It is currently Thu Nov 26, 2020 6:19 pm

My dolly project. 

Post My dolly project.
Hi guys. I've seen many great projects in here, and I love to share some of mine.

I put mine together by low-cost materials, and didn't require any advanced tools.

Track:
I based my track upon a single rectangular alu profile. I used a straight-edge profile.

The runner-unit:
For the rollers I used 5 standard bearings. The carrier is put together from system profiles I came across in the scrapcontainer at work.
The camera is moved out to the side of the track profile. This gives the possibilities to get that dolly effect without getting the slider in the picture.

Motor-unit:
I attach the motor unit to the runner.
The motor-unit is based on a stepper-motor from an old printer and some plastic gears attached. It's driven by an Arduino and a homemade stepper driver. The gears are attached to a reel. A wire is streched up along the profile with one loop around the reel. All is driven by 4 AA batteries. I can run aprox 4 sessions (1 session: 600pics/40min) with one set of batteries. I always measure the battery level after each run.

I wrote a program on my old HP calculator, which can transfer variables to the Arduino in the field.

Legs:
The most recent modification I did was to get some better legs, making it a lot easier to put up in the field. I decided to finally spend some money and bought some new system-profiles, nuts and handles for this.
So the most expensive on my rig are the legs :)

In the field:

Sat Oct 18, 2014 1:45 pm

Post Re: My dolly project.
I have to say one of the most unique systems I have ever come across. And I love the way you put an old calculator to work! Great work.

Tue Oct 21, 2014 10:28 am

Post Re: My dolly project.
Just wonderful!. love it

Thu Oct 23, 2014 2:33 pm