It is currently Wed Oct 21, 2020 4:34 pm

Thought I might find some big brains on this forum(encoders) 

Post Thought I might find some big brains on this forum(encoders)
:cry: :cry: Here is what I want to do:

Be able to plot two points on my slider, then enter a time value for the motors to transport carriage from point A to point B. Would a programmable controller with encoder feedback be capable of doing this?????
I want to use 12V DC geared motors to do this, same type as Pololu (http://www.pololu.com/catalog/product/1447).

I have done a real decent job of building my own custom rail slider system, looked at many commercial designs and took elements from each one then added a few of my own unique ideas and made something new.
I will post some images soon, unit 90% complete. Every component is custom made right down to timming gears. Only pieces not made from 6061T6 aluminum billet is the Stainless steel screws and the XL size rubber belting.

Will photograph the unit before it goes of for the finishing touch (black anodize).

Really hoping there is someone that can give me solid information on what controller and interface I need to buy, I am good with the design and mechanics side of the project, but lack any electronic engineering skills. The idea of using DC motors with encoders is what I am hoping for, a system that is able to calculate it's position over time and adjust motor power and speed to transport carriage from point A to B regardless of camera weight and slider angle.

Any advise would be greatly appreciated, I am located in South Africa and there is very little local knowledge available. Most components would need to be imported as none of the controllers are available locally.

Regards :?: :?

Mon Aug 23, 2010 1:27 pm
Post Re: Thought I might find some big brains on this forum(encoders)
Check out the JRK 21v3 from Pololu: http://www.pololu.com/catalog/product/1392

Can be run by a computer, takes feedback (encoder) input, and has a nice calibration software for the PC.

For easy use in the field, you can just use a potentiometer to control speed and direction.

You would need something to "talk to it", to map out points and tell it to go there, you can either control it with a PC/netbook/mac/whatever, or use a microcontroller to talk serial to it.

!c

Sun Aug 29, 2010 6:28 am