It is currently Mon Sep 28, 2020 1:08 am

MiLapse head and dolly qustions. 

Post MiLapse head and dolly qustions.
Hi there everyone,

I am fairly new to time-lapse and have scoured the web and pages of these forums to come up with a solution that best fits my needs, but still have a few questions for MiLapse users and dolly users:

I have a Canon 5dmkii with a TC-80N3 timer remote controller that I use as an intervalometer.

1. Does the Meade/Milapse head have a stepper function? If so, how do you sync the shutter with the movement of the head?

2. I am keen to make a dolly similar to one found in the forums here:
http://www.timescapes.org/phpBB3/viewto ... =31&t=1511
Is it possible to add a stepper function to such a rig? Or should I just be waiting for the openmoco designs found here: http://www.openmoco.org/node/112

3. Is there a gizmo out there ha can be programmed to adjust exposure to compensate for dramatic shifts in light levels e.g.. going from night to day? I have completely manual lenses, so would need some sort of motorised unit to control the iris over a specific time. Or some program that could adjust the shutter speed over time. The obvious answer may be to set the camera to auto exposure, but I have had too many bad results doing tis with wildly varying exposures between frames.

4. If I purchase the Meade/Milapse head, will it be able to retrofit to the openmoco stop start systems mentioned above?

5. Has anyone had success fitting a Canon 5Dmkii to the Meade head with the L bracket?

Many thanks!

Marden

Wed Feb 10, 2010 3:37 pm
Post Re: MiLapse head and dolly qustions.
1. the 'milapse head' is a 'continuous motion' solution.
2. you could drive any rig with a stepper motor and the openmoco engine. you'd just have to design it yourself or wait till we get the openmoco kits rolling
3. there is 'bulb ramping' built into the openmoco engine . you can probably only depend on the fastest shutter around 1/30" in bulb mode though
4. no
5. I believe that's no problem lots of 5dmkii owners that are 'milapse head' users

Wed Feb 10, 2010 3:55 pm

Hi Milapse,

that's a big help. Thanks for getting back to me so quickly.
I think I'll invest in a milaspse head for now and upgrade to an openmoco solution down the track...

Cheers,

Marden

Wed Feb 10, 2010 4:51 pm
Great place to start. You'll learn a lot just working with that and getting the hang of seeing the world one frame at a time.

Wed Feb 10, 2010 7:41 pm