It is currently Tue Sep 22, 2020 3:22 pm

Drive system for larger dolly 

Post Drive system for larger dolly
Hi my first post, great site.

I am looking for a drive system to move my Dana Dolly with my F800 on a 100mm Vinten head. Speed would be slow for time lapse only. All real time movements are by hand.

Look forward to some leads.

Thu Apr 01, 2010 5:38 am
Post Re: Drive system for larger dolly
These sorts posts confuse me :| Want to help but I just don't know where to start... :lol:

Maybe you can just bolt a motor on the cart and loop a cable attached at both ends of the track?? So hard to determine.

Thu Apr 01, 2010 6:34 am

Sorry I thought I would receive a knowledgeable positive response, my mistake. But no worry I found a list of companies who make the product on a different forum.

Thu Apr 01, 2010 11:00 am
Sorry. Honestly I want to help but it's tough when you have a retrofit situation and very broad design parameters. Like I was alluding to, you can take something like the servo city servo gearmotor/controller and bolt it onto the cart and loop a cable around a pulley and to the ends of the track, you could also retrofit some meade telescope motors in a similar way. You can get a good strong stepper and use the openmoco system to control the motor and the camera. You can try a belt system with the 'omega' pulley drive concept. You could do a closed loop with a drive pulley at ends of your track. The dayton 2L003 is mighty powerful and has worked great for me. Steppers are amazing using openmoco. etc.

Understand, I'm just not sure what your looking for... I'm not trying to put you down, I'm just confused how to start/approach/answer. ;)

Thu Apr 01, 2010 12:12 pm

rut ro, I think Milapse was suggesting that you just need to elaborate a little more. No need to take offense. Slow is a very relative term when your talking about time-lapse moves, weather that means the speed of a rotisserie chicken or .004 rpms. Also, are you looking for a servo setup for constant speed, or stepper for stop shoot move? I'm unaware of a stepper solution that can tie into the F800's intervalometer though (assuming it's built in to the firmware). I've never dealt with moving a camera that heavy before as I think most of this site is dealing with the weight of DSLR's. A beefy servo with a speed controller should work for your setup judging by your question. If your dolly is always going to be perfectly level even a low torque motor can work. I move about a 7 pound payload with mine using a clock motor. I would suggest making your drive system something you can engage/disengage quite easily to reduce setup time between time-lapse or real time moves. This will also make doing a real time preview of the move a lot easier before committing to a TL shot. I would like to see the solution you come up with though.

Thu Apr 01, 2010 12:23 pm
Sputnik wrote:
tie into the F800's intervalometer

ah yah... can the cam be triggered?

Thu Apr 01, 2010 12:40 pm

Not gone just on the road in a studio shooting. And no worry on the post Milapse I could have posted more detail. Really just looking for a good motor with wheel.

Dustin thanks for the email. I will check out your suggestions. My plan with different speeds is to use a line purchase. I am from the marine industry so we have a shop full of blocks and small 1/16" line that can hold 800 lbs so perfect at 2:1, 4:1, 8:1 and so on. That way I can use one speed motor and reduce its load and speed as needed. With this system I can remove the purchase from the cart and do my hand moves then hook up the purchase with one snap hook.

Tell your friend Mike Hall I think he did a great job on the Dana Dolly. Perfect for my EX1 and F800. Easy to set up and very smooth. Do you know if they have tried ferrels to connect longer tube? I have 8' and 4' and would like to connect at times.

Tue Apr 06, 2010 1:57 pm

Servo City is a great place for me to start. Now to pick out the system and give it a go.. I will be happy to post my results thanks.

Tue Apr 06, 2010 2:16 pm

Agree the servo motors and gears looks nice and compared to most of my gear seem like a great value. I will give Servo City a call tomorrow and place an order after talking to them first.

I told Abel Cine Tech about the Dana Dolly and told them to check it out at NAB.

Tue Apr 06, 2010 2:49 pm

Servo City were great to deal with on the phone and through the site.
Placed an order for the following:

(GPG845-BM) Gearmotor Gearbox (Full
Metal Gears)
(SG806A) 6" Gearbox Arm (Round)
(902MSD) Dual Manual Servo Driver
(ESC-7.2-24) 7.2-24V Precision Digital
Speed Control
(RZ12-900-4RPM) 4 RPM Gearmotor
(3-12VDC)
(275-709) DPDT 20-Amp Momentary Flip

This with a small 12V battery, some line, and a clear cover will get me started moving with lots of options on speed. The 6" round plate will have different spools I will connect on top to adjust speed and the speed control will let me vari while I am running. I think a good starter kit.

If you see a gross mistake let me know?

Wed Apr 07, 2010 8:30 am
I'm going to repeat again, before you spend $150 to get what is just a simple PWM motor speed controller. What about having those two devices from servocity make them worth $150, vs. the one that can be had from virtualvillage for $17, or the plethora that can be had from eBay for less than $50?

I like servocity a lot, but y'all keep telling people to spend $150 for a simple DC speed controller, when that's several times the going price. For $150, one can get an industrial MSC.

Here are some options that should serve the same purpose, for a lot less:

$17 60W reversable speed controller, ready to run: http://www.virtualvillage.com/reversibl ... 1-063.html

These guys sell speed controller capable of doing custom speed ramping, directional control, etc. for up to 1kW motors for only $70: http://www.devicecraft.com/

Don't get me wrong, I love servocity for motors and small parts, but I think you guys are not getting your money's worth spending $150, and having to have two devices to do something as simple as DC speed control.

!c

Wed Apr 07, 2010 9:55 am

I will look into both your suggestions for future controllers and motors. I like the idea of the custom speed ramping.

Wed Apr 07, 2010 10:52 am

Paul, The Chuck Model Mover, from mrmoco.com

but it ain't cheep.....

Wed Apr 07, 2010 9:11 pm

Thanks for the link they have some fantastic gear.

Thu Apr 08, 2010 5:31 am

Well I built my system weeks ago and am finally getting to the point where I have some time to post. Next I will link to some motion time lapse and post a few pictures.

I have set up a line purchase system that lets me change the speed. 1:1, 2:1, 4:1, all the way to 10:1 so far. It works perfectly. The F800 fits nice and the weight is not a problem at all. Next mod is to increase the length from the current 8' and add 4' up to multi 8' sections that all fit in the van.

Thanks to everyone for the links and making this very easy to build.

More soon.

Wed Jun 09, 2010 12:35 pm

Hi Guys,

My name is Pete from Virtual Village, shutterdrone mentioned us in a previous post.

I would just like to let you know that we have a range of speed controllers with more on the way

check the link below:

http://www.virtualvillage.com/radio-control-motors

I would also like to offer you guys a 20% product discount of any product on our website, simple enter the following code in to our checkout whilst checking out:

VVN392R

Cheers

Pete

Wed Aug 04, 2010 8:14 pm

Here is a link to my blog where I have posted what I put together. Need more time to refine, but still too busy shooting for now.
http://www.whitecapvideo.com/wordpress/

Appreciate all the help from Timescapes.org forum, you guys are great.

Also looking to build a smaller version for my Canon 5D MKII purchase. Wow what a great camera with the new 16-35 version II lens.

Sat Nov 27, 2010 7:36 am

@pirateofjamestown, thanks for the link to the timelapse version of the Danadolly (if it hasn't been noted before??)

http://www.danadolly.com/Timelapse.html

Sat Nov 27, 2010 9:21 pm