It is currently Sun Nov 17, 2019 8:02 pm

Affordable Mark Roberts Pan Tilt Head? 

Post Re: Affordable Mark Roberts Pan Tilt Head?
Thanks Doug look forward to you Mantis presentation i am sure you will do a very good job of it . I will try and do something similar for DMC while i still have it . I wont be talking to camera though i dont do that .
Hi Gerald been looking more at motion capture for my gimbal . I think i can do the capture and apply it to a cube .So this would give me axis rotation data i could export out .But the big problem is the gimabal is linear rather than rotational . I might have to dust of my limited knowledge of pythagoras theorem :(
Anyways vids on motion capture i can do that :D

D1

Fri Apr 08, 2016 10:33 am

Here D1. I made one. No running commentary but trust you get the idea...

The big thing with this technique is it is immediate. The YOST device can be taped onto a camera and the DOP or Director operates a shot in real time. This is a great technique for quickly creating move files with a human touch. I have been using it on my latest animation project especially for POV shots, often the movement is quite subtle, but it's nice to have a bit of random movement, since in animation most often the camera is very static...

Sat Apr 09, 2016 12:52 am

Hey Gerald thats great even get to see more of Mantis hope it gets a good few views . I will say now the DMC cant do any of that with out going through a lot of pain in excel and thats its limitation.
The Kuper file seems the same as a Nuke file i can get out of Blender . Pan tilt roll just in a list of Numbers. Infact just noticed their is a Nuke import option in Mantis. So either method of getting motion data could be used i think .
Thanks for vid i am not bothered about lack of voice over i just like watching screen captures. I can usually sus whats going on . If you do more that would be much appreciated .
Thanks D1

Sat Apr 09, 2016 2:32 am

d1 - I will try and update the sound - I realise it's a bit thin, I'm sometimes a bit shy about talking, and was hoping to get time to add some subtitles at least. The capture file format can be easily adapted to Nuke or Maya .mov etc. The differences are actually quite trivial in a coding sense. BTW I am consulting on the sequel to Beasts of the Southern Wild. Now that is a cool project...

Edit : Yes Nuke .chan, Kuper .asc. Maya .mov, Maya .ma are all supported. As mentioned they are all very similar, just lists of numbers...

Sat Apr 09, 2016 2:40 am

Hi Gerald do what you have time for but that was plenty for me .
Beast of the Southern Wild was a magical film didnt realize their was going sequel hope it goes well . Not sure what i am doing after this crane all rather intermittent over here . Did contact the Wes film about props and vehicles but didnt want to leave the shed and go to London . I dont travel well :(
D1

Sat Apr 09, 2016 2:59 am

Hi Gerald if ya out their thought you might be interested in this . A slight variation on the techno crane . Not sure how it works yet the head is still kept level mechanically but the boom can slide back and forth . Very clever very nice rig bit of a baby milo cant find anymore details on it unfortunately

Wed Apr 13, 2016 12:32 am

Hi. Zoran from Serbia wanted to buy Mantis but said he had money issues and I never heard from him after that. The rig looks a lot like a clone of MILO - i.e the mechanical geometry is the same. I'd make a guess he is maybe using Flair...

The final image with the Canon DLSR is a bit of an anticlimax no?

Cheers G :(

Wed Apr 13, 2016 1:58 am

Was wondering what he was using to control it assumed it would have been Mantis thats why i mentioned it . If money was a issue cant see flair been cost effective unless hes got a demo version/old of it . You cant save moves though now a few people who leave their rigs powered up for that very reason .
Yes Canon a bit dispointing but lots of room their for bigger things . Actually head is is the only bit letting it down no roll .
So your hi speed test very impressive and you right prob as good as arm . But def a lot more arms out their these days . New one every week almost theirs a lot of manufacturing robots out their to convert

Wed Apr 13, 2016 3:02 am

Hi D1.

He would have had to pay through the nose for Flair unless he found a s'hand controller.. It can't do anything without the control box.. re the DSLR - well my thought was - is this all it can move?

[Edit] In another clip he does show it with a Red Epic so question answered... do MRMC have any patents on Milo I wonder?

BTW D1 - how do your friends run a rig with Flair? Given issue about control box...

BTW - had another look at Flair recently. Must say it looks pretty hard to get into and some things are a bit clunky. By comparison Mantis has more in common with Arc.

Main difference is that Flair has separate windows for keyframe lists and the graphs, whereas in Arc and Mantis they are combined. Flair default graph interpolation is exactly the same as Mantis - ie. without the Bezier handles found in Arc.

I might be biased but I do think Mantis is the best overall. Arc looks flashier and not that hard to get into, though I don't like some of the tiny icons, and it does lack depth and features. Though it is quite ok for basic animation moves.

Flair is the one you need to run a Milo since it has the 3D integration and IK for that rig. Otherwise Flair seems un-intuitive and showing its age...

Re the new robot post.. Hmm - Robot arms seem like a dime a dozen these days. I don't imagine these guys are actually making much from their investment... just riding on the reputation maybe that Marmalade first established..

Recently I was offered yet another robot system from Germany for 90K Euro plus import duty etc...

What matters in the end is how creative you are, and how well you understand mechanical limitations and potential... There is no magic wand for all this...

Wed Apr 13, 2016 3:42 am

One cool looking rig:

http://www.vimeo.com/user1214873/videos
http://www.youtube.com/user/MrReggub

Fri May 06, 2016 9:27 am

Hi Mike its that NAB time of year again ! Lots of interesting stuff as usual makes you wonder how they fair after release
Catch the towards end of this one

Crazy scissor thing :o
D1

Fri May 06, 2016 11:44 am

Oh god you got me looking now :D

Fri May 06, 2016 11:47 am

Some interesting machinery, saw the concertina crane. I guess some of these will sell well, many are probably tailored to specific jobs and low sales but hopefully many of the ideas will stimulate some innovative designs in DIY projects.
Keep on looking, could there be another thread developing :D

Edit: My prototype wooden "C" crane Mk1 moves from about 2 O'clock to 11 O'clock before jamming. Not sure why they jam at different points or what I need to do to get 360 degree rotation yet. maybe the short spacers need altering.

Edit: looking at video a few times the arm is never in a fully extended position which confirms my thoughts that mechanically the set up cannot travel 360 :oops:

Fri May 06, 2016 11:23 pm

Hi, D1, sorry about this but you may be interested in the mechanics of the dolly slider / counterweight slider design. Neat I thought and great looking engineering.

Mon May 09, 2016 1:37 am

Maybe it is of interest for someone...the MRMC SFH 50 seem to use Schneider Electric MDrive 17 Motors

http://motion.schneider-electric.com/pr ... hp?nema=17

Sun Aug 28, 2016 11:27 am

This product also doesn't look too dissimilar from the MR option, no connection with the company.

http://www.senna.hr/products/dslr-camer ... econd-head

Fri Sep 02, 2016 3:21 am

Yep this is how this thread started . Have a look at first page otherwise this thread will do one big circle all based on cheap tele mount:D

Fri Sep 02, 2016 5:52 am

DISPLACEMENT 1 wrote:
Yep this is how this thread started . Have a look at first page otherwise this thread will do one big circle all based on cheap tele mount:D

Or expensive ones in this case - LOL

Fri Sep 02, 2016 6:50 am

Not as expensive as the Mark Roberts incarnation but yep a bit of a rip off really . But if ya havent got the knack of hacking it may seem a bargain who knows ?
Are ya battening down for winter Mike ? Feeling rather autumnal at mo :(

Fri Sep 02, 2016 7:54 am

DISPLACEMENT 1 wrote:
Not as expensive as the Mark Roberts incarnation but yep a bit of a rip off really . But if ya havent got the knack of hacking it may seem a bargain who knows ?
Are ya battening down for winter Mike ? Feeling rather autumnal at mo :(

Hi, D1, plenty to do before the hatches close ;) Out with the ladder and pruning saw soon, plenty of trees / shrubs need a short back and sides. Nephew and 9 week old pup to keep me occupied until next week then going South again shortly to find the sun 8-)
Hope to get back in the workshop soon although the Forest trees are starting to turn so out with the camera hopefully.
Hope your keeping busy, I see your last project has gone to a new home, successfully I hope.

Fri Sep 02, 2016 10:15 am

Yep gone new home didn't really have time to play with it myself which is a shame prob best rig i have build to date . Everybody seems happy with it main use animation so requirements less demanding . But that been said it was no slouch on the real time front . Once i got new mill/router up and running i might be in the mood to build another one .
Still got this advert to get out of way and get my aluminium smelting underway just to consolidate all the piles of scrap ali i have . Quite like this time of year and living in the New Forest must be spectacular . But only thing that spoils it is knowing winter round corner . Hey Oh

Fri Sep 02, 2016 12:13 pm

A friend bought one of these heads. Very light weight and adjustable. Motors are direct drive via belt but would work better with small planetary gears to increase ratio. Seems like a good alternative to servo city for moco...

Attachment:
Yakai.jpg
Yakai.jpg [ 23.19 KiB | Viewed 8652 times ]

http://yakaitech.en.alibaba.com/productgrouplist-802732013/pan_tilt_head.html

Wed Nov 02, 2016 6:08 pm