It is currently Thu Nov 21, 2019 3:21 pm

What's the max. weight your slider can lift vertically? 

Post What's the max. weight your slider can lift vertically?
Hi,

I am actually optimizing my DIY slider in terms of stepper size, gear transmission ratio, etc. Since I also want to use it in almost vertical position together with a bit heavy load (pan/tilt head, controller, FF DSLR plus heavy lense). Total weight to lift is around 5kg, which just is the limit actually with a NEMA14 stepper and 5:1 gear. Since the used planetary gear on the stepper is not self-locking, there is a chance the whole equipment crashes down if overloaded or power is down. I have to add a secure mechanism to prevent this.

What's the max. weight your solution (DIY or commercial) can lift vertically? Just to get an idea if I am on the right way.

Rainer

Thu Feb 02, 2017 11:23 am

Post Re: What's the max. weight your slider can lift vertically?
Hey Rainer,
I guess it depends on what type of transport your are using, ie: belt or ball screw or lead screw or just a threaded rod. If its a belt then the motor is working harder and you need some kind of mechanism that will hold the carriage. If its a screw of some type then you don't need a safety mech and just need to worry whether or not the motor has enough power to turn the screw and lift. An alternative is to make a counter balanced system like the Matthews slider or some others out there. If i was going to build another slider I would make it a counter weight type. My two cents.

Cheers,

Fri Feb 03, 2017 12:01 pm

Hi Doug,

thanks for your hints.

Actually I'm using a transport via belt. Since I want to carry it onto mountains, a counter balanced system may be too heavy. Think I have to add some mechanism to secure it and maybe add a stronger stepper or lower gear ratio to have some margin.

Fri Feb 03, 2017 1:17 pm

you can't find a rock on a mountain?

Fri Feb 03, 2017 2:12 pm

ahh, got it. Thought there are some integrated weight. Will think about it for the next version.

Fri Feb 03, 2017 2:23 pm

Hey Rainer,
I went and had a look at your website, nice stuff! As for your rig, looks cool. Can ya take some more shots? I can't make out anything. You might want to re-think the belt and go with some sort of threaded rod or if you have the budget a lead screw. More accurate and no need for any kind of mechanical brake. Chris from Biolapse has built some beautiful rigs using lead screws. Just throwin out my two cents. It wouldn't add that much weight and gives greater accuracy than a belt. Although that is an arguable point.

Cheers.

Fri Feb 03, 2017 2:25 pm

Hi Doug,

some additional images, you may get an better idea. I checked out to solution Chris has realized, beautiful. http://igus.de has all these parts, but I am not sure if this is a solution for me. Accuracy is not very critical for my usage, at least the belt accuracy was sufficient in the past. For better transportability, I also think about a dividable slider. This should be problematic with lead screws.

Fri Feb 03, 2017 3:51 pm

Nice compact system.

Sun Feb 05, 2017 12:19 pm

The Chronos HD rails we used to build were able to lift about 40lbs (about 18kg) vertically by using a lead-screw.

Im not sure how much my main rig Otto can lift. Right now the Z axis assembly it lifts is about 40lbs as well, but i suspect it can list at least double that. Its a beast. :)

Mon Feb 06, 2017 12:00 pm

Thanks for your feedback.

Have checked the Chronos website, very promising. 'Chronos Lite' has roughly same weight as my solution, but more lift capacity (20lbs) and accuracy due to the lead-screw. I have seen, it is possible to separate the Igus rails in two parts and the transition is still smooth, but don't think it is feasible with a lead-screw - maybe I'm wrong. Would love to build a low weight, good lift capacity and separable slider for hiking.

Mon Feb 06, 2017 3:58 pm

My small penny . Belt should be fine its a lot lighter than lead screw . Basically if you go slow more torque in stepper and if its geared down you will have no problems . I notice you are using geared steppers so if you get a high enough gear ratio when the power fails the rig will come to earth at a reasonable speed do to inertia of the gearbox. No brake needed .
I have pasted this many times but this is just a belt and nema 17 stepper geared down :D

D1

Tue Feb 07, 2017 1:16 am