It is currently Sun Dec 08, 2019 2:44 am

movement during long exposures 

Post movement during long exposures
I've taken quite a few time lapse clips with my Canon 1D Mark IV on a stationery tripod. I'm really intrigued including movements in the my future TL projects and recently came across this website and board. First, thanks for all of the inspiration and knowledge!
I am planning on purchasing a Milapse system soon. My main question is; I normally shoot 30 second exposures for night-time skies. How do you avoid having movement occur during the exposure? Apologies, if the question is really simplistic, but I am eager to learn and have to9 start somewhere.

Fri Nov 12, 2010 10:19 am

Post Re: movement during long exposures
Short answer is you don't.
Some people like to use the move-shoot-move technique that is available on more advanced systems to get sharp clear pictures, but I think the majority here tend to just go for constant movement, as the movement is negligible for the most part, but also slight motion blur actually makes better looking video.
There are advantages to both techniques, but it comes down to personal choice.

Twitter Instagram Google+
Facebook Facebook Movie Page

Fri Nov 12, 2010 10:58 am

I was about to suggest putting it on a repeat cycle timer, but if an arrow button is pressed while the system turns on it just defaults to its max speed, which cant be changed via azimuth ratio. The milapse is super limited, it can do one move, no more no less.

Wed Nov 17, 2010 6:00 pm

Could you not modify a typewriter or something like that - press the space bar in between shots? I think I'm going to do something like that. Try to make it more portable,

Wed Apr 27, 2011 5:07 am

I have to concur with Antz (as usual :lol: ). There is definitely advantages on both sides of the fence...

One word of caution though... You may run into trouble by using the Meade DSM on a cycle timer. The head uses an encoder wheel and it takes a moment to settle into it's speed. That moment may be longer or shorter so you may find it goes slightly different distances every time you cycle it.

Wed Apr 27, 2011 6:14 am