It is currently Wed Oct 21, 2020 4:44 pm

Meade4EOS -> Timelapse + Gigapixel Panos + Videostand 

Post Meade4EOS -> Timelapse + Gigapixel Panos + Videostand
Hello folks,

I'm new to this forum! So lemme say hello to everyone and shake hands! However, let me tell you that some time ago I've already passed by this forum and I picked up some really interesting information. With this info I’ve hidden away in my laboratory for a year or so and used to develop a sophisticated control software for the Meade DS2000 telescope mount.

The softwares name: Meade4EOS

1) First I pimped my Meade #479 handcontroller and flashed a hacked firmware to it. After that I got rid of the nasty cables by soldering some Bluetooth transmitter directly to the SMD ICs of its circuits.

2) I developed a very sophisticated new remote control software from scratch.
    This software allows for:

Super smooth video pans & tilts.
      You can pan and tilt the mounted camera with high-grade precision and very smoothly by simply using a joystick. You can furthermore record that motion path and play it forward and backward, pause the motion at any time and redo the same motion over and over again. That is a very powerful feature for serious video work. Of course you can also save the motion path to disk. Have I mentioned you can manually focus your EOS camera (digital follow focus) with a second joystick? YES YOU CAN!

sophisticated Timelapse Projects
      Same feature as with video pans & tilts --but-- you can modify your recorded motion path by applying a slowdown-factor i.e.: You input a complex motion-path with your joystick. Let’s say that takes you 30sec. Now you can apply an arbitrary slowdown-factor of let’s say 1000x... that will yield in a motion that takes exactly 30.000sec. Let's calculate: That is 30.000sec = 500min = 8,33h = 8h:19,8min. Those calculations are sooo nasty... Why not specifying a runtime like 2h 30min 10sec and it will automatically calculate you the corresponding slowdown-factor?
      Well you are free to exactly do that :) -- Of course you can also pause the motion for the time of exposure to avoid blurred pictures on long time exposures.

Autopano / Gigapixel Functionality
      Just specify what kind of camera you use (crop factor), what kind of lens you use (focal length), whether you have mounted you camera horizontally or vertically to the mount and specify the amount of megapixels per image and the overlap needed by your panoramic stitcher software. Now specify the upper left start point and a lower right endpoint of your capture pane by just slewing to those positions and off you go! Meade4EOS will automatically calculate the horizontal, vertical and diagonal field of view and calculate the positions where photos have to be taken. It will autonomously capture all images and trigger your Canon EOS camera. Furthermore it will calculate a very good approximation of the final resolution of the picture taking into account the amount of overlap. It's a matter of pressing the "Execute"-Button and go drink a coffee.

I've included a video of the first test taking a gigapixel image in cologne, Germany.
Lemme tell ya that it worked out flawlessly! :ugeek:

Have fun watching it:

You can see the final result (gigapixel image) here: http://www.photo-worX.de

Further tests on the Videostand and Timelapse Features are to follow...

Anyway...
I plan to make this a commercial product (shareware) and I'd like to know what you guys think of that and if you would buy such a piece of software. Let me again point out that this software offers much more functionality for all of the above mentioned application areas than any other software i know of.

Best regards
Thomas Berndt (aka photo-worX.de)

Wed Aug 11, 2010 10:50 am

Post Re: Meade4EOS -> Timelapse + Gigapixel Panos + Videostand
Seems cool...so the question is how can we do this ourselves???

Wed Aug 11, 2010 4:52 pm
Very impressive!

!c

Wed Aug 11, 2010 5:00 pm
Congrats! Did you use the Timeismotion firmware for this or your own?

I've wondered how long it would be before someone did this. :D

Wed Aug 11, 2010 5:07 pm

@milapse
Thank you very much! I did not use any timeismotion related code. The firmware version i use on my handcontroller is from "Weasner's Meade AutoStar" Webpage and a newer build than on TIM. My application is coded from scratch in Java... meaning it should work on Windows, Linux and Mac

@Folkhero
You can simply do that on your own once I've released the software after some further tests. This bluetooth soldering stuff is just optional. You may use an oldschool serial cable as well :lol:

Wed Aug 11, 2010 9:55 pm

wow this is crazy stuff. the bluetooth is indeed pimp!

i love the time stretch concept, and the automatic pano stitching is just all kinds of impressive... very, very cool.

Fri Aug 13, 2010 5:11 am

Thanks mindrelic,

As of today the AutoPano function has been improved.

New Features are:
- Pause (automatic capture can be stoped if there is movement in the frame - e.g. a car passes by)
- support for Mirror Lock-Up (no more blur on ultra long exposures)
- AEB support for HDR (can be combined with Mirror Lock-Up)
- Selectable capturing sequence: (rows first / collumns first)

As soon as I've some spare time I'll do some more videos for you guys to introduce the other
functions like Timelapse + Videostand features.

However right now I have to work on an assignment to shoot some gigapixel pictures for
presentation at Photokina 2010. So busy like hell....

Fri Aug 13, 2010 5:26 am

I would be very interested to see some time lapse videos made with the Meade and your software. I have been holding off of buying a Meade head as I am not sure how smooth the motion is. I look forwards to seeing the videos when you get some free time.

Fri Aug 13, 2010 7:19 am

Fri Aug 13, 2010 7:39 am

Cool, thanks for the info.
If you need beta testers let me put my name on that list.
Looks good and I can't wait to see some samples posted on here of your work.
Good luck

Fri Aug 13, 2010 9:55 am

Bookmark

http://www.vimeo.com/user1214873/videos
http://www.youtube.com/user/MrReggub

Sun Aug 15, 2010 9:22 am

Sorry guys, no timelapse demo yet...I was just too excited about the gigapixel capabilities of this solution. You are welcome to get some more impressions at my website (sorry no english translation yet - but pictures speak for themself): www.photo-worX.de

Stay tuned...

Mon Aug 16, 2010 4:50 am