It is currently Wed Oct 21, 2020 5:00 pm

Should I Buy or Should I Wait? 

Post Should I Buy or Should I Wait?
Hi everyone - looking for advice that I am sure is not easy to give out, but perspective appreciated nonetheless. I am very interested in purchasing a motion control system for timelapse, with pan/tilt as well as motion-control dolly movement. The camblock system looks very interesting, but honestly I would end up shelling out 15-16K USD for what may turn out to be a hobby. I am also reading on this forum of a number of startups, many based on open moco, that are at various stages of prototyping or gearing up for potential commercialization. I am not an engineer or a programmer, so many of the grounds-up projects would be beyond me unless I could convince someone to recreate a system for purchase. I can follow instructions, but just don't have the time to design and code a system from scratch.

So - should I shell out for camblock, wait for the backyard entrepeneurs to commercialize, or is there an alternate product for motion-control timelapse to consider (X-Y-Z movements)?

Thanks for your patience and perspective
Kailas

Thu Aug 26, 2010 5:47 pm

Post Re: Should I Buy or Should I Wait?
I guess it all comes down to what you want to be able to achieve, and what your budget is.
If you are thinking it may only end up being a hobby, perhaps start small with a pan / tilt head and a basic dolly you could mount it on.
You can start out with the basics pretty cheap. Both could be done for under $500 if you want to build it yourself.

If you want programmable moves etc and professionally manufactured parts, the price at present would start about $6k or more with the sky the limit.
The open moco stuff in the works will certainly bring the price down to be within reach to the masses if you can wait.

Twitter Instagram Google+
Facebook Facebook Movie Page

Thu Aug 26, 2010 10:06 pm
Site Admin

I think people should always start with the basics. Learn how to make static shots interesting. Learn the basics of exposure, power, post production. Then get a motion axis... maybe pan, maybe tilt, maybe dolly. Then get another axis and learn how to use that. And so on. There is no rush. There are plenty of multi-axis rigs coming out soon enough.

And like Antz said, you won't really know how much performance you need until you start getting serious about it.

Thu Aug 26, 2010 10:41 pm

Excellent advice Tom. That should be enshrined and mounted somewhere.

Thu Aug 26, 2010 11:28 pm