It is currently Mon Sep 21, 2020 11:35 pm

DIYslide - Motion Control Rig with Custom Electronics 

Post DIYslide - Motion Control Rig with Custom Electronics
So I've become very interested in timelapse, and more importantly, motion timelapse. I've taken on the challenge of building my own custom rig to handle this task.

Features:
  • lightweight
  • low cost
  • 1 meter stroke
  • Battery operated
  • Remote trigger for Canon 7D
  • Custom Electronics
  • Simple interface to adjust:
  • -Interval Time
  • -Increment distance

In the end, if there's interest, I would offer this design as a kit for those who'd like to get similar results.

I've received my igus slider already and did a manual movement test with my new car to test out the smooth surface.

I figured people would be interested in my work log for this project, so i'll post my progress here and take any comments as I go.

-shred444

Sun Feb 27, 2011 4:58 pm

Post Re: DIYslide - Motion Control Rig with Custom Electronics
Nice Volvo. Have you heard about the dynamic perception dolly? I think they stole your idea a couple of years ago. They already sold a few hundred dollies to people on timescapes. I would be very interested in learning more about how your system differs from theirs and any advantages yours has over theirs.

Mon Feb 28, 2011 8:51 am

Hey Sciencelookers, yes i've seen the dynamic perception dolly. Although i like the simplicity of their design, I have two reasons why i personally wouldn't use their system:

1) A 6ft 8020 extruded aluminum rail isnt very portable. I'm looking to develop a 3 foot section, that can be carried while hiking or biking.
2) The dynamic perception dolly is a complete package. I'm looking to build an upgrade kit for my existing Igus rail to automate my setup.

Mon Feb 28, 2011 11:07 am

Here's a new video of my servo mounting system and belt system. This was controlled with a servo controller, so I can only set the speed of the servo, not intervals

Thu Mar 10, 2011 5:35 am

That is very smooth, especially at fast speeds for using it with regular full speed video. I liked the golden frog too. It looks like the black square things at each end of the track are for bearings. Do those use roller blade bearings or some other kind? Did you fab those yourself or get them off shelf somewhere? Where can I get bearing blocks like that?

Thu Mar 17, 2011 6:39 am

I got those bearing blocks from robotshop.com. I don't have the part number off hand, but searching in the mechanical section should help you out.

here's my latest timelapse test using an ARM processor to handle the PWM for the linear motion

Thu Mar 17, 2011 6:46 am