It is currently Tue Sep 22, 2020 4:22 pm

Brand new Milapse rig wont power up. 

Post Brand new Milapse rig wont power up.
Hi everyone,

This is my first post and already i've got a problem :cry:

Just got my Meade head, tripod and 497 controller delivered today (all the way to Australia) from Bill at Telescope Warehouse and I can't seem to get the thing to power up.

I've used two different sets of fresh AA batteries but I get no red light when I flick the power button.

I've read through the instructions that came with the rig and I'm following it to the letter.

Has anyone come across this before or are there any tricks that might help me out?

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Tue Dec 07, 2010 1:08 am

Post Re: Brand new Milapse rig wont power up.
Ok this might seem crazy, but could it have anything to do with the brand of batteries being used?

I've been trying Energizer MAX batteries but I just noticed that in the video on Youtube Jay is using Duracell.

I'm clutching at straws here :?

Tue Dec 07, 2010 1:12 am

It should work fine with pretty much any rechargeable battery. I've used all sorts.
Next step would be to get out a multi-meter to check voltage is getting to the connector OK.

Or for a quick test (I will do this myself on occasion), stick your tongue on the battery pack terminals to see how much it hurts, if it is close to 12v it should pretty much leave the tip of your tongue numb :twisted:

Twitter Instagram Google+
Facebook Facebook Movie Page

Tue Dec 07, 2010 7:04 am

I have had same problem with no power out of the box as has a friend of mine. We both traced the problem to the battery holder, there was a little too much plastic around one of the terminals causing an open circuit, it was not obvious and only found by tracing with a multimeter or the tongue test as above ;)
My second set of batteries even after correction (trimming plastic with a sharp knife) was still causing a problem.

Hopefully this all that is wrong with yours and fairly easily corrected. Both units were purchase in the UK.

http://www.vimeo.com/user1214873/videos
http://www.youtube.com/user/MrReggub

Tue Dec 07, 2010 7:59 am
Sounds like power transmission issue. Could also be at the wires leading to the head as well.

My suggestion would be to ditch the battery tray and connect a small rechargeable 12v. I always forget what the polarity is but you can do a search. I'm sure I've posted it a couple of times around here. :lol:

Tue Dec 07, 2010 10:02 am