It is currently Thu Nov 26, 2020 7:14 pm

Looking for an affordable pan/tilt head 

Post Looking for an affordable pan/tilt head
I need a pan/tilt head. I really like the eMotimo for it's simplicity, but there are many similar products (Stage R, Radian) I'm not sure what I should get.

I have a Stage Zero and I'd like to integrate the head with the dolly for 3-axis moves.

Do you guys have any recommendation?

Thanks!

Fri Sep 26, 2014 3:32 pm

Post Re: Looking for an affordable pan/tilt head
There was a telescope head called "Merlin" that was used with the MX-2. They sometimes show up for sale in Timescapes marketplace. You could also try posting a "wanted to buy" in marketplace to see if anyone has one they'd like to sell.

We have an adapter for the Bescor pan/tilt head which works with the MX-2 or MX-3 controller. I'm not sure if its on the site yet. There is a circuit that adapts MX-2 output to drive the Bescor. I'll sell you the prototype circuit for $100, or the circuit and the Bescor head for $250.

Most people just buy an eMotimo and adapt their dolly to be driven by a stepper motor run by the eMotimo's third axis driver. The eMotimo site sells the dolly motor and an adapter plate for mounting it on your dolly.

If you want to try the Radian, you can buy mine for $100. Its brand new, never been used. Just another thing I backed because it looked cool and never got around to using. I should really stop making stuff and start doing photography again.

Sat Sep 27, 2014 5:13 am

Post Re: Looking for an affordable pan/tilt head
Thanks sciencelookers.

From what I read, I understand the Merlin doesn't use steppers, that's why I'm not considering that one.

Looks like the eMotimo is the best option right now. I saw on Twitter someone was using the Stage R with the eMotimo controller. That's a nice option as well, but much more expensive.

Sun Sep 28, 2014 9:48 am