It is currently Sat Sep 26, 2020 5:33 pm

Safety Catch for Vertical Slider? 

Post Safety Catch for Vertical Slider?
Hi, I'm new here - getting started w/ a DP Stage Zero setup.

I'm wondering what people have come up with for a safety catch when running a slider at a steep angle? The belt is the only thing keeping the dolly/camera from crashing down, which could have bad consequences. A safety wire with enough slack would have a pretty good shock load. Something shock-absorbing like a heavy bungee?

I know one answer is to always inspect the belt and have a spare, but I come from a climbing background and like redundancy!

Thanks - Alan

Sat Jan 24, 2015 4:14 pm

Post Re: Safety Catch for Vertical Slider?
I don't think you will ever have a belt brake its very tough stuff . What is more likely to fail is mounting or slip on the driving pinion . I use steppers and even if the power fails the inertia of the motor means the carriage returns to earth at controlled speed ( a little fast but not damaging).
Best to keep things simple if you introduce something like a safety line it may get snagged on something and ruin that unrepeatable shot . Just my opinion and i do send cameras high. :D

D1

Sun Jan 25, 2015 1:20 am

Thanks for your perspective - if anyone else has ideas I'd love to hear about them as well.

Sun Jan 25, 2015 11:06 am

I agree with D1. The belt isn't going to break. Make sure its attached well and it will be OK. Put a pillow at the bottom if you worry about it.

The gearbox on your DP dolly probably has enough friction in it that it won't be turned backwards by the load. Most portable rigs use gear reduction so a small low-current motor can move them. The gearing will act as a brake gripping on the belt if power to the motor is cut for any reason.

Sun Jan 25, 2015 5:40 pm

the belt on those rigs will probably be far more secure than any secondary catch system. They are very tough, and will not snap period. Just make sure you clamp it on properly.

Tue Jan 27, 2015 11:53 am

Thanks guys - I think I'll just put a safety stop at the end of the rail and call it good. In my world it's SOP to safety wire / backup anything that hangs over people or expensive stuff. I have some cautious clients that I prefer not to raise concerns with.

Tue Jan 27, 2015 4:51 pm