It is currently Sun Jan 19, 2020 4:54 am

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 645 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 17  Next
 Introducing Dynamic Perception Timelapse Dolly Stage Zero 
Post Introducing Dynamic Perception Timelapse Dolly Stage Zero
As promised, here's a detailed look at what most of you know as the prototype v2.2 timelapse dolly we've been hard at work developing. The v2.1 prototype traveled to Iceland with Sean Stiegemeier to capture his now legendary video of the Iceland volcano.

Shutterdrone is putting the finishing touches on the MX2 DollyShield controller. We needed a storefront for this and our other upcoming moco hardware so we started http://www.dynamicperception.com. Rest assured openmoco will continue to be the foundation of all creations to come.

Enjoy and hit us with questions/comments here. Please send us an email to info@dynamicperception.com to be contacted when we are ready for pre-orders!

UPDATE: New website is live and we are now taking Pre-Orders! http://www.dynamicperception.com

Tue May 18, 2010 5:18 am

Post Re: Introducing Dynamic Perception Timelapse Dolly Stage Zero
(!) :o

Congrats Jay. That's really exciting. I saw this video on Youtube this morning and I didn't realize it was you until I recognized your back yard.

No ball bearings. I wouldn't have thought to try that.

Keep us posted. I think I'm still going to build my own rig this summer, but this makes me think.

Cheers,
Kirby

http://www.36viewsofabridge.com
http://www.peristalticmayhem.com

Tue May 18, 2010 5:54 am

Wow!!...you've got all the moves covered! I really hope you guys do well out of this. Seems you and Kestler are pretty much it for the 'budget' non DIYers?

Tue May 18, 2010 6:23 am
colinmlegg wrote:
Wow!!...you've got all the moves covered! I really hope you guys do well out of this. Seems you and Kestler are pretty much it for the 'budget' non DIYers?

Hey thanks Colin! Considering budget: the Kestler $2800 (6' slider, motor, motor bracket and controller) vs our under $1000 (6' slider, motor and controller) + open source expandability... Well, you know what I'm saying. ;)

Tue May 18, 2010 7:26 am

Great! Looking forward to the finished product.

I am currently in the process of building my own power pack with various voltages for my laptop, camera and upcoming moco, so I want to ensure I can plug the dolly into it.
What voltage does it need? I guess 12V and the arduino controller is powered via USB?! What is the power consumption per hour approximatelly?

Best Regards
David

Vimeo <<->> flickr

Tue May 18, 2010 8:09 am

I love the blue anodising on the hardware, it looks very professional.

I'd be interested in knowing if you plan to sell just the motorised head so that the main aluminium extrusion can be purchased locally to avoid the heavy postage costs.

There are a couple of missing "spaces" on the info page which I would correct to maintain the professional approach.

Tue May 18, 2010 8:52 am
Joachim Buambeki wrote:
I guess 12V and the arduino controller is powered via USB?! What is the power consumption per hour approximatelly?

Yes, 12v. The controller will be simple yet expandable (will have communication ports for arduino based engine) based on the insanely awesome Pololu JRK 21v3: http://www.openmoco.org/node/170

It will have an ACCURATE speed dial and direction switch built in. Once we get the openmoco engine up and running this 'motor controller' will interface with it!

The motor only draws 100mA . I'm dumb about power consumption calculations! :oops: Shutterdrone might be able to help you out here! ;)

Tue May 18, 2010 8:56 am
This version won't be using an arduino. The controller will be based on the JRK 21v3, as Jay pointed out - no point in re-inventing the wheel there! We are, however, currently working on making the controller much easier to use, having selectable "knob control" as well as control by computer, PWM (aka radio control ESC controller), and serial control.

The motor controller will also allow you to easily convert the setup to a servo setup, should one desire.

It will integrate "perfectly" into the up-coming Hand-held timelapse engine we're working on -- allowing shoot-move-shoot and continuous motion from the DC motor dolly, camera integration, etc. It will also provide an easy upgrade path to a stepper-based system if one desires.

Joachim, the power consumption will be 1.2 watt-hour at full-load. Should run for the better part of a day on a 6Ah 12V battery.

The controller will let you use motors up to 3Amps, but the motor we'll ship with draws 100mA as Jay pointed out.

The pre-order (when available, 2-3 weeks) will not allow separating parts, but in the future we will offer a wide variety of options for components, kit packaging, or just raw materials for DIYers.

!c

Tue May 18, 2010 10:09 am

shutterdrone wrote:
This version won't be using an arduino. The controller will be based on the JRK 21v3, as Jay pointed out - no point in re-inventing the wheel there! We are, however, currently working on making the controller much easier to use, having selectable "knob control" as well as control by computer, PWM (aka radio control ESC controller), and serial control.

The motor controller will also allow you to easily convert the setup to a servo setup, should one desire.

It will integrate "perfectly" into the up-coming Hand-held timelapse engine we're working on -- allowing shoot-move-shoot and continuous motion from the DC motor dolly, camera integration, etc. It will also provide an easy upgrade path to a stepper-based system if one desires.

Joachim, the power consumption will be 1.2 watt-hour at full-load. Should run for the better part of a day on a 6Ah 12V battery.

The controller will let you use motors up to 3Amps, but the motor we'll ship with draws 100mA as Jay pointed out.

The pre-order (when available, 2-3 weeks) will not allow separating parts, but in the future we will offer a wide variety of options for components, kit packaging, or just raw materials for DIYers.

!c

Thanks for the response !c . As you've said the motor controller can be controlled via Serial, PWM or PC so it would be a simple job to interface it to an arduino if one desired to go that route as the arduino will handle PWM and Serial without any problems ( other than multitasking :) ) .

Tue May 18, 2010 11:19 am

Looks fantastic! Great job!!

db

Tue May 18, 2010 12:02 pm

Really nice and compact. Great Stuff.

Twitter Instagram Google+
Facebook Facebook Movie Page

Tue May 18, 2010 12:24 pm
Antz wrote:
Really nice and compact. Great Stuff.

Thanks Antz! I really wanted to find that balance between size and stability.

Tue May 18, 2010 12:37 pm

Beautiful, looking forwards to seeing it in the flesh.

Tue May 18, 2010 12:45 pm

Great job!
Regarding the marketing of this unit, and with no disrespect to your collaborators, why didn't you build on the existing 'milapse brand' and call it the milapse dolly? :)

Tue May 18, 2010 8:41 pm

I have one question, how did the dolly get shipped to Iceland? It's six feet long, right.

bob@rcfisher.com

Tue May 18, 2010 10:32 pm

Awesome Jay, looks really pro, when are you shipping?

Tue May 18, 2010 11:11 pm
Photosbykev wrote:
Thanks for the response !c . As you've said the motor controller can be controlled via Serial, PWM or PC so it would be a simple job to interface it to an arduino if one desired to go that route as the arduino will handle PWM and Serial without any problems ( other than multitasking :) ) .

It will be no problem running from an arduino - that's one reason why I chose the driver, as it has a lot of flexibility on that front. =)

RCFisher wrote:
I have one question, how did the dolly get shipped to Iceland? It's six feet long, right.

Checked luggage *grin*

!c

Wed May 19, 2010 4:25 am

Any chance that the controller software could be made Mac compatible too?

Wed May 19, 2010 5:47 am
doubledrop wrote:
Any chance that the controller software could be made Mac compatible too?

Controller software? You mean the configuration utility for the Pololu driver? They only support Windows. You don't need that to run the system, however, as the driver will be pre-configured to work as-is. You'd only need the software if you want to re-tune the driver, or change it to operate via serial, add servo feedback, etc.

The OpenMoco software is firmware for an AVR microprocessor, and software exists already that runs on the Mac to talk to it. =)

I know we haven't made this clear yet (I'm still working on the motor driver hardware, and we'll show previews of it late next week), but the dollies we've shown you guys are just being driven by a normal PWM-based DC motor driver. Integration with OpenMoco for normal DC motor usage (OM is designed for steppers) is on-going. This driver would come in an enclosure, with several connectors, and a big knob. You'd use the knob to control the direction and speed of the motor - and simply set the speed you want and walk away. For more complex usage, and future integration with a purpose-built, stand-alone OpenMoco Engine, several ports are provided (TRS and RJ45) for easy connection. The USB port on the driver is for control from a computer, if one wishes.

!c

Wed May 19, 2010 5:56 am
matt b wrote:
Regarding the marketing of this unit, and with no disrespect to your collaborators, why didn't you build on the existing 'milapse brand' and call it the milapse dolly? :)

well... the marketing department (aka me :-) ) has trouble with the fact that the 'milapse head' is not something we actually produce! So what are we going to do as we introduce the Pan|Tilt stage, various motor drivers and controllers? The meade head is sort of stuck 'as is' and weather I like it or not it's become associated with my 'alter ego' :lol:

Wed May 19, 2010 6:11 am

This is genius work guys.

Kessler's looks good too but when you compare prices there's no match at all. Plus the ability to go top/bottom.

One question though about stability.
The dolly seems quite light which is good but will it be usable in strong winds ?

Wed May 19, 2010 7:44 am
Fanto wrote:
The dolly seems quite light which is good but will it be usable in strong winds ?

Oh, it's very stable! The problem will lie more in your tripods/heads used to mount the dolly than the dolly its self. The only way I can get the track to flex is to lay it across two bricks and stand on it (I weigh 140#s). It's actually quite overkill - we're looking to lighten it up in the future. It's actually a little heavier than we like, I haven't put it on the scale, but it's around 10lbs. I'd like to get it closer to 5, while keeping the same performance -- that will come in time =)

The cart its self can be adjusted for "extreme conditions" - there is a minor amount of play in it for normal use, which won't impact a shot - but could cause issues in winds exceeding 20mph. There are actually 10 adjustable points of contact/tension on the cart. One can remove all play, at a cost of reducing the load rating.

On paper, it's rated at 30#s of load. In normal use, I'd keep it under 15#s.

BTW, Kev, you can call me "Church" or "Chris" =)

!c

Wed May 19, 2010 8:24 am

shutterdrone wrote:

!c

I was wondering what the the hell !c was short for and eventually decided it either Chris or Church depending on your state :)

Wed May 19, 2010 9:18 am

shutterdrone wrote:
Fanto wrote:

Oh, it's very stable! The problem will lie more in your tripods/heads used to mount the dolly than the dolly its self. The only way I can get the track to flex is to lay it across two bricks and stand on it (I weigh 140#s). It's actually quite overkill - we're looking to lighten it up in the future. It's actually a little heavier than we like, I haven't put it on the scale, but it's around 10lbs. I'd like to get it closer to 5, while keeping the same performance -- that will come in time =)

The cart its self can be adjusted for "extreme conditions" - there is a minor amount of play in it for normal use, which won't impact a shot - but could cause issues in winds exceeding 20mph. There are actually 10 adjustable points of contact/tension on the cart. One can remove all play, at a cost of reducing the load rating.

On paper, it's rated at 30#s of load. In normal use, I'd keep it under 15#s.

!c

Awesome Chris, thx for the info.

Wed May 19, 2010 9:26 am

Church I was looking at some other options in the extrusion world and 80/20 makes some other extrusions that may work but they are 1.5 sq instead of 1" x 3". 6 ft of the 1515-uls is less than 6 lbs where the 1030 is 8-9 lbs. It could work. I love the 8020 profiles very strong for the weight.

bob@rcfisher.com

Wed May 19, 2010 9:34 am
RCFisher wrote:
Church I was looking at some other options in the extrusion world and 80/20 makes some other extrusions that may work but they are 1.5 sq instead of 1" x 3". 6 ft of the 1515-uls is less than 6 lbs where the 1030 is 8-9 lbs. It could work. I love the 8020 profiles very strong for the weight.

Well the 1030 profile does have one very important thing going for it... every tiny bit you widen the base the more stability and moment resistance your going to get. We're studying two inline 1010 profiles for the 'light track'. Personally I like the overkill and added heft of the 1030 but hey everyone has their priorities!

Wed May 19, 2010 11:14 am

so chris, is this a constant move setup rather than a move-shoot-move? It looks interesting!

thanks,
timt

Wed May 19, 2010 11:19 am

I have been looking at the 1010 profiles as a light weight track as well. I really love the stuff but my issues are with developing a consistent precision method of joining say 6 foot pieces into longer runs, say 18 to 30 ft. Any ladder setup (which is what I am working on currently) has it's limits as far as joining sections for longer runs. Well as I am writing this a couple of ideas come to mind! My other thing is to standardize al the hardware so there's not 10,000 different sized parts to remember!

Well on to some other things for the moment.

bob@rcfisher.com

Wed May 19, 2010 12:11 pm
pixelbot wrote:
so chris, is this a constant move setup rather than a move-shoot-move? It looks interesting!

The first version, if just using what the kit will come with, will be a continuous motion setup. Very shortly, the OpenMoco engine will support DC motors for shoot-move-shoot and continuous, so if one has an arduino laying around, and some basic wiring abilities, it can be both. "Go motion" or "hybrid" motion (i.e. controlled-motion blur, simulating shutter angles, etc.) will follow after.

Note the Pololu driver also has a windows SDK. So, if one has windows programming abilities, it wouldn't be much work to integrate into one's current remote camera software some shoot-move-shoot capabilities =)

!c

Wed May 19, 2010 4:22 pm
Photosbykev wrote:
I was wondering what the the hell !c was short for and eventually decided it either Chris or Church depending on your state :)

Ha, yeah, actually most people in life (including family for some odd reason?) call me Church, as Chris is fairly common (16 out of 80 people I work with are named Chris =)

Edit: gah, I've gotta reply to everyone in one post =) RC: Yes, "attachable" lengths of extrusion has been elusive thus far. In theory, it should be easy, in practice it's not. The cooling phase of the extrusion process is imperfect, and slight variations in thickness are the norm. It can be done with a touch of filing, but it would be different for each and every unit. We wanted to offer an expandable track, but we may settle instead for a simple way of using one long piece of belt for all track lengths instead, and have to just leave it to the user to either modify their track, or offer separate lengths for purchase. (It'll be much cheaper to get the anodized lengths from us than directly, trust me - volume is everything! We're still in tough negotiations on price =)

!c

Wed May 19, 2010 4:34 pm

What are you guys using in the slot profiles to allow the dolly to move ..... small wheels, plastic sliders, ..... :?:

Wed May 19, 2010 5:29 pm

would love to start working on the iphone app for this! let me know if you are interested.

http://www.vimeo.com/​scientifantastic
http://www.500px.com/​scientifantastic

Wed May 19, 2010 6:00 pm
So we are ready to talk about pricing and ballpark shipping date... How do you all feel about $795 and shipping beginning July?? This will get you all the hardware, motor, and a very flexible/accurate speed controller.

matt b wrote:
What are you guys using in the slot profiles to allow the dolly to move ..... small wheels, plastic sliders, ..... :?:

it rides on 7 UHMW-PE slider bearings (slotted pads) that offer high strength/stability and low coefficient of friction!

peppino wrote:
would love to start working on the iphone app for this! let me know if you are interested.

You could get started on an Openmoco iphone app any time you want! Everything including graphic libraries are there to get you started!! :D

Thu May 20, 2010 5:18 am

does the track break down into 2 parts or is it just 1 6' length?

Thu May 20, 2010 7:14 am
peppino wrote:

See my previous post about the difficulty in getting break-down tracks =)

!c

Thu May 20, 2010 7:20 am

milapse wrote:
So we are ready to talk about pricing and ballpark shipping date... How do you all feel about $795 and shipping beginning July?? This will get you all the hardware, motor, and a very flexible/accurate speed controller.

You got a sell right here. Price is crazy considering what your competition sells for. But I won't argue too much with you :)
As for shipping, the sooner the better. If July is the fastest, well, so be it.

I'm thinking shipping cost to Canada will be high cause of the 6' track though...

Thu May 20, 2010 7:34 am

shutterdrone wrote:
peppino wrote:

See my previous post about the difficulty in getting break-down tracks =)

!c

yeah it would probably be best to just let the user deal with it. i was thinking maybe one can just cut the track in half and then figure out an easy way to attach and detach them. maybe a hinge somewhere? Maybe you can play around with some sort of solution like that for the 6' length and offer it a a modification for some extra money for those who dont want to deal with it.

the expandable length, like you mention, seems like much more of a hassle. but you could use the method i mention above with various track lengths and offer multiple expandable packages. for example: you could offer a 3/6/9/12' track combo where you purchase 12' lengths from your supplier, cut them into 3' lengths(so they all match up correctly and eliminates the cooling issue), and include attaching hardware with the kit. this way the user could either use it as a 3' length track, or add another length for a 6', or add a third for a 12' track. the kit would have to be sold with all 3 lengths as they will need to match up correctly. I guess you would have to have 3 different belt lengths as well for this. you could offer the standard 6' standalone kit, a 6' that breaks down to 2 3' tracks, and maybe a 12' that breaks down to 4 3' sections. all of these at different price points obviously.

i would love to see some solution offered like i mention above, i would purchase on asap! not only is the track more portable but many times i wished i had smaller and larger length tracks then my 8', so the solution above would be great.

what do you think?

Thu May 20, 2010 9:01 am
peppino wrote:

yeah it would probably be best to just let the user deal with it. i was thinking maybe one can just cut the track in half and then figure out an easy way to attach and detach them. maybe a hinge somewhere? Maybe you can play around with some sort of solution like that for the 6' length and offer it a a modification for some extra money for those who dont want to deal with it.

the expandable length, like you mention, seems like much more of a hassle. but you could use the method i mention above with various track lengths and offer multiple expandable packages. for example: you could offer a 3/6/9/12' track combo where you purchase 12' lengths from your supplier, cut them into 3' lengths(so they all match up correctly and eliminates the cooling issue), and include attaching hardware with the kit. this way the user could either use it as a 3' length track, or add another length for a 6', or add a third for a 12' track. the kit would have to be sold with all 3 lengths as they will need to match up correctly. I guess you would have to have 3 different belt lengths as well for this. you could offer the standard 6' standalone kit, a 6' that breaks down to 2 3' tracks, and maybe a 12' that breaks down to 4 3' sections. all of these at different price points obviously.

i would love to see some solution offered like i mention above, i would purchase on asap! not only is the track more portable but many times i wished i had smaller and larger length tracks then my 8', so the solution above would be great.

what do you think?

You have interesting ideas, and I want to point out - we are actively working on solving the problem in a cost-effective and product-effective means. This problem will most likely not be solved for the first version shipped, due to the amount of labor and the reflection that will have on the price point. I value the feedback, and we're fully aware of how beneficial an extensible track is, but that's something that will take some time to get to.

!c

Thu May 20, 2010 10:11 am

no rush :-) was just throwing around some ideas.

Thu May 20, 2010 10:16 am

Looks great guys! Let me know when the motor kit, or parts list/tutorial for the motor is available!!

Thu May 20, 2010 12:47 pm
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 645 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 17  Next