It is currently Mon Sep 21, 2020 11:43 pm

Glidetrack: a good slider? 

Post Glidetrack: a good slider?
Hey everyone, first post, seems like a great forum, hopefully I can learn a lot!

So I've done several timelapse movies now with my Canon T3i (and relatively lightweight lenses). I'm looking to take things up a notch and considering getting a slider. I also shoot a fair amount of video, so the Glidetrack shooter SD model really appeals to me, since it doubles as a shoulder mount. Does anyone have any thoughts on the Glidetrack line? Or better yet, has anyone tried using those shooter models? I've read some reviews and they're very mixed. Some people seem to think it's just a stellar product, and then on the other end of the spectrum some guy actually said that "this thing works about as good for a shoulder mount as a spoon does for cutting a steak." Hah!

I know the glidetrack models are non-motorized, which is probably no good for doing timelapse work, but I did see a few blogs where people had added motors to non-motorized sliders. That's my intention, as I'm pretty handy with electronics.

Last question: 0.75 meters or 1 meter?

Thoughts?

Fri Oct 21, 2011 12:04 pm

Post Re: Glidetrack: a good slider?
I bought a Glidetrack HD and it is a fine slider, but i think it is overpriced.. its basically just a Igus track with a glidetrack logo, the only thing they have made them self is the legs. So why not just buy it directly from Igus: http://www.igus.com/wpck/default.aspx?p ... &C=US&L=en
I just ordered a meter long rail with slide wagon and it was a fraction of the price for the GT.
Regarding the SD model, i can´t imagine that its comfortable to have a metal pole on the sholders, my rig is padded and still i can be a bit numb in my shoulder after a long operation.

My GT is a bit noisy but then again, most of them make that hissing sound when sliding.

I checked my invoices and my original GT cost 412 Euro and the Igus rail cost 112 Euro so I guess I paid 300 Euro for some plastic legs :shock:

Fri Oct 21, 2011 12:27 pm

A better link to Igus´s camera sliders: http://www.igus.com/wpck/default.aspx?p ... technology

Fri Oct 21, 2011 1:52 pm

photopop wrote:
A better link to Igus´s camera sliders: http://www.igus.com/wpck/default.aspx?p ... technology

Ah, very interesting. Good looking out! I might just go this route.

I guess I had not done my reading as carefully as I should have--I thought the Glidetrack was a roller bearing slider. Guess not! Are roller bearing sliders superior to the friction types? I know Konova makes one for relatively cheap. Would I be better off going that route???

Mon Oct 24, 2011 9:57 am