It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2019 9:23 am

$95.00 wireless pan/tilt? (update $65.00 on Amazon ;-) 

Post $95.00 wireless pan/tilt? (update $65.00 on Amazon ;-)
Just came across this for $95.00 (see ebay link in article):

(update: just found the same one on Amazon for $65.00 ;-)

http://cheesycam.com/polaroid-wireless- ... t-for-slr/

my 1st thought was wondering how long it would take someone here to hack it so it could be controlled by the MX2 and then I realized being wireless that probably wasn't going to happen...

anyways...looks like an interesting upgrade to the Bescors...

...Ric

Adobe Certified Instructor | Apple Certified Trainer

Member: APA (National VP) | NANPA | NPPA | PLUS

Mon Nov 28, 2011 10:44 pm

Post Re: $95.00 wireless pan/tilt? (update $65.00 on Amazon ;-)
ricphoto wrote:
Just came across this for $95.00 (see ebay link in article):

(update: just found the same one on Amazon for $65.00 ;-)

http://cheesycam.com/polaroid-wireless- ... t-for-slr/

my 1st thought was wondering how long it would take someone here to hack it so it could be controlled by the MX2 and then I realized being wireless that probably wasn't going to happen...

anyways...looks like an interesting upgrade to the Bescors...

...Ric

I'm sure it can be hacked to work with anything. You just gotta gut it and get to the motors. I bought and gutted a Bescor, they use a 2500 :1 gear ratio on 2 DC motors. I just have not had time to try to control it, gotta keep the voltage down to 1.5 volts maximum or you will blow the motors. I bet this Polaroid one is very similar.

Tue Nov 29, 2011 5:55 am

at that price I got one to play with...

If you ever get back to your hack of the Bescor I'd be interested to see what you come up with...a better controller or especially an interface to the MX2 for it would be something I'd definitely be interested in buying.

The bulk of the Merlin is a big drawback for traveling with it...The size of these (and price) makes them attractive...and even though limited, the movement on these is usually enough for what I want to do.

thanks...Ric

Adobe Certified Instructor | Apple Certified Trainer

Member: APA (National VP) | NANPA | NPPA | PLUS

Tue Nov 29, 2011 8:32 am

The easiest hack I have found for adapting any motor to be controlled by the MX-2 is to get a relay with a 12 volt coil and use it to interrupt the power to the motor. Attach two wires to the relay coil inputs and run them to a barrel plug that fits one of the MX-2's motor sockets. Some relays have a small rectifier across the coil to prevent a mini-EMP from getting back to the drive circuit. If so, there will be a + and a - polarity for the relay coil. Be sure to match the polarity of the current coming from the MX-2 motor socket.

When you wire into your pan-tilt unit, you can find one of the wires running from the battery compartment and splice the switch part of the relay into the line so the switch only makes a connection when the relay coil is activated. The MX-2 will activate the relay for a certain number of seconds each time a frame is fired off. During that time, the motor turns. Increasing the inches per frame on the MX-2 controller will increase the amount of time the relay is active for each frame. Once the MX-2 cuts power to the relay, the motor stops and waits until after the next frame is taken. If you don't want to alter your pan-tilt unit, you can always make your own external battery pack and connect it to the spring and tab in the pan-tilts battery compartment with alligator clips. Use the relay to interrupt the power from the external pack, and you're good to go.

Tue Nov 29, 2011 9:14 am

An update on the Polaroid Pan/Tilt Head.

I got one of these and took it apart last week. It has 2 motors belt drive to worm gears for pan and tilt. The motors are largish standard DC 2 wire which are reversible and voltage variable. The unit's standard voltage is 7.5 volts. The pan and tilt are limited, pan to 120 degrees. This probably is due to the motors are in the pan section while the power & batteries are in the base. It looks like the stop for the pan could be cut out of the plastic gear to allow for more pan. I think they did this due to limited cable run between the base and pan head.

On it's own the pan head turns at 6 degrees a second, this is the only speed with fresh batteries. The tilt is only 15 degrees forwards and 15 degrees back,

It should not be too difficult bypass the circuit board and hook up an external controller directly to the motors via pulses and voltage to allow slower pans for timelapse work.

Here are some Pictures of it taken apart

Thu Feb 23, 2012 5:31 pm

I rise again this very interesting topic to ask if someone successed in hacking the polaroid. Much seems to depend on the motors and their ability to provide small and reliable motion when powered with pulse modulation. Any news?
Thanks, Lorenzo

Tue Apr 24, 2012 10:51 am