It is currently Mon Sep 21, 2020 11:43 pm

Dragon frame motion control anybody used it? 

Post Dragon frame motion control anybody used it?
Well this seems good was wondering if anybody as any experience with it . I was doing a quick search for stop frame animation software and came across this didn’t realise it had motion control capabilities to .

http://www.dragonframe.com/features.php

Nice graphic interface which is what I like and it hooks up to a arduino so you can build drivers to what spec you like. Could be as simple as a four easy drivers .

Only down side you have to lug a lap top with you and a lot of people will have no use for the stop motion software . Great for me though :D

Sun Oct 23, 2011 4:36 am

Post Re: Dragon frame motion control anybody used it?
I havn't used the software but have a friend that uses it. I think its a very reputable company in the stopmotion industry. I would have to track down the thread, but I think I read here that someone got it working with the stage zero dolly. Will post back if I find it.

Sun Oct 23, 2011 9:54 am

Thanks for that link.

Listed in ' IOTA 3D slider' at the bottom of their home page is this piece of gear that may be of use to people who use non-digital lenses on Canon EOS bodies ..... I certainly do.

Attachments:
Dragonframe EOS correction cap.png [333.53 KiB]
Downloaded 593 times
Sun Oct 23, 2011 4:03 pm

Hi cheers for the feedback you guys

Had a quick look through the user manual seems pretty comprehensive even offers camera control ( you have to pay extra for Nikon camera control £150! ) Wish I had gone the Canon route didn’t realise their was a problem with non digital lenses though . Glad to help you out their Matt if unintentionally .

So think this bit of software is turning into a no brainer for me. Was hoping the open moco stuff would be moving on but I realise these things take time .

So will dust of my old arduino ,never had much look with , and download the trial version of the software and see if I can get it all working.

Would still appreciate any feed back on this software. Think the motion control facility is a fairly recent addition so prob not many users yet but if there is get in touch .

Cheers :D

Mon Oct 24, 2011 9:38 am

Just a quick up date on the Dragon Frame software It works! and it works very well!

Down loaded the software which includes a sketch for the arduino ( why don’t they call it a program?)
Wired in the arduino to my rig and drivers and calibrated everything . I dial gauge is very handy for this .

Strong points of the software are the easy to use interface . Its really like after effects with real lights cameras instead of virtual ones.

Another strong point is the camera control. Unfortunately I have a indestructible Nikon d200. It must have taken Millions of frames and its still going strong. But it hasn’t got live view and i cant justify buying a new camera until this one dies. (die dam you) If I had live view I would be able to take advantage of all the programs facilities. As it is now I have to take a preview frame to get a camera feed . You can have a separate Video feed the program deals with both at the same time .

With camera control you can set different exposure and a frame will be taken for each setting , great for HDR work . You don’t have to rely on the bracketing of the camera. Prod lots of other clever things you can do to, early days yet

Will do a bit more playing but its really nice to control everything from one interface, jog controls are sweet . The motors wind up to full speed at a nice pace and slows down again. You even get a dedicated key pad .

Cheers
PS I Have no connections with Dragon Frame :D

Thu Oct 27, 2011 12:31 pm