It is currently Fri Nov 15, 2019 7:48 am

Selfmade motion controller (new version) 

Post Re: Selfmade motion controller (new version)
Hi Guys,
Since you've been raving about this little SilentStepStick driver, I was so curious and ordered one.

I connected it to an Arduino Uno as per the drawing.

It doesn't work . The motor oscillates.

I tried moving the trimpot, to no avail. I measured the Vref, and left it at around 0.4V, and then moved the pot either way, to no avail. I don't know how many turns this trimpot has, it seems to simply keep rotating, so it's difficult to see where the max or the min current is, as I think it keeps repeating. I have left the CFG1 and CFG2 unconnected, just to have the most basic connections, so I understand it defaults to stealthChop 16x micro steps.
(But I have also tried it joining CFG1 to GND but same problem, oscillation).

I thought it might have been the stepper motor polarity, but as far as I can tell it is fine, I measured the two pairs of wires for conductivity, etc)
Other clues…even with the step and direction disconnected, the motor still oscillates.

Could you take a look at the drawing and see if you can spot something wrong please?

The motor is a Nema17 1.2A. The driver has a heatsink fitted.

Thanks.

Edward

PS. by oscillation I mean very quick forward/backward movement of about 2 degrees on the shaft. My suspicion is that maybe some pins on the driver shouldn't be left floating?

Attachments:
connections.jpg
connections.jpg [ 83.98 KiB | Viewed 12821 times ]
Thu May 21, 2015 10:21 am

How did you connect the coils?

Look on page 3:
https://github.com/watterott/SilentStep ... ck_v10.pdf

Do you maybe have a second driver to test? I somehow have a not working driver, maybe to high temperature during soldering...

Photography-Website:
http://www.izphoto.de/

Thu May 21, 2015 12:18 pm

Hi BlueGene,

Many thanks, yes, I rechecked the phase connections and you are right, that's what it was.

The thing that got me confused is that printed on the circuit board you have the letters B A A B, (and in my excitement, I didn't pay enough attention) when in fact the actual connection is A+, A-, B+, B- in that order

It's one of these silly mistakes.

Thank you.

Edward

Thu May 21, 2015 12:42 pm

I am now trying it on the 16micro step SteathChop and it is super quiet and smooth. The torque seems OK too. I'll test it with 24V, and then, if everything goes well, I will connect it to Mantis.

Edit: I'm now running it with Mantis, and I have to say, this is the smoothest stepper driver I have ever experienced, full stop!

Edward

Thu May 21, 2015 12:52 pm

as mr. coolStepper said: "this product is definitely a game changer"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lRu2gwJyel4

Thu May 21, 2015 1:59 pm

When will they have an NA distro :(

Thu May 21, 2015 2:45 pm

Ed. I hope you can also test this with Mantis at varying fps rates. Some drives achieve smoothness by applying an averaging filter which actually distorts the move profile a little. If always running at the same speed this will not be noticed, but at off speeds it might not match as perfectly. So a test would be to shoot the same move at say 12, 24 and 48 fps with the camera recording at matched speeds, then overlay the 3 moves to see if they align.

Thu May 21, 2015 6:39 pm

Regarding this TMC driver, does anybody know if it's very fussy about the sequence of switching on power?

What happens if :

- you switch on the logic power before the motor power?

- you switch on the motor power before the logic power?

-you only have the motor power connected and you switch on with or without the motor connected.

Why am I asking? Well, I managed to fry one, lovely white plume of smoke? You know the feeling.... :roll:

Not quite sure why, but possibly because I only had the 24V motor power connected to the driver (just that, no motor, no Arduino) and the damn thing blew as soon as I switched on! Does it make sense?

Edward

Fri May 22, 2015 1:13 am

edward, I also fried my first tmc2100..

I first switch on the logic power, then the motor power.
never switch the driver power off, when the motor ist moving!!!!!!!!!!

you should first deactivate the motor via En/CFG6.

in the manual:
10.3 Emergency Stop
The driver provides a negative active enable pin ENN to safely switch off all power MOSFETs. This allows putting the motor into freewheeling. Further, it is a safe hardware function whenever an emergency stop not coupled to software is required.

Fri May 22, 2015 1:45 am

Krupp T, thanks

I do understand that you should not switch off the driver power when the motor is running. Or disconnect the motor wires while it is running.

But sorry to be pedantic, what if the motor is idle (not gyrating, but with power) and then you switch off the logic, does that count as "motor running"?

Must one be forced to use an enable/disable switch?

What I am driving at is that if you use these drivers commercially, the sequence of switching on and off should not be so important, otherwise people will be frying the drivers all the time.

Edward

Fri May 22, 2015 2:11 am

the famous "switch off the logic while the driver is powered problem"

i fried a drive once, so I didn't try different things ;-))

Fri May 22, 2015 2:38 am

Well, I don't blame you, blowing a drive could leave you emotionally scarred for life!

But BlueGene is doing this commercially with his nice controller, etc. i wonder if he has found a fail proof method that eliminates any danger?

I must have tried dozens of drivers of all kinds in recent years and I've never had a fry up :lol: Maybe I am getting senile...

Edward

Fri May 22, 2015 2:57 am

today is fryday, take care!!!

Fri May 22, 2015 3:05 am

I did not fry any driver yet. Only one is not working, but I can not figure out why. I treated all drivers the same way...

My sequence ist following:

- 12V from battery is supplying the Arduino Mega with 5V over a DC-converter
- The drivers are always connected to 5V + GND, since it does not make any difference... Even if you remove VIO and have VM supplying the steppers, they will get current and generate torque. The only way to disable the stepper/driver is to use CFG6 (correct me if I am wrong)
- I use 470uF capacitors for each driver. If you plug in the battery, all capacitors will be charged at once, which will generate a high current and act like a short.(your battery might shut off if it has short-protection or high current protection.) To avoid this, I use a resistor to "soft-charge" the capacitors(150 ohm, 1W --> 80mA, ~3,5V) . Later on, VM will be switched with a MOSFET directly, so the resistor will have no function then.

So while "boot-up", VM will be a low voltage (~3,5V) and VIO = 5V. The first thing in the Arduino-software is to disable all drivers via CFG6. Later on, after setting up the parameters, the MOSFET will be switched, to charge up the capacitors to full level. With a delay of 0,5s each driver will be enabled via CFG6.

I cant understand why your drivers are frying??? I will send the Watterott-team a link to this forum, so the might updated their instructions or have an explanation for this.

Photography-Website:

Fri May 22, 2015 4:45 am

Hi BlueGene and thank you for explaining your sequence.

The thing is, not all set ups rely on Arduino or similar to disable the drive. For instance, I use a different controller and can't disable the drive with software.

Also, I've never had the need with other drivers to have a switch to disable the driver manually, I simply switch off the power in whichever order I like. Although I accept that an emergency switch is a good idea.

My capacitor is 100 microF, but I haven't used a resistor for slow charging the capacitor, (which I think it's a good idea, or a circuit with a diode for slow discharging on switch off. Maybe therein lies the problem. Maybe other drivers already contain a built in circuit to avoid the initial spike, for instance.

It looks to me like you are a very systematic person, so I am not surprised that you have not fried a drive yet:)

edward

Fri May 22, 2015 5:17 am

BlueGene. Can I ask why you are feeding the Arduino 5V (reduced from 12V with a DC to DC converter) when you could plug in the 12V straight to the Arduino and the internal circuit of the Arduino will reduce and regulate it down to 5V. Is that what you meant? Just trying to understand.

Fri May 22, 2015 5:36 am

I did this once by mistake and also had some smoke coming from the voltage-regulator from the Arduino. But I cant explain why, maybe the rest of the board design has to do something with this or the load is to high for such small regulator.

But it was planned from the beginning not to use the Arduino for voltage Input. Since this system is intended to be used outdoors, you will have only one battety in most cases.

So you would need to use the Vin-Pin on the Arduino to power your steppers. Depending on your steppers, you will get a current of 3-5A, which would be transferred through the Arduino and one single pin.

From other projects with the Arduino, i know that the onboard voltage-regulator will heat up very quickly even with a small load.(Input voltage of 12V)

At first I tried with the LM7805, but the heat was unaccapable. With the LM2596 everything is at low temperatute (expect the drivers of course)

Photography-Website:

Fri May 22, 2015 6:03 am

Thank you, I like the way you've laid out your control box, very neat :)

Fri May 22, 2015 6:26 am

I got a reply from Watterott:

- Do not cut off the supply voltage while a stepper is running(rotating)
- Do not remove a stepper connection while running

In those cases the freewheeling diodes (MOSFETs) are not able to disable the voltage spikes.

Photography-Website:

Fri May 22, 2015 6:30 am

Thank you, so it appears that if the stepper is idle (just drawing idling current), it's OK to then cut off power...

Personally I don't see much difference between the motor rotating or not rotating, as the motor is still drawing current, it doesn't go into resting mode for a while, it's not instant. I may have to fry a few to find out what you can and can't do with this chip.

I'm trying to avoid having an Enable/Disable switch.

Fri May 22, 2015 6:43 am

I'm pretty sure with ANY stepper motor you do NOT disconnect it while it is running...

Fri May 22, 2015 12:25 pm

Well, let's make a distinction here:

One thing is to disconnect the motor when the driver is still powered (by disconnect I mean to physically unplug the wiring to the motor) This is a complete no-no and we are not talking about this elementary thing here. It goes without saying that you can't wrench off the cables, though it can happen by mistake, for example if one cable becomes loose, and it doesn't necessarily always mean that it's the end of the world:).

But another thing is to switch off the power supply to the motor while the logic power supply is still on. I don't think this should matter.

Or vice versa, switching off the power supply to the logic while the power to the motor is still on. The motor would just stop abruptly, while still holding torque.

This is what I am trying to find out, whether it actually matters which sequence of switching on or off you follow. And I am not referring to disabling the drive with a switch by shorting CFG6 with Vcc_IO or through the software, because that's another subject..

Edward

Fri May 22, 2015 1:56 pm

my setup:

tmc2100 (GND and VIO ) is connected to the chipkit controller (GND and 5V)
this combination I switch on first.

then I switch on the 40V at the tmc2100 (GND and VM)

as an emergency brake I have a wired manual switch (the big red button..) for shortenig CFG6 with VCC_IO.
thats what Stephan Watterott told me to do - and NOT switching off the 40V while the dolly is moving.

at the end, first switch off the 40V, then the chipkit (with the tmc2100 connected)

that works fine for me :-)

Fri May 22, 2015 2:42 pm

Yes, my connections to the Arduino are the same as yours to the chipKit , apart from the 100uF capacitor that you don't have. And your switching order is logical.

Actually, it seems to work just as well if you only connect the GND from the Arduino to the GND of the driver, omitting the 5V to the VIO. I tried with and without the 5V to the the VIO and it worked without it too.

Fri May 22, 2015 2:59 pm

Hi Ed

I did write to Trinamic and received a response.

It is possible to run the drive chip completely from a single power supply. ie. say a 40v supply, where the TMC chip uses it's built in regulator to provide 5v logic power. The only disadvantage of this is increased heat generation by the chip, but if a good heat sink is used it needn't be a problem. They also suggested using a zener diode to initially drop the voltage to 24v.

Now what happens to the switch on order in this scenario I don't know, but seems it will be a close call which one starts up first!

So far everyone else says they are starting the logic first, but can anyone tell us what actually happens if they reverse this, or if it is simultaneous?

Ed - to emulate this scenario disconnect the +5v line between the step generator and the TMC. You may also need to bridge something on the TMC board.

Meantime. If you blow up any more chips then a message should go back to Trinamic. But hopefully the event was simply a freak occurrence?

Fri May 22, 2015 6:35 pm

Hi Gerald,

Some things get a little lost in translation or they are written in electronic jargon, or they assume you know. But not everybody is an electronics expert or a geek:)

I'll give an example:

pin CFG6 is the same as the ENABLE pin. It comes CLOSED by default. But I don't want it CLOSED, I want it OPEN, because open means that the driver is enabled and the current will drop when idle for 3s or more. which saves power and keeps the motor cooler when idle.

Fine, that's what I want, so how do I open the pin that comes CLOSED by default. Can this be physically done, by desoldering something, for instance? I still don't know. With other commercial drivers, you have a dip switch, or you can do it within the driver software.

Your explanation of how to feed the power supply to the logic seems crystal clear now. To repeat, either you supply the 5V with a separate regulated psu, or you don't. The choice is yours!

If you don't, no problem, because the supply to the motor will branch out internally and feed the logic with the 5V needed anyway. But the chip may get hotter because it has to do a little extra work to reduce from whatever you supply the motor with, say 24V, all the way down to 5V, and this extra work dissipates some extra heat, so make sure you have a heatsink….because chips don't like the heat, they become less effective, and you may not attain the higher currents that are possible with this driver, etc. etc.

I guess it's part of the fun of this, googling for info, asking in the forums, trying to guess, getting it wrong, and finally success!

Edward

Fri May 22, 2015 10:59 pm

I concur. Reading anything written by technicians can require a huge amount of translation. They often speak in a language only they understand, and like an Autistic person, have zero understanding how someone less intimate with the device would understand what they say. I have even been guilty of this at times myself....

Your description of the closed by default situation is classic. You'd need to study the tracks on the board to see if this is literally true, or perhaps it is only meant metaphorically? i.e some inputs may have internal pullup or pull down resistors - which which do hold them "closed" or "open" by default, without having an actual physical link to logic - or logic +.

So yes it is quite ambiguous when this statement is made... and I don't think it's just a case of lost in translation...

The only thing I will add, is that the inverse situation can be a lot worse. ie. The stuff you can receive as a technical requests. "It doesn't work" "Why doesn't it work?" And this request is not accompanied by any useful information about the circumstances. So one is tempted to ask questions like "Did you turn it on?", "Did you read the manual?" etc... :)

Sat May 23, 2015 12:25 am

Here is the latest, in case someone is interested, my latest tests with the TMC2100 driver.

I really don't know why I fried one driver previously. I strongly suspect it was because I hadn't set the current to the motor properly, I relied on doing it by ear, without a meter, but these drivers are so quiet, and so sensitive to over current, that it may well have been an excessive current draw that blew it.

Anyway, having learned my lesson, I have played conservative this time, with a new driver. This is what I have done:

1st. I've set up the current properly, using a multimeter and measuring the Vref voltage (with the motor not attached). I have set it to 0.48V which is maybe a little conservative. But according to the formula, it should be set to that, as a starting point. 0.48 x 2.5 = 1.2A (my motor is rated at 1.2A).

2nd. I have used an Arduino connected to the computer USB. I have just connected the STEP/DIR pins to pins 8,9 on the Arduino. I have also connected the Arduino GND to the drive GND. That's it! (I have not connected an external 5V supply to the driver VIO, so, in this case both the motor and the internal power to the driver are supplied with one single source, via the VM connection. For motor/driver power (VM), I have used a 12v wall plug-in psu, and later I have also tried it with a 24V psu.

3rd. I have loaded the Arduino with a sketch. I have used the AccelStepper library. A simple code that allows me to jog the motor with accel/decel either way with two buttons. The buttons have pull down resistors.

4th. I have tried switching on the motor/driver power first, and then the Arduino after. No problem. I have also done the opposite: Arduino first, then motor/driver second, no problem either. Big, big relax! OK, tried it again, and again and again….

I've tried the same as above with 24V. No problem either.

The driver barely gets warm. The Arduino doesn't have the oomph to drive it fast. ( With Mantis it flies, even with the 16x stealthChop! ) I am using a little heatsink secured with thermal tape. The motor doesn't get warm either, which tells me that I can be a little more adventurous and increase the current with the trimpot a little at a time, if needed.

Another thing: I haven't used a capacitor on the input contacts (VM, GDN)

I hope this helps someone, somewhere. I think the crucial thing is to do the current setting first, keep it low and then increase later if needed, once everything is working fine. If you overdo it with the current, you may fry it, so be gentle, very gentle ;)

Edward

Tue May 26, 2015 2:13 pm

1) Update for anyone in NA: I just ordered these from this link
http://www.filastruder.com/products/sil ... tor-driver

Hope they are legit, they look like it!

2) I don't really understand steppers too well - how do you increase torque - do you just increase the voltage of the power source or do you have to increase the amps too? Can you just use a voltage step up, or do you need something else as well?

When I use a slide axis stepper with my emotimo, I have to use a quite powerful motor. I have tried using a faster stepper motor but the torque was too low.

Right now I am using this one:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/14-1-Planetary- ... 1401336519?
Chinese 14:1 Nema 17, holding torque 3NM (also available from Phidgets)

I also used these from Phidgets (NEMA 17):
I used a 26.85:1 with 2.9NM holding torque
Also a 5.18:1 with 1.8NM holding torque

The "fast" Phidgets one always lost steps when use with DP Stage Zero (not enough torque I guess).

3) Any reason why no one is using DC motors with rotary encoder?
I really like that they are quieter and use less power / make less heat. But the coding for them seems like a PITA and looks way more complicated than just sending step and dir signals to a stepper motor controller.

I'm currently learning Java and am thinking of making an app to control some motors. It's easier to do for steppers but I keep thinking about a closed loop system...

Fri Jun 05, 2015 7:18 am

edward wrote:
Here is the latest, in case someone is interested, my latest tests with the TMC2100 driver.

The driver barely gets warm. The Arduino doesn't have the oomph to drive it fast. ( With Mantis it flies, even with the 16x stealthChop! ) I am using a little heatsink secured with thermal tape. The motor doesn't get warm either, which tells me that I can be a little more adventurous and increase the current with the trimpot a little at a time, if needed.

Edward

Do you mean the Arduino doesn't send step signals fast enough? In the accelstepper library it says a 16MHz Arduino (Uno, Mega etc) can only send max 4K steps per second (reliably). With the new Due I think it can send like 21K (maybe) (84/16 * 4000) assuming the steps per second increases linearly with processor speed.

I don't really understand the Data Sheet but I think it can receive max 31K steps per second.

Fri Jun 05, 2015 7:22 am

Hello ScotchTape

First up the torque of a stepper motor is primarily dependent on the current. At standstill and low rpm the voltage will have little or no influence. So to increase torque increase the current, but only so far as the motor does not cook! It should never get too hot to touch easily or you are on the way to meltdown...

As rpm increases - voltage does play a role. Put simply the current never gets time to reach it's peak so you are effectively running on less amps with less torque. So using a PSU with a higher voltage will allow you to push the motor to higher rpm. Naturally you must be careful not to use more volts than the drive is designed to deal with, or you may toast it.

However - you must also be aware that the torque curve for a stepper is not flat like a servo motor. So even with max voltage, the torque does decrease as the rpm increases. So for instance under a light load your motor might get up to decent speed, but stall when you run it under load. In that case you might need to use a bigger motor or use more gear reduction.

Now - all this assumes you are working within the parameters of the max step frequency of your controller and the max step response of the drive. They both have limits. If for instance your step generator can output very high step rates, there will be a point where the drive just plateaus and will not go faster. A modest Industrial drive like a Leadshine DM432 can accept up to 80khz, whereas an EasyDriver seems reputed to top out at 40khz though not without getting seriously hot.

So you need to make some basic math calculations to have some idea what the limits might be.

Using an Arduino with your quoted max rate of 4khz, and a motor with 200 steps per rev can theoretically go to 20 rev/sec or 1200rpm. That might seem fast to you, but normally you will run a stepper motor using micro-stepping, or else experience serious vibration and noise. Even an Easydriver uses 8x microstepping by default, then your max rpm is reduced by a factor of 8 = 150rpm! Quite a sad speed really... and at this rate increased voltage certainly won't help.

So if you are using an Arduino or similar device, expect that it's step rate might be the prime limiting factor, but do keep the voltage and current factors in mind, as well as how much load you are putting on the motor...

I hope that helps...

Fri Jun 05, 2015 11:12 pm

Thank you geraldft, that does make sense.

So far I have only used Unos at a variety of microstepping settings, all moving my motor quite "slowly"

The "slow" uno is why I just ordered the newer Due that is 5x as fast.
Should hopefully drive the steppers faster!

Mon Jun 08, 2015 2:42 pm

The past few weeks I worked on a Android-app to control my controller via Bluetooth 4.0.

There is a little preview of some functions.

Note: The app is in a very early development state, so the final version will look much better ;)

Photography-Website:

Sat Sep 19, 2015 1:42 am

Nice clean simple system that looks like it will work very well. Wish i could this app thing a lot better than boxes of electronics with fiddly buttons and knobs . Are you using the processing power of the smart phone or is their arduino type hardware to go with it ?
D1

Sat Sep 19, 2015 4:25 am

The system is still Arduino Mega based. It is the same PCB as in the first post. But now, the additional box with the LCD and Joysticks is no longer needed. The program-code is almost the same, I just added some interfaces for the communication between Arduino and Android.

The smartphone is just for easy setup and monitoring. The programm on the Arduino runs independently after the timelapse-routine is started. So it is not required to keep up the Bluetooth-connection all the time. So all relevant motion stuff is still done by the Arduino.

For classic shot-move-shot, the MEGA is sufficient. But if you are planning to do faster "real-time" movement, a faster microcontroller would be necessery.

If I find some time, I will run some tests with the Due to see whether the higher processing power is noticable.

Photography-Website:

Sat Sep 19, 2015 5:01 am

Very nice! A lot of people seem to be moving to an app as the user interface. We've even made an app plus controller for our focus motors. Ours works the same way. The phone is just the control panel. It can run the motors for realtime moves with adjustable speed and microstepping. For timelapse you set the shot up with the phone and then it runs all by itself without the phone.

Nice to see a controller for more axes that uses the phone as user interface. I hope it works out well for you. You've put an incredible amount of work into this.

Sat Sep 19, 2015 5:17 am

Another preview of some other functions (still in development):

Photography-Website:

Sat Sep 26, 2015 9:25 am

Another update on the software:

- Now I have included all 6 steppers into the Android app and Arduino firmware
- Control is now run by a Arduino Due instead of MEGA 2560
- Settings menu added so it is possible to configure each stepper individually (speed, microstepping etc.)

Video now with sound, so you can notice how silent those SilentStepStick-drivers really are ;)

Photography-Website:

Sun Oct 25, 2015 1:34 am

Very nice sort of thing i was really after when i was doing timelapse . Well done will you be doing a version that just outputs step direction controls . A lot of us already have driver boxes of some sort . Hows the real time functionality going .
D1

Sun Oct 25, 2015 2:23 am

The SilentStepStick-drivers are just plugged in into female header, so you can remove them without any problems and attach your STEP / DIR wires to the female headers.

If you are planning to use other drivers anyway, my custom designed shield would not be necessery. It is just designed to take up the SilentStepSticks. The other functions / components for camera shutter, camera voltage and battery voltage reading can be realized on a much smaller PCB / breadboard if you are not planning to use the SilentStepStick drivers.

The app and Arduino firmware will be for free on my website, so you can use them for your own projects (Arduino Due and HM-10 Bluetooth 4.0 module required):

http://puremoco.com/pages/androidapp.php
http://puremoco.com/pages/firmware.php

The realtime functionality was the reason why I switched to the Due instead of the MEGA 2560. Since I just implemented all functions for 6 axis movement, realtime movement is the next big point on my to-do list.

Photography-Website:

Sun Oct 25, 2015 2:45 am