It is currently Wed Jan 29, 2020 1:25 am

I need major help slowing the Autostar 497 

Post I need major help slowing the Autostar 497
Long time reader, 1st time poster here! Most of my questions were answered in other posts, so I never needed to post anything.
I finally went ahead and got me the Autostar 497 Milapse Head to do some panning in my time lapses, but I'm having some major issues trying to figure out how to slow it down...

I've watched milapse's video about setting it to 1.00 in the az ratio and the 8x concept, except I can't find that 8x menu anywhere in the settings..

I also found the flash link to calculate the exact amount to set the az ratio to get a certain amount of degrees in lets say an hour or so!
no luck following that as well..
Am I missing something

Here's the only thing that I'm currently trying to do... move from one side to another horizontally (lets say about 150-180 degrees) over the course of about 1 hr... I'm shooting 1 frame ever 4 seconds, so hopefully in an hour I can get about 30 seconds of footage playing at 30fps

I went out today... and set the az ratio to .564 to get something like that.. but I feel like it covered the 150 degrees in less than a total of 25ish mins... idk what I'm doing wrong..
this is what my video ended up looking like!.. is this what it's supposed to end up like and I'm just supposed to play it slower? But by doing that, I'm still not getting the cloud movements as I'd like.. I had to stop the panning and leave the camera in one spot to kinda see the cloud motion, and then as I move again, you'll see that it moves super fast again!

Please help... thanx

Wed Apr 07, 2010 5:17 pm
Post Re: I need major help slowing the Autostar 497
Welcome msp,

If I understand your quandary it's a simple operation: each number on the pad represents a sidereal speed so simply pressing a number will change the sidereal rate (and display that setting briefly on the display)

For a horizontal move of 150 over an hour that's the 'rule of thumb' - 8x @ Az ratio of 1.0

If your az ratio was around .5 and you got 150 in about 25min my guess would be your current sidereal was set inadvertently to 16x? Assuming 4 sec per shot that looks like the case from your sample vid. :-)

Wed Apr 07, 2010 6:49 pm

milapse wrote:
Welcome msp,

If I understand your quandary it's a simple operation: each number on the pad represents a sidereal speed so simply pressing a number will change the sidereal rate (and display that setting briefly on the display)

For a horizontal move of 150 over an hour that's the 'rule of thumb' - 8x @ Az ratio of 1.0

If your az ratio was around .5 and you got 150 in about 25min my guess would be your current sidereal was set inadvertently to 16x? Assuming 4 sec per shot that looks like the case from your sample vid. :-)

perfect.. that totally slowed it down.. can't wait to give it a shot tomorrow..

so I was reading the other thread about shooting stars but the speed still being fast, so what's a good setting to do stars while keeping it moving at 8x speed with an Az ratio of 1.0?

lets say for example I was shooting 25 second shots, with 1 second gaps

or should I reduce my time for each frame and have more shots instead?
I've not shot night stuff so tomorrow might be the first attempt so don't want it to go to waste if I spend a few hrs out there and have the settings all wrong!

share your wisdom please.. thanx!

Wed Apr 07, 2010 8:56 pm
you've got to go very slow for astro work...

Work the math: once you get a feeling what 8x@AZ 1@4sec intervals gives you... Now your talking 25 sec intervals so the speed has to adjust accordingly; 4/25=.16 so shifting to 2x will give you .25 and .5 az ratio will cut that in half again = .125 which is a little slower than your .16 goal but close and conservative... So you'll get similar slightly slower results with 2x@AZ .5@25 sec intervals to your original test. Make sense?

Once you get a feel for a focal length, interval and speed that pleases you. Pimp that calculator! ;)

Wed Apr 07, 2010 9:31 pm