It is currently Mon Aug 03, 2020 12:15 pm

Rig Construction 

Post Rig Construction
Sort of on topic sort of off topic but hey oh thought people might be interested. Been aware of aluminium soldering for a while but was a bit skeptical about it . Theirs loads of vids about it so thought i would give it a go .

On with a job that requires a relatively light yet strong chassis if i had used steel it would have been far to heavy . Time to solder aluminum i thought so bought some sticks and hey presto it works . Theirs a bit of a knack to it but once you've got the hang of it its quite easy . Of course you are applying quite a bit of heat so like welding their is a bit on movement as things expand and contract so getting super engineering tolerances would be difficult. If you need such Clarence's i would simple machine back into it . But for general construction in a rig its prob fine if you are careful .
Its a lot stronger than i expected it almost as the appearance of a weld but i doubt that its as strong that. But i couldn't brake it so for rig use it would be fine :D
[flickr]Image2015-02-06 13.01.57 by DISPLACEMENT101, on Flickr[/flickr]

[flickr]Image2015-02-06 16.07.03 by DISPLACEMENT101, on Flickr[/flickr]

[flickr]Image2015-02-06 16.07.35 by DISPLACEMENT101, on Flickr[/flickr]

Sat Feb 14, 2015 2:03 am

Post Re: Rig Construction
That's impressive! Could be a real game-changer for many a DIY project large and small.

If you're worried about the strength, I think the video proves it's up to anything a timelapser is likely to throw at it!

Kit

Sat Feb 14, 2015 5:11 pm

Hi. D1, that looks interesting, some simple jigging to hold parts in place would help with accuracy, except for heat related distortion.
On the topic of construction - linear bearings new to Servocity look interesting for miniaturisation of sliders. https://www.servocity.com/html/linear_ball_bearings.html Not checked French site to see if they stock them.Wonder how they might run on wire?

Not much activity of late pulled muscles in back and need to get fit for the gardening :( .

http://www.vimeo.com/user1214873/videos
http://www.youtube.com/user/MrReggub

Sun Feb 15, 2015 6:42 am

Hi Mike again :D Yes you could applie more jigging in fact i originally had a steel set square pushed up against the ali but it just sucked to much heat away . Ali is a good conductor so it hard to heat large lumps evenly .
Servocity is def a source for all the good things :D
Sorry to hear about your back i have similar probs with me shoulder cant do any heavy lifting at mo so building little things which is nice so every cloud can have a silver lining .
D1

Sun Feb 15, 2015 11:16 am

Just a quick update on soldering aluminium . After a little more work with it i am getting less impressed. I tried to solder a 30mm x30mmx10mm lug onto the chassis i had already fabricated . Turned out to be a real pain. Difference in mass made it impossible to get even temperature distribution and a good join . It just snapped of cleanly with a bit of force so no good for that .
Soldering may have some uses but i am going to look into aluminium welding in the future .
D1

Sat Feb 21, 2015 5:31 am

Hi, D1 sorry to hear about early disappointment, TIG welder may be something to think about.
Some hints and tips on Aluminium welding, especially the removal of Ali Oxide. http://www.lincolnelectric.com/en-us/support/welding-how-to/Pages/guide-aluminum-welding-detail.aspx

http://www.vimeo.com/user1214873/videos
http://www.youtube.com/user/MrReggub

Sat Feb 21, 2015 8:43 am

Hi Mike yes thought it was to good to be true . I have a Mig welder so going to get some Argon gas and Ali wire and see if i can get it to feed ok . Get the impression ali so soft getting a clean feed can be problematic. But its the most cost effective solution for me at mo . If work goes well i may treat myself to a Tig £600 but they do produce lovely welds and i do you use ali a lot so my be worth the investment :D
D1

Sat Feb 21, 2015 10:30 am

D1,
Would you still recommend the Aluminium soldering for making up a box like the one you showed? Or on thinner material?
I'm thinking this may be the way to build the framework for my DMOCO pan/tilt rip-off if it ever sees the light of day.

Kit

Fri Feb 27, 2015 7:31 pm

Hi Kit yes i think you would be ok with that . I think the problem i had was try to stick a small peace to a large lump just couldn't get the heat balance right .
If you already have a gas torch then its not to much of a financial commitment to give it a go . The belt and braces solution would be to drill and tap with say M3/M4 counter sunk machine screws after you have soldered it .
Also if you have access to a mig it quite cheap to try and weld with one of those .

But i hope to treat myself to a cheap AC/DC tig if i get a bit more work in this year :D

Sat Feb 28, 2015 2:29 am