It is currently Sun Dec 08, 2019 8:58 pm

Basic speed settings using Milapse Head & 497 
Post Basic speed settings using Milapse Head & 497
Here's a question from the mailbag. ;)

mailbag wrote:
I recently purchased the head and 497 controller and am having a devil of a time getting it programmed. Have repeatedly watched your "youtube" video but as the controllers are different and the terms are different, I can't seem to get it to work. Do you have instructions or do you know where I might find instructions on setting up the 497?

Really appreciate your help.

Thanks,
(name withheld to protect the innocent)

There are two settings that 'dial in' the panning speed. Sidereal (2x, 8x, 16x etc) and Ratio (az ratio and alt ratio)

1. Sidereal: is set by simply pressing a number on the keypad. Each number corresponds to a sidereal setting. When you press a number you'll see the sidereal multiplier appear at the top of the screen briefly:
Key 2 = 2x
Key 3 = 8x
Key 4 = 16x
Key 5 = 64x
Key 6 = 0.5 degrees / sec
Key 7 = 1 degrees / sec
Key 8 = 1.5 degrees / sec
Key 9 = MAX

2. Ratio can be found in the menu system, they are under SETTINGS->TELESCOPE there are two types of ratio settings AZ (horizontal) and ALT (vertical). The ratio is just that 1 is a factor of 1, 2 is a factor of 2, .5 is a factor of half. (math thing ;) )

Okay now that you understand how to change the two settings what do they mean?? Well let's start by saying you could ignore the ratio and get by! The only reason the Ratio comes into play is when you want to get speeds INBETWEEN the basic speed settings (2x, 8x, 16x etc) :ugeek:

What in tha heck does sidereal mean? Sidereal is basically the rotation of the earth in a day! So 360d in 24hours. If you set the sidereal to 2x the head will rotate 720 degrees in 24 hours or 30 degrees per hour. Vola. you have a basic rate of speed. 8x is 2880 degrees in 24 hours or 120 degrees per hour. and so on...

To get a speed inbetween 30 degrees per hour(2x) and 120 degrees per hour(8x) you can set the controller to 8x and then set the AZ ratio to .5 . This will effectively half the current speed so the result would be... 60 degrees per hour.

I hope this serves as a guide for many people because its one of the most common question. I'll make this post sticky too

Sat Oct 09, 2010 6:49 pm

Post Re: Basic speed settings using Milapse Head & 497
Note: If you change the Az or Alt ratio, the new ratio will not be applied until you have also set/reset the speed (2x, 8x etc.).

Sat Oct 09, 2010 7:09 pm

So once the AZ ratio, ALT ratio and the Sidereal are set, the head should move at the rate programed when the motor button is depressed? I am trying to use this calculator to determine the AZ ratio and ALT ratio for a given pan. By entering the numbers generated into the appropriate location on the 497, I should get a movement of "x" degrees in time interval I have entered. Correct?

However, when I clamp down the far right motor button, the head moves at its default speed. Am I failing to enter something or are there steps after the AZ/ALT ratio and Sidereal are entered which let the know the new numbers?

Sun Oct 10, 2010 10:57 am
I'm not sure what the 'default speed' is? :-) MAX?

When you press any number button do you see a sidereal x factor appear on the screen?

Sun Oct 10, 2010 4:40 pm

Yes. I get the 2x, 8x, 16x ... Here is my step by step. Power up, scroll to Setup, scroll down to Telescope, scroll to AZ ratio enter number, hit enter, hit mode, scroll to ALT ratio, enter number, hit enter, hit mode, scroll to Tracking Rate, hit enter to Sidereal, enter a number, the corresponding speed is illuminated, hit enter, hit mode. At this point, if I hold down the right motion key, the head will pan at a very fast rate, nothing close to the expected 137 degrees/hour. More like 400 degrees/minute or more. Have I missed a step?

Sun Oct 10, 2010 6:04 pm

That's another common issue to be aware of. When that happens, run motor calibration ("Calibrate motors" in the "Telescope" menu, automated procedure that requires no input from you). Once that's done (just a few seconds) the head should pan at the set speed.

Sun Oct 10, 2010 6:27 pm
KBStudio wrote:
scroll to Tracking Rate, hit enter to Sidereal, enter a number, the corresponding speed is illuminated, hit enter, hit mode.

This part confuses me because all you have to do is press a number nothing else no enter no mode no scroll to tracking rate nothing... Each number on the pad corresponds to a sidereal x rate. When you press a number you'll see the sidereal multiplier appear at the top of the screen briefly.

I'm kinda baffled here... Maybe flyvholm is onto it?? There's also the total reset in the settings menu... *shrug*

Sun Oct 10, 2010 9:15 pm

Thanks Guys. I got it to work. I was adding too many steps. I first calibrated the motors, Thanks flyvholm. I then returned to Sidereal and entered 3 or 8X. Now instead of leaving this menu section, Thanks Jay, I pushed down the motor button and the motor started moving slowly. All right!!! Thanks again guys. Now to have some fun.

Mon Oct 11, 2010 4:28 am

Well now I am back to square one. I can't get the head to recognize the speed settings I input. Here is a blow by blow of the actions I take.
1-Turn on the head with 497 control, waiting for full boot up
2-Use mode and up/down scroll keys to access "Setup:Telescope"
3-Hit "enter" to access Telescope.
4-Scroll down to Az/RA Ratio hit enter, entered 01.0000 hit enter. I have entered other numbers with changing the pan results
5-Scroll down to Alt/Dec Ratio hit enter, entered 00.0000 hit enter. I have entered 01.0000 also without a change in results.
6-Scroll down to "Calibrate motors" hit enter, motors tested. After completed
7-Scroll up to "Tracking Speed" hit enter, "Tracking Speed/Sidereal" enter the number"3" Speed= 8x shows on display
8-Lastly I hold down the right side motor button, The head now moves at it's default rate 400 per minute(just a guess) not at the 150 degrees per hour as expected.

Where am I off? I thought this was the process I used when I got it to work.
Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Sun Oct 24, 2010 11:54 am
Your making this way more complicated than it is... Your still missing the most important step.

9. press mode repeatedly until your at the top of the menu, you should see "Select item:" now press a number key on button pad:
Key 2 = 2x
Key 3 = 8x
Key 4 = 16x
Key 5 = 64x
Key 6 = 0.5 degrees / sec
Key 7 = 1 degrees / sec
Key 8 = 1.5 degrees / sec
Key 9 = MAX

Try em all just so you can see it appear on the top of the screen and then press the arrow button so you can see the different speeds... Press 9 (MAX appears) press arrow button, goes fast. Now press 3 (8x appears) press arrow button, goes slow...

KBStudio wrote:
1-Turn on the head with 497 control, waiting for full boot up

Excellent!
KBStudio wrote:
2-Use mode and up/down scroll keys to access "Setup:Telescope"
3-Hit "enter" to access Telescope.

Yay!
KBStudio wrote:
4-Scroll down to Az/RA Ratio hit enter, entered 01.0000 hit enter

Bingo!
KBStudio wrote:
5-Scroll down to Alt/Dec Ratio hit enter, entered 00.0000 hit enter.

Why on earth are you doing this? Do you want the tilt speed to be 0?? Why?
KBStudio wrote:
6-Scroll down to "Calibrate motors" hit enter, motors tested.

There is no need to do this step...
KBStudio wrote:
7-Scroll up to "Tracking Speed" hit enter, "Tracking Speed/Sidereal" enter the number"3" Speed= 8x shows on display

What? I don't understand... Don't enter tracking speed in the telescope settings... Don't enter any settings in the telescope settings other than Az/Alt ratio. That's it. Press the mode button until your at the top of the menu then press any number on the keypad to change the sidereal multiplier.

Sun Oct 24, 2010 12:08 pm

Ok Jay.

I set the Az/RA Ratio 01.0000. Set the Alt/Del Ratio 00.0000
Pushed the Mode button til I reached the Menu "Select Item:Setup" Enter the number "2" pushed the right side motor button and got 360 degrees per minute. Pushed number "3" and got 270 degrees per minute. Pushed the number "9" button and got 270 degrees per minute.

The motor calibration was a flyvholm suggestion for the 497.

I just reread flyvhom's post and figured out my error.

The motor calibration is the "required" last step. Set everything up, choose the Speed and enter it, NOW go to Set/Telescope/Calibrate motor/ calibrate and push down the "motor button". The head moves at the expected speed.

So change the order I listed swapping 6 and 7. It works.

Now to write out these instruction and tape them to the back of my hand!

Sun Oct 24, 2010 1:56 pm
KBStudio wrote:
Pushed the Mode button til I reached the Menu "Select Item:Setup" Enter the number "2" pushed the right side motor button and got 360 degrees per minute. Pushed number "3" and got 270 degrees per minute. Pushed the number "9" button and got 270 degrees per minute.

something is terribly wrong here. Go to settings->reset and reset. I think you've messed something up by messing with all these different settings. Start fresh. Don't set any ratios until you first understand how to change the sidereal multiplier... Don't set the ratio to 0. That makes no sense!

Sun Oct 24, 2010 2:07 pm

Now it isn't working!!! This is really frustrating. I held down the right button a moment ago and it moved at a very slow rate. Took the clamp off to write up my findings. When I put the clamp on again, I was back to the "default or max" speed. Turned the unit off and did the above step by step process and NO GO. It is like the Meade computer is defective. I even tried Jay's system with and without the "Calibrate Motors". All give the same results 270 - 360 degrees per minute not the 137.5 degrees per hour that the settings should be giving.

Just got your post Jay. I understand the Sidereal number and x factor. I understand the concept of how this signals the unit to move a particular speed. What is a problem is the "order" in which the instructions must be entered into the Meade.

Sun Oct 24, 2010 2:18 pm

Ok. Reset twice. Use the Mode to access the "Select Item:Setup". Enter the number "3" for 8x sidereal. Push the right motor button and the head moved at 360 degrees to 270 degrees per minute, not 137.5 per hour. Did the above again but added the "Calibrate motors" step. No change. Still pans too fast. However, I did notice that the Alt/Dec motor was running very slowly. Both Az/RA and Alt/Dec were set to 01.00000. I also tried a reset without entering and settings in the two Ratios leaving the default settings. Again, the motors ran too fast.

Sun Oct 24, 2010 2:38 pm

I am not crazy. At least I am trying to convince myself of that.

Tested the Alt/Dec motor at each of the sidereal speeds and they worked as expected. However, at each speed setting there was no similar impact on the pan speed. I varied slightly but nothing like the Alt/Dec motor which slowed to a crawl at 2x and 8x. Az/RA was set to 01.0000 and Alt/Dec was set to 01.0000. I realize that these settings are not identical in their effect. But one would think that the pan motor speed would vary over the range of speed settings just as the Alt/Dec motor did.

So, is this a defective unit or am I still missing something?

Sun Oct 24, 2010 2:51 pm
Something is really really wrong here... If your resetting the controller and setting it to 8x (8x displays on the screen) it should not go 360d per minute... I don't know what to say except A. you've got a messed up head or B. you've got a messed up controller.

Sun Oct 24, 2010 2:54 pm

My confidence is waining but I think I have found the problem. Power.
I replaced the new Energizers with a set of Sanyo eneloop rechargeables and suddenly all speeds are available in both the AZ and the Alt motors.
Could it be so simple?

Sun Oct 24, 2010 3:38 pm

I was wondering, how do you correlate the speed on the controller to the deg/min in timeismotion? For instance i pressed 1deg/sec at a 1.0000az ratio on the controller, then i tried 60deg/min on timeismotion and it appears the same, but i left the ratio of 21621 and 30303 the same. Are they identical?

Wed Nov 17, 2010 5:52 pm

I created a sheet in Excell with the basic speeds and its times of the Meade 497.
I think it may be useful to have it printed.

I left the file open, so other people can work on it, add more stuff if is needed and share it here why not.

Cheers.

http://www.enriquepacheco.com/meade.zip

Mon Nov 22, 2010 6:54 pm

UPDATE: After working for two shoots, the Meade head stopped recognizing the slew rate for the Azimuth movement. It will only slew at the Maximum speed. The Altitude slew rate works perfectly changing it's speed with each slew rate setting. I spoke to Jose at Meade and describe the problem and what I had done to correct it. He decided it was the 497 controller and sent a new "Audiostar" 497 unit with the latest firmware. Again no luck. The Azimuth movement will not move at the prescribed slew rate only at it's Maximum setting. Again the Altitude works fine.

The retailer will not respond to my emails requesting a replacement or refund. This unit is only 4 months old and has only worked correctly a few times.

Any suggestions?

Thu Jan 20, 2011 2:29 pm