It is currently Mon Aug 03, 2020 1:04 pm

Stepper controlled with a joystick? 

Post Stepper controlled with a joystick?
Does anyone know if there a simple solution to control a Stepper motor with a joystick? Can the Dynamic Perception AT2 joystick be used with a stepper or can it be used with the new NMX? I am trying to motorize my rotatable gimbal which I am using to pour liquids on the nodal point at high frame rates. I would like to take the human arm movement out of the equation and be able to make the rotational speed repeatable.

Thanks,
Greg

Fri Jan 02, 2015 10:16 am

Post Re: Stepper controlled with a joystick?
Moving the motor with the joystick would be easy in a one-off device, but recording the joystick movements is a nontrivial problem if you want to play the exact same movement over and over. Its not just a weekend project, so would cost something significant.

Do you need it to be manually controlled when making the first movement? Our miniDF controller and Dragonframe software would let you program the movement and have it repeat exactly each time. You can set a beginning home position and an end point. Adjust max pulses per second to get the speed you want. You can even adjust ramping in and out if you want. Sending the motor home will make a maximum speed traverse to that position. Back up to the end point to reset and do it over and over. Dragonframe would give you an off the shelf solution for everything but the joystick input. We can make you a one of a kind device if the joystick is important, but it will be a dedicated unit that won't work with Dragonframe.

Fri Jan 02, 2015 3:46 pm