It is currently Mon Sep 21, 2020 11:58 pm

LADDER DOLLIE WITH PAN TILT HEAD 

Post LADDER DOLLIE WITH PAN TILT HEAD
More testing ladder Dollie this time feedback appreciated. Cheap ladders seem good way of doing long tracks especially when using wide lenses a lot more forgiving than telephotos or macros. Test was two and a half meters if you were to use something like igus rail it would cost considerably more and the benefits would not be appreciated( igus great for macro stuff might treat myself!)

Did the move six times and quick comp in AE just to test backlash etc didn't seem to be any. Going to order more belt and give a five meter track a go ( other half of ladder) Prob do that one right why up rather than under slung my shed not big enough will post test

Also cleaned up last multipass test a bit

Sun May 01, 2011 2:27 pm

Post Re: LADDER DOLLIE WITH PAN TILT HEAD
Looks pretty good. Can't beat the price.

Twitter Instagram Google+
Facebook Facebook Movie Page

Sun May 01, 2011 4:32 pm

your rig looks awesome! first time I've come across it...

do you have any more info or pics posted anywhere? i'm looking to build something very similar and would love to see what you've done....

Mon May 02, 2011 3:17 pm

Hello yes theirs a few more pics on one of my first posts ( new rig tests) also shows a bit more of its fine moves and pull focus . On with a new version now hope to be able to do real time moves at some point if i can get software sorted not my strong point . Ps will be willing to make the odd one or two if anybody wants one ( Uk only )
Cheers

Mon May 02, 2011 11:38 pm

is everything all custom designed by yourself? it looks so professionally done, great work...

what are you using for motors and motor control? what about programming, is this arduino based or something else?

Tue May 03, 2011 8:26 am

Hello yes built a few over the years i try and keep them light (explains all the holes) and small so i can get them in a ruck sack i like to go walking round Scotland a lot see old film.

Started using stepper motors and easy drivers on the last one good for position control but a bit heavy on juice. So your post on the sparkfun quad driver not used it sounds good but i have found the low ampage steppers have a enough torque for most timelapase applications and the easydrivers are cheep if you mess up its not the end off the world to pop a new one in. Using a parallax basic stamp to control at mo because i can just about program it (not my strong point) Had a look at the arduino and open moco stuff their doesn't seem to be much activity their at the mo and i just cant get my head round the arduion its cheap though. Speaking of which have a look at the Merlin Sky Watcher a friend just bought one making a slider for her will post results, you cant make a pan and tilt head your self this good this cheap. Think the MX2 can control it to.

Hope been some help and good look with your rig but have a look at the Merlin if you want to make films me i just like making rigs :D

Tue May 03, 2011 10:44 am

sounds great, thanks for the info! would still be interested in seeing even more photos of your rig if they exist anywhere....

Sat May 07, 2011 9:46 am

Hello is it the ladder dollie you are intrested in or the head? Ps I like your cablecam ( had a look at your vimeo site, like to know who am talking to very nice stuff me got a old nikon D200 so still stuck in the world of stop frame no lovely HD video :( )

Sat May 07, 2011 10:41 am

i am interested in all of it, haha.... I would just love to see both the trolley/wheel design as well as the head you seem to have built...

yeah, the cablecam is sweet, been using it a lot since my last postings... gonna update videos soon....

Sat May 07, 2011 12:34 pm

Hello again was hoping video would do quite a few stills at end if you pause it covers most angles . Lets face it some people use in line skate wheels found these to be to less than perfect irregular moulding etc best just using bearings i use skateboard bearings get them any ware and cheap. The rest is stepper motors and timing belts the problem i have is software was hoping the open moco stuff would move on but seems to have reached a end no fault of originators just seems to run out of steam . Any chance of pics of your cable cam set up don't now if theirs a time lapse cross over their?

Sat May 07, 2011 3:28 pm

Quote:
Going to order more belt and give a five meter track a go

Does your design need belt which covers the whole length of the track?

Couldn't you just use a short belt to drive a spool which takes up a cable to pull the dolly?

Or wouldn't that give you enough control?

You mentioned that you would consider making one or two of your systems. What sort of length can you make and how much would you expect to charge?

Thanks,
Antony

Sun May 29, 2011 12:53 pm

Yes you need a belt that runs the length of track that's the way it works see link http://www.motionco.co.uk/timing-belts- ... 38_49.html

This particular design uses a ladder i got mine from B&Q so what ever ladder you get that's the length you have.

Would consider making the odd one or two depends on how you want to drive it etc and also if ya in my area would be good (Manchester England)

If you want a pan tilt head i would just buy somthing like the Merlin you cant make your own this cheap

Cheers for interest

Mon May 30, 2011 2:58 am