It is currently Sun Apr 11, 2021 10:03 am

Chronos Rail + Controller 125cm 

Post Chronos Rail + Controller 125cm
New price: 700$

I am selling my self-made Chronos rail including the original Chronos carriage + bracket set and an original Chronocontroller 2.0, needed cables and a battery.

I built the rail from scratch in 2013, following Chris Field's instructions on his website. I mostly stuck to his parts list, but living in Europe, I chose a metric approach. Hence, I had to find some metric equivalents for some parts. I used a 125 cm high quality Igus rail with a 125cm Igus lead screw (I think the Chronos HD Chris sells is ~110 cm) because I wanted it to be a bit longer but still compact enough to bring it with me.

Truth is, I didn't actually finish building the rail and all until late 2014. I had ordered the bracket set (carriage, spacers, anti backlash nut bracket, front and end brackets) from Chris. I ended up having some problems because I had to combine my metric parts with the imperial threaded anti backlash nut bracket from Chris, so it took me some time to come up with a solution. Luckily, I got help from Chris as well as another guy.

I also built the controller myself according to Chris's instructions. Unfortunately, something didn't work out. Maybe the stepper driver was defect or something. I sent the controller to the US and Chris had a look at it, but it wasn't fixable. So he sent me one of his original Chronos 2.0 controllers. Thanks for all the help again!

I never actually used the rail for any actual projects, only thing I did was try it out. Soon after I (almost) finished building it, my living and working situation changed and I haven't done any timelapse work since. I don't wanna keep it collecting dust in the basement any longer, which is why I'm selling it instead, so hopefully someone is gonna use it and have fun with it.

To Chris: I'm deeply sorry for having taken up so much of your time and ending up not using the Chronos at all. I really appreciated all your generous help and support while building the Chronos.

The condition is pretty mint. I haven't used the rail out in the real world. I tested the rail and controller last week. Everything seems to work well, the carriage moves and all, the stepping seems to be precise. Only thing is, the camera (a Canon 6D) doesn't take photos when I start a routine. Actually, it takes one single photo and the display goes black as soon as I connect the remote cable to the Chronocontroller. The cable seems to work fine when testing, the controller works fine as well, maybe I'm just doing something wrong here, maybe someone out there knows what I'm doing wrong.
It's probably 1-2 years ago that I uploaded the Chronocontroller software to the Arduino, so I'm intending to do this again with a possibly newer version. I strongly believe that this is not a hardware problem.

There are two limit switches as well, however, they're not attached yet. They need to be screwed on the end brackets – or much easier glued on with superglue. The far limit switch's cable could be hidden in the rail, only need to drill a small hole in the screws on both ends to lead the cable through. Of course you can cut the limit switches off if you prefer.

About the price... Chris sells his HD at 1200$ incl. the controller I believe. I spent around 1500$ (probably more) for all the parts and shipping, not to speak of the time I invested in this project. However, I am not selling this because I wanna get paid for my work or for all the parts or anything. I want someone to use it and enjoy it, but nevertheless, this is a product of high-quality comparable to other systems that cost a few thousand bucks.

Hence, I am selling it at a price of 799$ including the controller, a cable (Canon N3, for 5D/6D etc. – other cables are easy to make or probably available to buy from Chris Field on http://thechronosproject.com) as well as a rechargeable battery for the controller, a pair of D-rings with plates to attach them to the rail and a strap to carry it. I equiped the rail with threaded holes for the D-rings, so all you need to attach them are four short screws that fit the threads.
(The tripod head, which can be seen on the photos, is not included.)

I think shipping within Europe starts at around 50$, overseas will be a bit more expensive. I can calculate the shipping costs for you if you provide your ZIP code. If you live in Switzerland, shipping will probably be cheaper than 50$.

@Chris: If you wouldn't mind posting this on your FB page, it would be much appreciated.

Will post some images in a few days.

Attachments:
20160503-products-006.jpg
20160503-products-006.jpg [ 116.47 KiB | Viewed 3514 times ]
20160503-products-004.jpg
20160503-products-004.jpg [ 98.77 KiB | Viewed 3514 times ]
20160503-products-005.jpg
20160503-products-005.jpg [ 73.7 KiB | Viewed 3514 times ]

vimeo.com/fabianschmid
Tue May 03, 2016 6:21 am

Post Re: Chronos Rail + Controller 125cm
More pictures...