It is currently Wed Dec 11, 2019 7:44 pm

Leadshine Drivers and Protune software 

Post Leadshine Drivers and Protune software
Has anybody used the Protune software?

I have some DM432c drivers and so far no luck getting protune to work. I am using Leadshines very own cable, pretty sure my drivers are real lead-shine drivers. I got them from http://www.omc-stepperonline.com/leadshine-dm432c-digital-stepper-driver-1840vdc-with-0332a-p-76.html

I have a RS232 to USB cable, running a windows 10 machine. It took some registry work to get it running on win10, the software opens but it does not seem to ever connect to the driver

I spoke to a guy at leadshine and he said the problem is probably a bad RS232 to USB (my pc does recognize it for what it is, i assume it is good)
He said the other possible issue is the fact im running win 10 and may need to try with a windows XP machine.

Has anyone successfully used the protune software? if so, what is your setup?

Thu Dec 01, 2016 11:09 am

Post Re: Leadshine Drivers and Protune software
Hey Chris,
I have used the Protune software but I am running Win8.1 sooooo maybe it is Win10 that is screwing around. My setup is pretty simple, plug in the cable and as long as the computer recognizes it you fire it up and go. When you startup the software you have to find the port that the cable is attached to but that is easy peasy. That being said I use the software to tune down a couple of drives for motors that take less amps than you can get using the dip switches. There are a few parameters that you can play with to dial in your drive but for me they are a mystery. Gerald maybe can chime in as to how you use those other sliders to adjust the motor/drive.

my two cents Chris.

Cheers.

Fri Dec 02, 2016 10:08 am

Hi Doug

Problems with Protune are not OS related. Assuming serial port driver is correctly installed, problems are either Serial Port config issues, or software version mismatch.

To config you need to look up the actual port number of your serial port. This is easy on older PC's with an inbuilt serial port since it's usually com 1 or 2. For USB adapters it will be some other random number. To find the port number look it up in device manager.

The second most common connection problem is with the software version. Leadshine release many undocumented changes which mean the same software does not always work for all drives - even of the same model number. So check online with Leadshine main site as well as your supplier for alternate versions to try.

Re tuning I have played with that a bit, but mainly the software is useful for setting current to a value other than available via dip switches. With smaller motors not much is normally gained by tweaking filters. With larger motors, which resonate more, it can be helpful. You can also set the drive back to factory default if you mess things up a bit...

Mon Dec 05, 2016 7:31 pm

im using
http://www.leadshine.com/Download.aspx?Type=software
" ProTuner for the DM Series Stepper Drives.
including the DM422, DM422C, DM432C, DM442, DM556 V1.0, DM556 V2.0, DM856 V1.0, DM856 V2.0, DM870 V1.0, DM870 V2.0, DM1182, DM2282, 3DM683 V1.0, 3DM683 V2.0, 3DM2283"

no 9 pin serial connector on any of my computers. I am using a USB to serial adapter and find the port in the device manager. It errors out if i use any port other than the arbitrary one found in the device manager.
It looks like it is all connected using that port and the baud is unchangeable.

yet no dice when connecting to the driver.

I got mine from OMC-Stepperonline, maybe they sell fakes?

Tue Dec 06, 2016 12:22 pm

Did you get your stepper drivers from OMC to ? Just asking because thats ware i got mine from it does make you wonder if its just a bad batch . They are crap still haven't found a use for them :(
D1

Tue Dec 06, 2016 12:41 pm

http://www.omc-stepperonline.com/leadsh ... -p-76.html

got em from here. I cant log into them but they work fine. they just stall out at higher speeds that the CWD's can handle just fine, and i cant log into them.

Tue Dec 06, 2016 1:57 pm

Hey DMAN,
you just send them there drivers this a way:)

Hey Chris,
when I use my software the first thing I get when I fire it up is a dialogue box asking me to choose the port that the cable is attached to. I also ordered the cable from OMC so it does work, at least mine does. When you are asked about which port you, or I should say I, get a choice of quite a few, half dozen. If I choose the wrong port then yeah I get an error message of the kind. As soon as I get correct port, it connects to the drive and a green indicator can be seen in the upper corner of the window of the software. Not a lot of bells and whistles. I believe the port use is No 3. I just have to remember what port as it asks me every time I fire up the software. Other than Windows 10 maybe needs some kind of tweaking, like when I first used my Mantis controller back with Win8.1, that is about as simple as the procedure should be. As I said I use a USB to Serial adapter and everything works. Maybe that cable is screwed? Maybe?

I don't think you should have to go into the device manager and even if you do it will probably see that port has a cable attached but the software still maybe doesn't work. That was happening to me when I was using an adapter that I cobbled together. The computer saw it a s an USB/serial adapter but there was no communication through that cable. Not sure how to check a cable fro data transfer.

Wish I had better advice.

Tue Dec 06, 2016 2:08 pm

BIO - It's unlikely you have fake drives, though some are made for the Chinese market vs export, and there can be some differences. Hence different software versions.

I should add some adapters just don't work properly. I use the one supplied by AMT. AMT also have downloads for software. In fact I notice they don't sell the 432 anymore, just 422 and 442 - and when you check the software for those models you find : "ProTuner_DM870V2" so maybe try that...

http://www.americanmotiontech.com/

Going in to device manager is just so you can check the correct com port number for your adapter... which you must set as per Doug's explanation.

Another thing to try, if everything else fails, is run the laptop from a battery. It's always possible there is some kind of ground loop causing interference to the serial port, depending on how your drives and PSU are wired.

G

Wed Dec 07, 2016 3:38 pm

Thanks geraldft

I somehow managed to procure a Compaq Presario, circa 1999 with windows 98 and a DB9 serial connector on the back. This thing is in remarkable condition and still works just fine. It belongs in a museum!

Luckily it does have a USB so I can transfer the protune software, because the RJ11 connects to a modem not an ethernet card. hahahaha

Fri Dec 09, 2016 4:01 pm

Sounds good BIO. I hope the software likes W98... :)

Note that a lot of earlier Del Laptops also had hardware serial ports.

Fri Dec 09, 2016 4:51 pm