It is currently Mon Nov 18, 2019 3:55 am

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 102 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Affordable Mark Roberts Pan Tilt Head? 

Post Re: Affordable Mark Roberts Pan Tilt Head?
Hi D1. On Wes Anderson's new animated feature they decided realtime was important enough to go with Mantis. Mantis also talks directly to Dragon Frame plus has a host of features you don't get with the DMC. I have also been adding some extra stuff especially for them. They do have experienced moco operators working on the crew and they seem very happy. Perhaps one day you might see the light? BTW I thought DMC was supposed to be realtime? - Though I've supplied Mantis to a few people who wanted to "upgrade" from DMC.. :)

Meanwhile - it would be interesting to hear how the DMC works in practice - not much info out there...

Mike - yes the Leadshines can drive pretty fast in the right circumstances. Nema 17 motors can reach above 2,000rpm and nema 23 motors can do 1,500rpm easily. I mainly use the DM856 and run either a 60vdc digital or a 70vdc transformer supply. The 60vdc is better for transporting but s noisier. I have tweaked the tuning occasionally, but like D1 - often need to swap motors and it's not always convenient to retune. In general the default settings work well enough.

Ed - yes servos can be your friend. Though overcoming the tuning issues can eat a lot of R&D time, plus the extra cables to deal with... G

Mon Feb 29, 2016 2:30 pm

Hi Gerald wondered who was doing the motion control on Andersons Dog thing . Dropped them a brief email but no response i just assumed their wasn't any motion control . As a director hes not renowned for moving the camera round , hes more into is symmetrical thing. But sounds like they got it covered anyways. Are you providing the hardware too . Chuck Steel are using Dynamic Perception stuff .
Yes the DMC 16 does real time but no time codes etc . Think Mantis as more options get the impression the DMC is like a point and shot camera . Basic but does the job( i hope ) It does output 200000 pulses a sec though so should be able to drive the motors as fast as they can go even with a fair amount of micro stepping.
Will let ya know how it goes .
D1

Mon Feb 29, 2016 3:14 pm

Hi. Correct - Wes's films have simple camera moves so it's all sliders and a few risers. Both films are using custom made gear. Trampires may be using DP sliders, but Mohan Sandhu made them some nice pan tilt heads. Justin Pentecost organised the hardware for Wes's film. I only supplied lens motors and software/controllers.

Re the DMC - well I guess it can only do what the software lets it - and DF moco is pretty basic - which I think is appropriate since animators don't want things complicated, and extra stuff would just clutter the program. But once you learn Mantis, the tool set lets you do even simple things faster and more precisely. It also lets you do a lot more things.

It's not all about pulses per second either. 200k is more than a lot of drives can handle anyway, though Mantis can do 500k... in fact it is capped, and could do 1.5 mhz. But that aside - I am doing a short animated film where we are planning POV s which have to emulate handheld shots. So I'm using a 3dof sensor attached to a camera which the director can operate while I record it. Then the file is loaded into Mantis.
For me it is important that the program has lots of accessible import and export options. G

Tue Mar 01, 2016 4:16 pm

Hi Gerald yes Chuck Steel/Trampires is using DP gear which i am not sure about . Their Pan Tilts puts the lens a bit off the nodal point which i am sure must look a bit odd when doing close up stuff http://nightofthetrampires.com/dynamic- ... oco-magic/. But the Mohan Sandhu rig is very nice surprised they just didn't get more of those .Maybe a cost thing not as much money in animation anymore . Have heard the Wes film doesn't pay to well . Mackinnon Saunders http://www.mackinnonandsaunders.com/ aren't doing the puppets this time,which is a shame.
Thought Andy Bowman would be on the Wes motion control . Not that i know him but hes been around for years and seems to have worked on most of the animation stuff in the Uk . Noticed his website doesn't work anymore maybe he as retired you prob know more than me

Yes the DMC is prob simple compared to Mantis but think it will do in this situation. But at least the CWD556 does match the 200k pulses so thats not a issue .http://cnc4you.co.uk/resources/CWD556%20Manual.pdf

Must admit all this real time stuff is a bit of a step in the dark for me and i am sure i will get a few things wrong . laser cutter been great though i can quickly make test rigs . Rather than relying on my slightly dodgy maths
The 3dof sensor as got me interested it would go great with my model mover . Was looking into ways of capturing real movements rather than animating them .
Will see how funds go on the Mantis front . I have had my hart set on a aluminum welder for the last two years so that may have to be first .
Is their any chance of a few video uploads of the new Mantis developments . Theirs not a lot out their .
D1
Ps its very easy to track hand held footage in after effects and use that that data on your footage . But i like your way better :D

Wed Mar 02, 2016 1:57 am

Hi. The 3dof Yost gizmo is pretty neat. I wrote an app that records the data in realtime and saves directly to a Mantis compatible file. I'll also integrate encoder inputs into the app. Then I can record a slider move at the same time.

I tested using a match move and it is very good, but not so good for under pressure, get it done situations...

I am always meaning to make some video demos, but always seem to get distracted... :)

G

Wed Mar 02, 2016 4:03 am

Hi Gerald 3dof sounds great is it using a drone gimbal board ? It would go perfectly with my Model mover. Nearly finished
[flickr]ImageScreenshot (125) by D 1, on Flickr[/flickr]
I could make i free traveling duplicate of the mover and the director could wiggle it about. Hey presto move captured just as the director wants it . Bet he still changes is mind though :D
Well you have got me thinking i would like Mantis theirs more ability to mess about . DMC a bit limited in that department and they dont seem willing to change that hey oh .
You might be getting a email from me on costs .

Wed Mar 02, 2016 5:23 am

Hi D1. The device is a Yost 3-space.

For your gimbal you would also need IK. Yost actually do a plugin for Blender so that might be the logical way to proceed. I believe if you connect to an IK model in Blender, you can record moves in real time - then you just need to export files to run the rig.

Ultimately though it would be better if you can link directly to the motorised stage and record it directly to moco.

The most obvious way is to build a small copy of the gimbal that can be hand manipulated - instead of motors it has encoders. (Commonly called a Waldo I believe.) The encoders can simply drive the rig via Mantis encoder inputs, and you can record and playback in real time. An advantage of this method is you will know immediately when you hit a limit and if the motors can handle the move. The main trick is making it smooth enough to operate easily.

A third option would be to hard code the Yost into Mantis so it controls the motors via IK. That would be the most difficult to implement - since it would require some heavy duty coding... and there are some unknown unknowns...

G

Wed Mar 02, 2016 4:06 pm

Hi Gerald i will look at the Yost thing but sounds like their might be a bit of coding involved . Bit of a brick wall for me .
Actually the encoder solution was as far as i got but code again . I found i nice hack of digital calipers which are perfect for making a model of my gimbal and really cheap .

My plan was to have three of these and just record the data and bung it into Dragon using the text file thing. I assume Mantis would be able to take the data from the calipers and drive the gimbal real time as well as record it and maybe edit it latter
As for virtual camera you prob seen this already but Avatar developed a rig for shooting CGi with a hand held rig .

Hacked versions out their now .

Lots to think about
Cheers D1

Thu Mar 03, 2016 1:40 am

Re Yost and Blender. I thought you were pretty ofay with Blender which is why I mentioned it? It doesn't need any coding, it's a plugin which lets you link the 3-space sensor widget to points on your model. Normally it's used for human body motion capture, but with just one sensor it should theoretically be easier. So assuming you can build a basic IK model of your rig, then you attach the sensor inputs to the top plate - it goes from there?

Once you have the data recorded in Blender - then yes you need to get it out. For Mantis there are existing plugins to export files. DF - well I don't know...

For my own application I can use the 3dof sensor directly since I will be outputting the data to a 3 axis head - so no IK is required.

As for calipers - the explanation is clear as mud, but reading between the lines, the output is likely in serial format which won't work with Mantis.. And for any recording software you'll need to do a fair bit of coding.. :(

You can buy linear encoders with a std TTL encoder output, or you can use std rotary encoders mechanically driven by your struts. And they don't need to be expensive.

So long as any Waldo you make is a scaled version of the real thing then it can drive Mantis in real time and record data realtime.

D

Thu Mar 03, 2016 3:28 am

Yes i had a look at the Yost thing it seems within my capabilities. Was going to build a IK rig of the model mover anyways so will put a Yost on my ever growing shopping list . It seems a bit more expensive than standard drone/gimbal boards but suppose for me the Blender interface is good .
Just had a thought as i am using ball screws on the gimbal the Ik model and data is a bit more complicated . I assume the Yost info is degrees of angular change .Yet the actual gimbal will need to transfer that into how much the ballscrew moves longitudinally? Thats prob as clear as mud too :(
Do like the name Waldo though never come across that on before .
Brief update on the Leadshine fiasco. Ordered a lead its the wrong one it was infact for DM422c . Which i assumed would be the same as the DM432c which as just a slightly larger Ampage . Well it shows its best not to assume things anyways thats the only lead i can find to buy . So it may be a matter of making my own if i can find pin out deatails . But losing interest rapidly any body want t buy some DM432C? :D

Thu Mar 03, 2016 4:18 am

DISPLACEMENT 1 wrote:
Yes i had a look at the Yost thing it seems within my capabilities. Was going to build a IK rig of the model mover anyways so will put a Yost on my ever growing shopping list . It seems a bit more expensive than standard drone/gimbal boards but suppose for me the Blender interface is good .
Just had a thought as i am using ball screws on the gimbal the Ik model and data is a bit more complicated . I assume the Yost info is degrees of angular change .Yet the actual gimbal will need to transfer that into how much the ballscrew moves longitudinally? Thats prob as clear as mud too :(
Do like the name Waldo though never come across that on before .
Brief update on the Leadshine fiasco. Ordered a lead its the wrong one it was infact for DM422c . Which i assumed would be the same as the DM432c which as just a slightly larger Ampage . Well it shows its best not to assume things anyways thats the only lead i can find to buy . So it may be a matter of making my own if i can find pin out deatails . But losing interest rapidly any body want t buy some DM432C? :D

Hi, D1, ref your lead, have a word with Gary at Zapp he is quite helpful and may be able source the right one, assuming you have not contacted him already.

http://www.vimeo.com/user1214873/videos
http://www.youtube.com/user/MrReggub

Thu Mar 03, 2016 11:39 am

Cheers Mike going to leave the leadshines in their box for a while . You did warn me of the lead front will sort it out when i have time .
Gerald if ya still out their this vid may explain the calipers thing a bit more . Its obviously possible to get measurement data into a CGI program .

D1

Thu Mar 03, 2016 12:25 pm

Hi D1.

My point about the calipers is that some people with knowledge can do this, but since you don't like coding that doesn't seem an option?

In any case - you may find more suitable linear encoders which don't need hacking if you want to make a professional Waldo and connect directly to Mantis... The example attached has 6 axes since it features 3 rotation axes plus vertical translation. Your rig is simpler with only two rotation axes plus vertical translation. Because of the vertical translation, the Yost is not ideal - since it can only do rotations. Also - since your rig is constrained not to allow slew, a Waldo can emulate it more literally.

Attachment:
Waldo.JPG
Waldo.JPG [ 15.65 KiB | Viewed 11544 times ]

Here is the cable wiring from the Leadshine web site. It's pretty simple. Basically cut an old network cable and solder 3 wires to the D9 connector.

I didn't know the 422 had a different cable. This one is listed for DM432C, DM442,DM556, DM856, 3DM683, AM882, DM1182, DM2282 but it also works for their servo drives. You do need an old fashioned serial port, so an older PC is preferable since serial adapters are not all equal...

Attachment:
LeadshineCable.JPG
LeadshineCable.JPG [ 22.59 KiB | Viewed 11544 times ]

Thu Mar 03, 2016 2:58 pm

geraldft wrote:
Hi D1.

My point about the calipers is that some people with knowledge can do this, but since you don't like coding that doesn't seem an option?

Its good to dream but you prob right :( .
As for my gimbal it is mounted on a revolve so it does have a slew axis .In fact its mounted on a track as well i just want to introduce as much light play on the model as possible .
Did consider a 6dof rig as your Waldo (Mark Roberts i believe ) But realised i couldn't control it with my limited knowledge of all things code . But on the plus side the Model Mover/Gimbal is modular so i could just make more liner actuators and bolt it all together in a 6Dof configuration .If i am ever able to control it would be a lot more usable . But i think i can have fun with the one i have :D .
Thanks for wiring diagram thought it wouldn't be to difficult . Will tackle it when this new rig out of the way . Just assemble new PT head . Think its studio proof !
D1

Fri Mar 04, 2016 1:21 am

"But realised i couldn't control it with my limited knowledge of all things code "

That's why they use the Waldo... it doesn't require IK code - the plungers are directly linked to each motor.

The 6 axis design actually goes way back and has been used for entertainment ride hardware for quite some time. The big name was Moog... (not of the synthesisers but of the motors variety...) I guess the advantage was they didn't need a massive turntable to provide some rotation as well... where as a turntable underneath will allow infinite slew if necessary - which was definitely not wanted on rides...!

G

Fri Mar 04, 2016 2:15 am

Ah yes i see the IK is in the actual waldo clever! and if i made a waldo Mantis could control my model mover . That would be 4 encoders lets forget about the track for the time being .
6dof gimbals have the advantage they go a bit side to side back forwards . Also means if ya have a model on a stick above the gimbal you should be able to get the center of movement within the center of the model . With mine you cant so i will have to get the model as close to the gimbal as possible but then you have keying issues. :(
D1

Fri Mar 04, 2016 2:49 am

BTW D1 - appreciate if you can feedback re DMC. I mean it's basically twice the cost of Mantis so what does it offer you in reply? Some things mystify me... :( G

Wed Mar 09, 2016 1:18 am

geraldft wrote:
BTW D1 - appreciate if you can feedback re DMC. I mean it's basically twice the cost of Mantis so what does it offer you in reply? Some things mystify me... :( G

Hi Gerald it hasn't turned up yet and i will let you know how it goes . In this case we are just after simple moves which maybe the animator can quickly set up themselves within Dragonframe .
Been looking at Mantis more you say it interfaces with DF how does that work ? If the animator wants to re shoot a few frames from a set point does Mantis take rig back to that point automatically . . Does the move info appear on Dfs X sheet ? A video on the Dragonframe interface would be good it may get you a lot more customers .
But as i have said if i personally go real time it will prob be Mantis just for the development potential . In my opinion thats the big difference between the DMC and Mantis . DMC limtited but very simple and tied to DF in every respect . Mantis sounds good for more compex applications or a man in a shed who wants to explore things .
Just my opinion and i havent used the DMC yet so things my change . Never assume ! :D
D1

Wed Mar 09, 2016 1:42 am

In terms of DF it basically follows - so if you step back it also steps back to the same frame. You can also over-ride this if you need. It works pretty much the same as Flair in that respect.

Re Xsheets? Perhaps you can explain how that might be useful...

A significant point is that having moco as a separate program can be an advantage since it enables the animator and programmer to work independently when necessary.

Mantis is a flexible general purpose realtime moco program - animation is only one of it's uses. It's also used by special effects, for example moving big models in real time, and even running multi-cable rigs.

BTW - I haven't seen any demo videos on DMC16. Do let us know how it goes... Interested to see what does it offer above a basic Arduino interface? Which let's face it, is using the same software...

Wed Mar 09, 2016 3:50 am

Hi Gerald think we basically saying the same thing .
i asked about the X sheet just as a indication of what information was passed between Df and Mantis thats all.
Think in this case it may be the programmer and animator are the same person :D
Def agree Mantis great for special effects prob why i will go for it when i got my welder.
Their are a few Volo vids out their which is running the DMC . You prob Googled it . But my client liked this said yep this will do the job
Its still not turned up yet and its dinner time :(
D1
geraldft wrote:
In terms of DF it basically follows - so if you step back it also steps back to the same frame. You can also over-ride this if you need. It works pretty much the same as Flair in that respect.

Re Xsheets? Perhaps you can explain how that might be useful...

A significant point is that having moco as a separate program can be an advantage since it enables the animator and programmer to work independently when necessary.

Mantis is a flexible general purpose realtime moco program - animation is only one of it's uses. It's also used by special effects, for example moving big models in real time, and even running multi-cable rigs.

BTW - I haven't seen any demo videos on DMC16. Do let us know how it goes... Interested to see what does it offer above a basic Arduino interface? Which let's face it, is using the same software...

Wed Mar 09, 2016 5:34 am

Hi D. One of the videos does show the interface in action. The basic process for making keys and building a move is quite common to all programs, only the details change a bit. I think Arcmoco is not a bad interface, but obviously can be limited in the long run.

Beyond that it would be interesting to hear what others have to say...

Oh and here's a video - does it help? :)

Made with Mantis...

Wed Mar 09, 2016 9:43 pm

Hi Gerald nice video . You do work on some nice productions if ya ever need any models making ? :D
One thing i remembered about the ArcMoco interface is motion graphics people like it . I occasionally rent my rig out to guys in Manchester who are used to using After Effects . The ArcMoco interface is very similar to AE timeline key frame etc so the transition over to a real rig is a piece of cake .
As you say it would be nice if their was more input . Maybe other poeple could video document their use of Mantis . Theirs a lot of DitoGear vids on Df out their

By the way does Mantis come with a instruction manual ? Flair comes with quite a weighty tome 265 pages!
D1

Thu Mar 10, 2016 1:27 am

Hi D1.

Earlier you were considering using cheap digital calipers to encode data. I came across this page that explains the data format in some detail.

http://www.shumatech.com/support/chinese_scales.htm

It is best described as a "digital serial" signal. To be honest it makes my head spin a bit when considering how to read this data... luckily there are smarter people who provide canned solutions based on Arduino's etc. However, these solutions are aimed at providing visual numeric data, whereas using the data to do something physical like control a motor in real time, or being able to record it, would require more work.

While it's true data can be obtained from most cheap chinese calipers, the linear scales designed for milling machines and lathes are actually much better. Yuri explains it quite well here...

http://www.yuriystoys.com/2013/12/selec ... r-dro.html

Anyway - I trust this will put it more in perspective...

Wed Mar 30, 2016 6:11 pm

Hi Gerald that funny i was looking at DROs the other day . As you know i am looking for a new lathe and i hate working out depth cuts using those little dials and handles . In i fact got as far as mounting a old set of digital calipers on the cross feed. If i was to get a good set of DRO for a lathe it would be cheaper to put steppers on feeds and run it of Mach which gives you position information and control . So for time been it may be a set of cheap calipers.
As for model mover gave it a bit more thought . I have done quite a bit of motion tracking in AE and Blender. I was wondering if it would just be possible to get movement data for the gimbal from that motion tracking data .
Anyways bit busy at mo gimbal been put on the back burner . The DMC turned up just getting PT head finished so not really had time to do any testing yet . Will let you know how it goes ,
D1

Thu Mar 31, 2016 12:13 am

D1,
Here's a video on using a digital tyre tread guage as DRO on a lathe...

Kit

Thu Mar 31, 2016 8:20 pm

D1, I also would love a look at that there DMC. I just found out that a friend of mine worked on the animation in The Little Prince, which was shot here in Montreal. He was using the Volo crane and absolutely loved it. They are now working with MRMC stuff and he doesn't like it. An for Gerald I put a word in for Mantis.

Sun Apr 03, 2016 9:02 am

Hi Doug hows it going ? I will do a proper thing on the DMC 16 when new rig is finished the old one isn't really designed to mate up to the DMC .
Funny what you say about your friend missing the Volo and been a bit disappointed with MRMC . I have had discussions with what I call proper cameramen and they don't like the DF arc set-up they much prefer MRMC . Think this says more about professional cameramen rather than the gear. If its got Arri or Panalux written on it they will use it if it hasn't then its no good !
Think this way of thinking should be a thing of the past. I aint a tech snob if it does the job then its fine by me .
The world of film editing was a bit of a mystery years ago you had to spend a fortune on a Avid suite . You can get good results on a smart phone these days and anybody can have a go . The smoke and mirrors of the trade are slowly breaking down yeah! .
Affordable motion control is part of that processes I wonder how MRMC sales are these days .Prob quite good I suppose theirs still a lot of old school camera boys out their ;)
D1

Sun Apr 03, 2016 11:21 am

DMAN,
I think you hit the nail on the head. MRMC could be sweating but they do offer quite a range of rigs now. My friend was working with Jamie Caliri of DF. He moved here for the duration of The Little Prince shoot. Too bad, I wish I had known he was in town, could have sat down for a beer and a chat about all things moco. Although I think it is his brother Dyami who is the motion control guy. I notice the Volo webpage is almost offline. All there is is an email link. As for the other comments, I do think there is a bias if something doesn't have an ARRI logo or now a RED logo on it. I agree, if something works use it.

As for me,
going good. I am working on an animation for the Stopmo Jam over at the Stopmo website, and of course mine will have a good amount of moco movement. Just wish my animation skills were better. Oh well, onward and upward.
Cheers.

Sun Apr 03, 2016 4:43 pm

Hey Doug yes so your little test for the StopMoJam . Me a bit busy for that at mo and to be honest couldn't think of anything to do . Its a very restrictive brief but suppose thats part of the challenge.
Afraid the Volo is no more :( In a way thats how i ended up building this new crane . Not many options out their if you need a affordable MoCo crane . Ditogear do do a attachemt for their Omihead but it doesn't look that stable to me .
Was thinking about the DMC thing i will start a different thread for it . Was wondering if you would do the same for Mantis . All i have been able to find so for are a few screen shots. Which is less than their is on the Volo/DMC to be honest . You can do it on your face book page if ya like i can still view it yeah :D
D1

Mon Apr 04, 2016 12:47 am

Hey DMAN,
You want me to start a thread about Mantis? I'd love to but I think Gerald would be the guy to do that. I could put together some vids showing how Mantis connects to DF maybe, if it's ok with Gerald.
On a side note, if the Volo guys aren't building cranes anymore I think I'll have to start making them. I figure I could make a pretty good product, machined aluminum, the whole nine yards.

Tue Apr 05, 2016 3:53 pm

Hi, Mantis topics, there is already an area on site for Mantis related threads: http://forum.timescapes.org/phpBB3/viewforum.php?f=48

Tue Apr 05, 2016 11:18 pm

Hi Doug/ Mike i have mentioned in the past to Gerald more info on Mantis would be good . Think he likes the personal approach so was hoping somebody else would take up the challenge hey oh i tried .
On the subject of the Volo i never founded a definitive price for it especially in UK after taxes etc . The DMC uncured taxes of £270.83 plus original cost it came to £1541.83 so not cheap .
Think i did see a price of about £23000 but wasn't sure if that included the head or not . Just not sure how big a market their is for this stuff and think the robot arm is prob way to go now if you know how to interface with them. The smaller ones can be picked up for about £3500 put it on a track you got a rig that is better than a crane . When first started looking at the robot arm thing i did bid on a lovely Denso one .I lost but it only went for £700 i think so somebody got a bargain.
D1

Wed Apr 06, 2016 12:41 am

Hi, D1, a good idea about Mantis thread, I was just pointing out there is already a topic area that a thread could be started. Finished my Slew bearing will get a couple of images loaded soon, got distracted by a new toy with dual 8 core Xeons, 128Gb memory 5K Dell monitor and more. Runs 4K footage in Da Vinci Resolve in real time :D

£23,000 seems to ring a bell for the Volo sure about taxes.

Wed Apr 06, 2016 2:48 am

Hi Mike yeah dont care where the Mantis review is or comes from would just liked a third party independent review of some kind . Any thing i ever buy is always proceeded by weeks of reading various reviews . Thats part of the fun infact just got me new welder :D https://www.r-techwelding.co.uk/tig-wel ... dc-160amp/ . Lots of reading went into that one and i can recommend the company very good service.
Bet you spent a bit of time researching your new beast of a puter . Sounds great i just about manage on me laptop .
Did you ever get camera you was looking at ?
Look forward to your slew mines working well a lot better than my old thrust bearing solution . But thats part of the processes improving your previous version . In fact new Pt head quite speedy want a Phantom 4 K now :D

Wed Apr 06, 2016 4:30 am

DISPLACEMENT 1 wrote:
Hi Mike yeah dont care where the Mantis review is or comes from would just liked a third party independent review of some kind . Any thing i ever buy is always proceeded by weeks of reading various reviews . Thats part of the fun infact just got me new welder :D https://www.r-techwelding.co.uk/tig-wel ... dc-160amp/ . Lots of reading went into that one and i can recommend the company very good service.
Bet you spent a bit of time researching your new beast of a puter . Sounds great i just about manage on me laptop .
Did you ever get camera you was looking at ?
Look forward to your slew mines working well a lot better than my old thrust bearing solution . But thats part of the processes improving your previous version . In fact new Pt head quite speedy want a Phantom 4 K now :D

Hi, quite agree researching is half the fun, hope the tig works out well for you. Rendering 4K, Laptop i7 with 16Gb and SSD, a couple of hours, new one measured in minutes.
A Phantom would be cool, I got a Sony RX100 iv to go on holiday with, runs 250/500/1000 frames for 2seconds, also 4K with slog2 , it is quite light and almost fits in the pocket.
My other camera is coming along slowly, Apertus Axiom beta, the first batch is being built now and Magic Lantern are helping develop imaging etc. so another 6 months or so away for mine.
Manits, remember that split video/timelapse sequence I shot in my workshop?

Wed Apr 06, 2016 5:07 am

Hi Mike yes i remember your split time video . It worked very well its a pain image size is slightly different between video and stills . But you managed to get round it .
Just had a quick look at your Sony camera amazing what you get in small bodies these days . Their seems to be a few high speed options now . Last time i looked it was a bit limited and expensive . So when its time for a camera change i can see a new hobby developing . Unfortunately theirs a lot of life in the Nikon yet :(
Sounds like the Axiom will go well with your super puter :D
D1

Thu Apr 07, 2016 12:57 am

Hey Doug. It's perfectly ok if you want to post details of your experience. The thing is - if I make a video extolling the virtues it can just be seen as an advertisement. D1 wants third party experiences and I can understand that for commercial products , though Mantis is not quite in that category.. In fact there almost zero third party reviews of any motion control systems - to be frank, most the Utube clips are barely concealed ads for the product. And even for the most expensive of systems like Flair - can you show me a user review on that? So the best I could do is make some how to videos. (And while they are on my bucket list other stuff always seems to demand attention.. like software updates) In practice I've never been asked for detailed visual aids by those who purchased the system. Seems most people just figure it out and appreciate it easily enough... and if they do need advice or tips I will always respond. Apparently it even has some fans.

Bottom line -look at the features/price/suppport and does it do what you need? The rest is often hype... :)

Thu Apr 07, 2016 4:41 am

Got it. I will shoot some stuff of my impressions of Mantis and maybe some vids of integration with DF. Maybe some other stuff about how Mantis can cure all known illnesses and how it will feed the worlds hungry! Whoops! I don't think I was suppose to mention those bits:)

Thu Apr 07, 2016 3:50 pm

Hi Doug. Look forward to seeing your StopMo Jam. Check the latest v 3.7.4 for an update on DF Simple Serial control. Unless you are still using the GPO trigger?

Thu Apr 07, 2016 3:55 pm

Yeah, me too! I'm having problems with keying something out of the shot! I downloaded the new update and as soon as I'm done my animation I will install it. I am still using the GPO but I'm going to try the new update with the USB null cable. Hope I can still use the go-motion capabilities in DF.

Fri Apr 08, 2016 7:06 am
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 102 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next