It is currently Tue Jan 28, 2020 11:33 am

Problems with Meade and computer comunication 

Post Problems with Meade and computer comunication
Listen guys, first, sorry about the bad english.

I´m a brazilian user of the Meade head and control for timelipse. I was prety happy when it was anounced that we could do motion control with the millapse and Open Moco (actually it was a dream that I had..very poetic, no?).

Now, I´ve got a #497 control but I don´t Know what´s happening that I can´t stablish a connection betwen the computer and the control. First I thoght it was a problem on the serial/usb cable. Used on an old PC a serial port, and the Autostar Software Update (ASU) continued saying "A connection couldn´t be established. Do you want that the program find the connection on the COM port? (or something like that)". Yes Mr. ASU, please, do that for me".
Baaaang. Nop, did´t found anything. "Do you want to download the update anyway". Yep, bring it to me.

I want to say guys that I did everything required on the Open Moco website, and all the youtube tutorials. I guess that my Meade 497 came from the store with the firmware 43Eg (the one that was downloaded by ASU, and not the 43gg10 that is recomended to work with Open Moco, is that a problem too?

I followed a tutorial by a guy on Open Moco to discover if there really is a connection on the COM ports using the software Hiperterminal. The guy saind that if you pressed Ctrl+F on your keyboard (being on the Align Menu of the control) I would have an answer of the letter "A" or "P"...if a connection would be established. But I had a simbol answer, yes sir, game card simbols...and I thought, what the hell, what kind of answer is that...continue on next...

Wed Feb 03, 2010 9:23 am

Post Re: Problems with Meade and computer comunication
Just continuing...
So, when I press the "Connect" button on the ASU, or on the open Moco software It says that there is nothing connected on the COM port. I really don´t Know what to do whith myself..hehehe.

Please guys, if someone have a clue, please help me. I and two other frieds are alone here breaking our heads.

Thanks for the atention.

Diogo - Radioativ.

Wed Feb 03, 2010 9:31 am

Is there somekind of driver that can do the recognizement of the control? Cause a friend brought the control and head from the U.S. and left some stuff there. I don´t Know if he forgot some installation CD or something like that.

Thanks.

Wed Feb 03, 2010 9:36 am
you shouldn't have that much trouble connecting to the handbox via ASU...

Something is wrong: Maybe your cable, maybe the handbox (power?), maybe your com port is dead, maybe try a usb to serial converter...

It should not difficult at all to connect to the handbox via ASU.

Wed Feb 03, 2010 10:59 am

Jay, the guy did the cable wrong, now it's fixed and working. Thanks a lot. But the Timesmotion program just searches to COM ports named till number 10. In some computers it's not working cause they have port higher than 10. How can I do the communication on this way?

Thaks a lot.

Fri Feb 12, 2010 12:02 pm
I don't think it can work with a comport over 10... That's a new one on me.

Have you checked your windows hardware manager to see what port your serial is connected to and manually set it? if it's above 10... I dunno.

Fri Feb 12, 2010 12:59 pm
@Milapse - do you let them manually enter a comport?

If so, it should be entered as \\.\COM10, \\.\COM11, etc.

Yeah, it's a windows oddity from back before they supported com ports > 10.

Otherwise, one may simply re-assign the com port in the device manager, once the device has been connected.

!c

Fri Feb 12, 2010 1:10 pm
shutterdrone wrote:
Otherwise, one may simply re-assign the com port in the device manager, once the device has been connected.

I think that's what he may have to do.

Fri Feb 12, 2010 1:16 pm