It is currently Mon Sep 21, 2020 10:45 pm

Source for plastic gears... Score! 

Post Source for plastic gears... Score!
So I had one of those Homedics massage chairs, you know the kind that everyone gets for christmas and nobody wants? I was going to take it to goodwill, then I decided to tear it apart and see what was inside:

A big pile of plastic gears! The rack is 15" long, and the two large ones are worm gears that are over 4" across! I checked craigslist in my area, and sure enough there are about a dozen of these, many selling for only $10!

Thu Sep 30, 2010 10:20 am

Post Re: Source for plastic gears... Score!
Thanks Andrew, the story about where those gears came from is really funny. I'm going to start tearing my trash apart before dragging it to the curb. Congrats on a really beautiful build and some stunning video. I think you are the first to do that move in timelapse. It really gets people glued to the screen.

Mon May 09, 2011 6:57 am

Is this the kind of chair you took apart?

Attachments:
163041218_full.jpg
163041218_full.jpg [ 22.85 KiB | Viewed 3097 times ]

Mon May 09, 2011 12:50 pm

Andrew Curtis wrote:
So I had one of those Homedics massage chairs, you know the kind that everyone gets for christmas and nobody wants? I was going to take it to goodwill, then I decided to tear it apart and see what was inside:

A big pile of plastic gears! The rack is 15" long, and the two large ones are worm gears that are over 4" across! I checked craigslist in my area, and sure enough there are about a dozen of these, many selling for only $10!

Nice. Another good source for gears is old printers. I recently harvested some gears from an old HP designjet printer. It was packed with gears and small DC motors.

Thu May 12, 2011 7:14 am

HionHiFi wrote:
Nice. Another good source for gears is old printers. I recently harvested some gears from an old HP designjet printer. It was packed with gears and small DC motors.

I was very disappointed after wrecking a HP Injet ( didnt have a "star" shaped screw driver head ) to find only half a dozen gears no bigger than a dime and a couple of 24v 0.1A DC motors :-(

The Brother Laser Printer was a walk in the park thanks to "Phillips" screws and yielding nearly 2 dozen gears up to 2" diameter :-)

Thu May 19, 2011 1:53 pm