It is currently Sun Sep 20, 2020 3:38 am

Controlling Merlin-Head for timelapse 

Post Controlling Merlin-Head for timelapse
Hello,

I have got a Merlin Astro Head but i have trouble controlling it

- with the remote

In the "Video Cruising" mode I can program a motion of 1/4 rotation in 1.30 minutes (too fast) or in 44 minutes (too slow). There is no speed in between but that´s what i would need.

- with the bluetooth-adapter and PandroidWizard

Using Pandroidwizard and timelapse presets doesn´t work for me because the minimum interval is abou 3 seconds but i need 1 second.

So can someone please tell me any other options i have to control the merlin head? I would like to have 1/4 rotation in about 15 minutes and an interval of 1 second. A constant movement only would be ok, i have a intervalometer in the camera.

I would be very grateful for any help!

Tue Mar 03, 2015 4:07 pm

Post Re: Controlling Merlin-Head for timelapse
I haven't heard about Pandroid Wizard so can't help there. In the past, Dynamic Perception sold a dolly controller called MX-2 that had firmware that can control the Merlin head. You could post a "wanted" message in Marketplace and see if someone will sell you one. I don't think the MX-3 supports Merlin, but I'm not sure about that.

You already have some coarse control over it with the hand controller. Have you thought about shooting with that and then adjusting the speed in post? Shoot with the setting that runs a little long and then shorten it by having the computer play that scene back a little faster. Some people like to shoot their timelapses with several times as many exposures as needed because some editing software will blend frames when shortening a clip, which causes it to look smoother.

Wed Mar 04, 2015 4:46 am

Hello sciencelookers and thank you very much for your help!

I`m very new to the whole timelapse thing and it's a little confusing :D
I bought the merlin because i didnt know an alternative....should have found this forum earlier....

I just made my first outdoor test and i think the speed of the merlin+handcontroller is ok:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vjaPoaANSuA

But a problem is, that the slider is too fast at the slowest speed. I built it myself with a 3000:1 gear motor.
I found out, that the MX3 can control the merlin with a little mod.

So how i see it, if i change my slider motor with a step-motor, i could use the MX3 to control the slider and the merlin?!

[quoteSome people like to shoot their timelapses with several times as many exposures as needed because some editing software will blend frames when shortening a clip, which causes it to look smoother.][/quote]

That sounds interesting, do you have any information on how this could be done in Adobe After Effects?

Thu Mar 05, 2015 7:56 am

You need an MX2. There is a dude selling one in the classifieds for dirt cheap right now.

Tue Apr 21, 2015 12:10 pm