It is currently Fri Sep 18, 2020 3:42 pm

Where to start 

Post Where to start
Hi, just bought an Arduino (Mega) board for tinkering around, first I will create an intervalometer. Should be easy. Ultimate goal is some motion control system. The problem is "where to start". Yes, I have read MANY post/topics here, YES I have browsed through the openmoco pages (impossible to navigate in an orderly way) etc.

It's difficult to find your way through an unbelievable maze of a) mechanics, b) motors, c) gears, d) drivers, e) software.

For a start I would already be happy with something small and neat for pan and tilt, something like this (image below). A simple pan and tilt motorised head that I can mount on a tripod and put the cam on it. A speed of say max 0.2deg/s and min 0.02deg/s. I guess this is a typical TL speed for anything that doesn't move extremely slow. A speedrange of 1-10 should be possible with PWM I guess, otherwise we can narrow down.

I have seen pics of other VERY fancy motorised pan and tilt heads, but at massive prices. All very nice and well, but I am on a bit of budget too (I know some motors cost a fortune, here I have just to find a balance)

I am probably not the only one who is daunted by the obscure myriad of components needed to make something simple as a motorised pan and tilt for TL let alone more even if in reality it should be simple and straightforward barring the more extreme uses like very heavy cameras and/or extremely low speeds.

Any suggestions on where to start?

**** edited Apr 7 *** see post below ***

Attachments:
File comment: Example of (wireless) pan and til motorised head for videocam
pt.jpg
pt.jpg [ 37.04 KiB | Viewed 1998 times ]
Mon Apr 04, 2011 3:57 pm

Post Re: Where to start
I edited the post above and this one since I read a lot more about the subject in the last days which made some questions redundant.

First, I found this good thread: viewtopic.php?f=24&t=294&p=1793&hilit=microstepper#p1793

(2nd post by shutterdrone) If I had found that post earlier it could have saved me some time. I was in contact with Servocity to find out the servo accuracy and they told me something similar, like 0.3-0.5deg. Which is at least an order of magnitude to large for normal TL.

So out are the servomotors! (open-loop DC motors were already out anyway).

That really leaves steppermotors. More later.

~Lenny4d.

Thu Apr 07, 2011 2:06 am