It is currently Wed Oct 21, 2020 5:18 pm

Donate your Meade/Merlin/Orion/MiLapse Head to "science"? 
Post Donate your Meade/Merlin/Orion/MiLapse Head to "science"?
Anyone have a meade, merlin, orion, milapse, etc. head that they want to donate to, ahem, *cough* science?

I'm looking for victim, erm, rig wherein by to perform a brain transplant.

In return for your rig, you'll get a free OM DollyShield, fully-assembled, and possibly your working rig back, much improved, in return.

I'd like to determine how viable the OMDS and MX2 Engine are for replacing the electronics in these types of heads. I can't promise your rig will survive, but I can promise to send you the parts back*. And, if it does survive, it will have been upgraded to an open-source control system specifically designed for timelapse work. (Not to mention, you'll get shoot-move-shoot capabilities and camera intervalometer built in =)

Either way, working or not, you'll get a free DollyShield (http://openmoco.org/node/212) for your troubles!

If you're interested, please PM me, or respond here. Thanks!

!c

* - I will make every effort to return it to its original condition if transplant failure should occur, but I cannot make any promises, this is new surgical ground and may result in multiple motor failure =)

Thu Jul 29, 2010 6:38 pm

Post Re: Donate your Meade/Merlin/Orion/MiLapse Head to "science"?
Hi Chris. I have a Meade "MiLapse" head you could work on. I'm over in San Antonio and could drive it to Houston if that would help. Let me know. Mike Sims

Fri Jul 30, 2010 3:58 pm
Mike,

Looks like I've already got a Meade and a Merlin on the way, but I'll be happy to help you with upgrade once I've got it all figured out.

Either way, one day we'll have to get together for lunch or a timelapse session, there aren't too many of us on here from Texas. =)

!chris

Sat Jul 31, 2010 6:45 am

Sounds great Chris. We can swap Big Bend stories. You might recognise that my avatar shows the Chisos at sunset from just west of Burro Mesa with the Window on the left. Good-luck!

Sat Jul 31, 2010 10:04 am
Well, the first stage of brain transplant has successfully been done on the Meade DS head. Only have replaced the drivers thus far, will need to create a small circuit for the encoders (get to that later). But, otherwise, the MX2 drives both axes nicely, and I've got a good photo set of the dis-assembly of the head which will help serve as a walk-through on that subject.

I'll get a post up in the next day or so, but so far so good =)

!c

Sat Aug 07, 2010 7:30 pm
This is rediculiously cool.

Sun Aug 08, 2010 5:22 am

I've just checked the parcel tracking on the Merlin, it's across the pond so should be with Chris very soon :)

Sun Aug 08, 2010 7:04 am

shutterdrone wrote:
Well, the first stage of brain transplant has successfully been done on the Meade DS head. Only have replaced the drivers thus far, will need to create a small circuit for the encoders (get to that later). ...

I was wondering if you had a circuit diagram for the encoders, or perhaps a datasheet. Last year I briefly looked at the innards of a DS492(?) motor kit, with the intention of perhaps by-passing/replacing the uC. I seem to remember the encoder being a bit mysterious. It'll be good to have something with feedback.

Fri Aug 13, 2010 12:53 pm
astronomerroyal wrote:
I was wondering if you had a circuit diagram for the encoders, or perhaps a datasheet. Last year I briefly looked at the innards of a DS492(?) motor kit, with the intention of perhaps by-passing/replacing the uC. I seem to remember the encoder being a bit mysterious. It'll be good to have something with feedback.

No circuit diagram, and to get to their parts to get a number, I'd probably destroy them in the process =) Looks like standard pulse encoders on the DS2000. 5 total wires - two for the LED, and 3 for the encoder - being GND, +V, and Pulse. Haven't gotten to that stage yet, well, I did, but I blew up one encoder 'cos it was late at night and I was working too fast. But, I just reversed the wiring by looking at the circuit -- noted which wire was coming off a voltage regulator output, which was a common ground, and that left the other for pulse. There's some distinction between the axes encoder wiring that I don't understand, but it's hard to read their CB in a few instances. As soon as I get the signal up on the scope, then I'll know its good and add a tutorial. (Getting close, should be ready to start posting the one for the DS2k in the 3-4 days.)

@Kev, it arrived the other day, thank you =)

!c

Sun Aug 15, 2010 6:30 am

shutterdrone wrote:
No circuit diagram, and to get to their parts to get a number, I'd probably destroy them in the process =) Looks like standard pulse encoders on the DS2000. 5 total wires - two for the LED, and 3 for the encoder - being GND, +V, and Pulse. Haven't gotten to that stage yet, well, I did, but I blew up one encoder 'cos it was late at night and I was working too fast.

I destroyed my little hand paddle within 24hrs. After that I didn't get any further than turning the motors by hot-wiring the mosfets. The other day I cracked open one of my motor units and immediately remembered that the confusion centered around the array of resistors, that I believe are part of the encoder circuit. Well, I'll report back if I get anything worked out.

Wed Aug 18, 2010 9:59 am
The DS2000 board I have here has 5V coming off a regulator (78L05M) w/ a 510Ohm resistor for power to the IR LED side. Yellow = +V, Blue = GND.

The encoder side seems different, Yellow + Blue go directly to GPIO pins on the pic and are pulled low with 2.9M resistors, and Green seems to run +V. So, looks like I was wrong earlier - appears to be quadrature encoding, unless they're sadistic|masochistic and used GPIO pins as sinks =)

!c

Wed Aug 18, 2010 7:19 pm