It is currently Fri Sep 18, 2020 3:14 pm

Slider For Merlin Head 

Post Slider For Merlin Head
Its raining and its a bank holiday so another post!

A friend bought a Merlin recently so made a slider for her it uses a dc motor so should be compatible with the MX2 prob going to make one for myself this will be a stepper version .See what you think soz no pictures with the Merlin yet will try and get some of her

Cheers

Mon May 30, 2011 6:14 am

Post Re: Slider For Merlin Head
Clean design. Is that a belt running down the middle of the track? I want one.

Tue May 31, 2011 5:31 am

Hello

Yes managed to get the belt down the slot two reasons for this one it keeps things tidy no chance of twigs or wires getting caught in their. Two because the belt is in the exact centre of the slider theirs no chance of drawer effect so you have a smooth slide. Had to use a slightly bigger section than say the dynamics slider to achieve this which i don't mind its a very sturdy rig not the lightest though (but not the heavy est )

As for making more it depends ware you are this is just a hobby for me so don't want it getting to complicated . I also get the impression theirs a rumour that dynamic perceptions might be bringing out a stepper controller Yeah! So you might want to wait and see what happens i always think steppers are better they don't even need a encoder as long as you don't exceed the motors specs .

Any way cheers for your comments hope i been of some help

Thu Jun 02, 2011 11:51 am

After taking a closer look I see the belt now. What guides are you using? Part Number? The reason I'm asking is that Ive built my own and after going through the catalog I didn't see a guide that would allow upside down movement without wrapping around the side of the beam.

I do like how tidy the setup is. For my needs I could not have the motor on the carriage, and I had to go a slightly different direction.

Thu Jun 02, 2011 12:05 pm

Hello think all slidders will hang in their they all seem to be of a T shape design.

Yes seen slidders with motors at the end of the track. No good for me this doubles the length of belt more chance of it stretching i like doing my multi pass stuff

Good luck with your rig

Thu Jun 02, 2011 12:38 pm

I agree. I went with a 3/8 threaded stainless steal rod and coupled it to the motor. Depending on the motor I can get ultra slow moves but my top speed is somewhat limited.

Thu Jun 02, 2011 1:10 pm

do you mind sharing the parts list that you used to built this track? seems simple and rugged.

Thu Jun 02, 2011 2:14 pm

Hello again Brian

A lot of the stuff is just standard Rexroth sections and connectors but theirs also quite a few machined bits ( i have a baby mill) but i am sure you could find a way round this .

So you put more cable cam stuff up really like the look you get with it any chance of a pic of your rig? Just got my 6 meter ladder Dollie working going to do a quick test see if a can get similar result to the cable cam shorter run of course and will be stop frame

Cheers

Sat Jun 04, 2011 4:15 am