It is currently Wed Oct 21, 2020 4:15 pm

Some verification on Stepper Driver please 

Post Some verification on Stepper Driver please
I've acquired a boxful (10) of these nema 23 stepper motors http://uk.rs-online.com/web/search/sear ... &R=0440458 and the same number of 60 and 120 : 1 Ondrive low backlash right angle gearboxes so I'm thinking about having a play with the arduino and some stepper drivers. Is the Easydriver v4 the simple choice to control these steppers for basic move stop move use or should I be buying a more expensive driver with better and more flexible control that I'm unaware of?

The steppers have a dual shaft output so I'm likely to put an encoder on the open end for more precise control or at least confirmation the stepper hasn't missed any steps

regards
Kev

Thu Jun 17, 2010 2:35 pm
Post Re: Some verification on Stepper Driver please
At 600mA, it doesn't specify bi-polar series or parallel - if that's the parallel rating, you should be good. If it's series, you might run into flexibility issues w/ the ED. Parallel wiring requires 2x the current of series (b/c two coils are activated at the same time). Parallel gives better torque at higher speeds, serial vice-versa. (Thus, serial is likely to be a good option =)

Namely, the ED can supply up to 750mA of current.

The ED _should_ work just fine for you needs. If you want to get a little more headroom in current draw, at around the same price range, check out the Pololu A4983, or its bigger brother (only difference is the A4983 doesn't have a voltage regulator, so you have to supply +5V to run the logic on it), which have a 2A/coil rating.

You don't need a big expensive driver for those little motors =) You're neither going to running at massively fast speeds (hopefully!) nor running huge current or very high voltage. Save your money for better drive components!

!c

Thu Jun 17, 2010 4:02 pm

Post Re: Some verification on Stepper Driver please
Thanks for the reply Church, I only want to get the basics sorted out in my head etc before taking a bigger leap lol

Thu Jun 17, 2010 10:57 pm