set. Not only that, but on completion, the D4 stitches the sequence together and outputs a high-quality movie file. No more messing around in Quicktime Pro...

Right because simple math is hard and because QT pro is the only way to output clips.

Ahh........... when photographers become 'videographers' :D

Sat Mar 31, 2012 3:12 pm