It is currently Fri Nov 22, 2019 4:48 am

Ramper Pro Questions 

Post Ramper Pro Questions
Hello everyone. I've been reading the boards for awhile but this is my first post. I am active on other photography forums in the stock photography side of the business, but am starting to shoot time lapse at another level. I've done quite a bit of non-axis shooting in basically static light conditions but have not used any light ramping systems until now. I am getting into night to day and day to night and astro photography. Will be shooting in Joshua Tree in two weeks.

I purchased a Ramper Pro from Kessler and was wondering if there might be any technical wizards in here who know that unit well. One question I have concerns the JPG histogram feature where the unit loads a JPG to analyze its histogram to adjust exposure. The manual and also an email from Elysia Visuals said that you need at least a 10 second interval (maybe shower with a D810 which I'm shooting with) for the image to write to the card for analysis. I have responded to them asking what if I want to shoot 1-2 second intervals during the daytime and adjust the unit for longer intervals for nighttime, what happens to the functionality off the Ramper if I have it set to read JPG histograms but am shooting at short intervals? Does the unit still work? Does it crash or freeze up? Will it automatically switch to the light sensor then switch to the histogram method once the interval reaches a length where the JDP can write to the card?

Appreciate any advice in this area and any other suggestions you might have as I jump into ramping.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Joe

Thu Nov 03, 2016 2:48 pm

Post Re: Ramper Pro Questions
Joe,
Have a look at a piece of software called LR Timelapse at the link below. This has been around for a few years, initially as freeware and now as a commercial product. It smooths the exposure in post so your capture interval is not an issue. You will need a mechanism to change exposure during the shoot but discrete jumps will be removed later.

http://lrtimelapse.com/

Kit

Sat Nov 05, 2016 5:53 pm

Also this software posted recently seems pretty good?

http://forum.timescapes.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=13434

Sat Nov 05, 2016 7:10 pm

Thanks for that. I just shot a 1250 image sequence and about 3/4ths of the way through it blew out about 200 of the images, then slowly ramped down to a better exposure. So this sequence is ruined and I don't know why it happened. Any ideas?

Joe

Sat Nov 12, 2016 6:46 pm