It is currently Sat Dec 07, 2019 4:57 pm

Acuter Sky-Walker 2-axis motorised head? 

Post Acuter Sky-Walker 2-axis motorised head?
Hey all,

We are looking at a head for doing some 'milapse' type sequences. From our research there is some work in adapting the head used in the milapse examples to mount a DSLR and you can still have some stability issues. In our research we came across this head which out of the box provides a compatible thread for attaching DSLR. Just wondering if anyone has had any experience with this mount for our intended purpose of shooting motion control timelapse sequences and whether they can comment on if it is better/worse than the head most people seem to be using (links below). It's a bit more expensive but if it is a better head, we'd go for it. I was also unable to gauge how programmable it was from the info out there.

Acuter Sky-Walker
http://www.skywatchertelescope.net/swti ... class2=306

Versus the milapse head
http://shop.telescope-warehouse.com/pro ... ductId=119

Any help enormously appreciated.

Cheers,
Grant

Mon Jun 08, 2009 6:25 pm

Post Re: Acuter Sky-Walker 2-axis motorised head?
Hard to say by looking at the pictures, but my guess would be it would be similar.

I use a milapse unit when there is no wind, or when I have to carry things a long way.
For a rock solid mount though I use one of these...
http://www.telescope.com/control/produc ... t_id=09822
Along with the two-axis drive kit.

I had to cut away part of the base with a dremel cutting wheel so it could be tilted all the way horizontal, it is definitely heavier and more unwieldy, and the tracking speeds are somewhat limited.
But on the flip-side it is very reliable, smooth driving, and rock-solid in most wind conditions.

Twitter Instagram Google+
Facebook Facebook Movie Page

Mon Jun 08, 2009 11:17 pm
I would say the biggest question is if you can fine tune the slew speeds like the meade system. Also, you may be kicking yourself when I release the software any day now! Otherwise I'm going to guess they are very similar.

What stability issues are you referring to? If there is major wind any rig will have issues if not well secured and weighted down.

Antz, that's the first model I used way back when! It's great/smooth/solid but definitely lacks the versatility factor.

Tue Jun 09, 2009 4:48 am

Milapse, sounds like no question. Meade it is then.
We have a project that we will be shooting in the next two weeks any chance of the software being ready in time for us to play with? Beta test maybe?

Ordering now, 497 controller and telescope warehouse?

Tue Jun 09, 2009 4:33 pm