It is currently Sat Aug 15, 2020 11:14 am

New Celestron AllView (due out ~now) 

Post Re: New Celestron AllView (due out ~now)
rojhan wrote:
I got Papywizard running on a different machine and it handles both move and shoot setup as Merlin/Orion.

How did you get this working? What settings in papywizard did you use? I can't seem to get it working, though it might be a USB - Serial adapter problem.

Fri Mar 23, 2012 3:31 pm

I've got the 2nd beta of the new firmware. I still need to try it, but running in stand-alone (not connected to the mount) mode, the settings are no longer scrambled when I put in a 580-image setting.

my27: Let me check with Celestron if I can share.

Fri Mar 23, 2012 5:11 pm

rojhan wrote:
I've got the 2nd beta of the new firmware. I still need to try it, but running in stand-alone (not connected to the mount) mode, the settings are no longer scrambled when I put in a 580-image setting.

my27: Let me check with Celestron if I can share.

Thanks a lot! Can't wait!

Fri Mar 23, 2012 5:46 pm

Got mine in today, haven't had a chance to play with it yet - but dang, this thing's a beast!

Won't work on the Stage Zero - the bottom axis is so large it hits the motor. About 50% wider at the base than a Merlin, we're looking at mount adapters for it (after we determine if it fully works with the MX2).

!c

Fri Mar 23, 2012 7:05 pm

my27questions wrote:
rojhan wrote:
I got Papywizard running on a different machine and it handles both move and shoot setup as Merlin/Orion.

How did you get this working? What settings in papywizard did you use? I can't seem to get it working, though it might be a USB - Serial adapter problem.

I didn't do anything special other than set all the plugins to Merlin/Orion.

Sat Mar 24, 2012 5:34 am

Did the same here, was there anything you had to do with the hand contoller? Like put it in a special mode or something? Mine shows that it connects, but doesnt initialize. Doesn't matter to much for me if 'm able to use the hand contoller instead, since this is the reason I bought this thing.

Sat Mar 24, 2012 1:18 pm

my27questions wrote:
Did the same here, was there anything you had to do with the hand contoller? Like put it in a special mode or something? Mine shows that it connects, but doesnt initialize. Doesn't matter to much for me if 'm able to use the hand contoller instead, since this is the reason I bought this thing.

Ah. Yeah, there is a setting to put the controller in PC mode. Not very intuitive to get there. Turn on, enter to get into panoramic mode, then escape out and find the utility menu and then PC mode.

Sat Mar 24, 2012 1:25 pm

Awesome! Worked right away, I suspected there was something I was missing. Thanks a bunch, your a legend!

Sat Mar 24, 2012 5:20 pm

Celestron OK'd sharing the firmware. Attached to this post.

Attachments:
AllViewV0309AZPanoB18.zip [423.57 KiB]
Downloaded 547 times
Mon Mar 26, 2012 3:01 pm

rojhan wrote:

Awesome man, thanks. I loaded the firmware up and setup a quick test shot, i was able to set it up for 2046 photos in a single pan with no error! Looks fixed to me, should be able to theoetically handle 9999 photos I'm guessing. That should be enough photos.

Mon Mar 26, 2012 6:31 pm

If anybody gets the chance to compare the hand-controller pano generation vs Papywizard, I'd be interested in how accurate the alignment is. I probably won't have the chance to look closer for a couple of weeks.

It "feels" like the hand controller does a fire-and-forget moving the head (goto Alt/Az) where the Papywizard has a feedback loop (goto Alt/Az, compare position, repeat if needed).

Listening to the mount move during hand-controller operation, it sounds like some movement steps are bigger/smaller than others (longer/shorter duration hearing the motors run).

Tue Mar 27, 2012 9:50 am

Actually the "seek" mode of Papywizard seems to be because of the "use alternative drive" option for Merlin/Orion which defaulted as on for me.

Tue Mar 27, 2012 4:11 pm

Does anyone else's unit keep the focus line active -all the time- in pano mode? It makes it a real PITA to work my camera, it cancels menus, etc. to have the focus held high the whole time.

!c

Sat Mar 31, 2012 11:06 am

I've got a Canon 5D2 and 7D, so the shutter cable that came with the mount wasn't the right one. I bought a cheap ($4 or so) shutter release from Amazon and cut/spliced the wires together. I only used the shutter wire, not focus, since I won't be doing auto-focus.

You could do some minor surgery on your cable and disable the AF wire.

Sun Apr 01, 2012 7:17 am

Yeah, I know I can create a new cable - its just frustrating that they took the lazy way, so that without a custom cable, you can't see the preview of any shots during a pano sequence (at least on my camera, a "half-press" cancels any action, and focus is a "half-press").

!c

Sun Apr 01, 2012 10:08 am

Other than the half-press issue with the focus-tap, does it work with the MX-2? Does it work exactly the same way in the "scope" menu or are there some tricks or changes required to use it? I'll get one if I can adapt the plug and run it like the Merlin. I don't need the focus tap because i use manual lenses most of the time.

Sun Apr 01, 2012 11:10 am

sciencelookers wrote:
Other than the half-press issue with the focus-tap, does it work with the MX-2? Does it work exactly the same way in the "scope" menu or are there some tricks or changes required to use it? I'll get one if I can adapt the plug and run it like the Merlin. I don't need the focus tap because i use manual lenses most of the time.

It has some serious issues with the MX2, unknown as to the source of them right now, but it only works in manual mode on the MX2. Otherwise it behaves erratically.

!c

Mon Apr 02, 2012 1:45 pm

rojhan wrote:

rojhan, any information about a new/final firmware for the allview?

Thu Jul 19, 2012 6:55 am

socke wrote:
rojhan wrote:

rojhan, any information about a new/final firmware for the allview?

The only thing I've had from Celestron is the firmware that was posted. Nothing new at all from Celestron.

Thu Jul 19, 2012 7:09 am

Hello to all!

just bought the Merlin head, anyone can answer a few questions:

1)firmware that put Rojhan. I have to upgrade firmware the head or hand-controler?
2) what features in this firmware? where can I read about it?
3)what about shutter cable? how it should be modified? anyone can post the scheme?

Thu Aug 23, 2012 4:46 am

kir602 wrote:
Hello to all!

1)firmware that put Rojhan. I have to upgrade firmware the head or hand-controler?
3)what about shutter cable? how it should be modified? anyone can post the scheme?

If you bouht a Merlin and not the "All-view" then you shouldn't need to change the firmware. The mount Rojhan is talking about is a completley different mount that just came out that is NOT a good replacement for the Merlin.

Thu Aug 23, 2012 9:33 am

Just got mine yesterday. Well I'm pissed off on Skywatcher. Apparently in Europe you pay more to get less.
The AllView is sold without the camera mounting brackets and shutter release cable.
The cable is not a big deal, but the bracket is a very big deal as it allows to adjust for the NPP in both camera orientations.
The distributor does not even have the bracket on sale.

Any suggestions where to get such a bracket from?

Sat Aug 25, 2012 6:00 am

One more question: the shutter release jack on the AllView. I can't get it to work with my wireless triggers.
I got the right cable (PC->2.5 mm mono TRS connector)and it'll fire as soon as it's shorted. AllView goes to the motions of shooting, but doesn't release the trigger.
It states that it's Canon compatible, so maybe it's not shorting the connection, but doing something else, I have no clue and no Canon DSLRs at hand.
Any ideas?

Sat Aug 25, 2012 4:29 pm

skyml wrote:
kir602 wrote:
Hello to all!

If you bouht a Merlin and not the "All-view" then you shouldn't need to change the firmware. The mount Rojhan is talking about is a completley different mount that just came out that is NOT a good replacement for the Merlin.

Please explain what i need ? What are the options to use?

In this thread man put allview firmware on merlin.

http://www.kolor.com/forum/t9635-new-me ... -goto-user
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1pBJqsjqVWY

Sat Aug 25, 2012 11:31 pm

So, this is interesting. The guy put the Allview firmware into the GOTO controller for a Merlin. Another example of how versitle the Merlin is, odd that the Allview is not as versitle.

Clearly, to make this work you will need the GOTO controller. But to be honest, I don't see the Allview programing all that exciting compared to my MX2 or Papywizard.

Sun Aug 26, 2012 7:02 am

Hey guys! Wanted to seek your help on the following.

Background:
I purchased the Celestron Allview Skywatcher telescope head to be used for panorama/gigapixel photos. It is still being shipped.

Questions:
1. I have a Nikon D90 camera. I know the head ships with a Canon cable release. Will this cable be used to drive the Nikon (http://www.amazon.com/Replacement-Adapt ... able+nikon)

2. Does the head work seamlessly with papywizard? Or do I need to do major tweaking?

3. The cable for connecting the computer (papywizard) to the head is provided with the head?

4. When I use the following web tool (http://www.photosbykev.com/wordpress/ti ... generator/) to generate the preset for 360x180; it seem to have position outside the square simulator of Papywizard. Am I doing anything wrong?

Thanks guys once again for the help! Really appreciate it!
Regards,
John

Mon Oct 01, 2012 1:30 am

The cable that came with mine in the USA is a stereo (3 conductor) cable. When the shutter is activated the tip and sleeve connection are shorted. However, it's not a mechanical connection, it goes through a transistor so polarity matters.

kosmarnik wrote:
One more question: the shutter release jack on the AllView. I can't get it to work with my wireless triggers.
I got the right cable (PC->2.5 mm mono TRS connector)and it'll fire as soon as it's shorted. AllView goes to the motions of shooting, but doesn't release the trigger.
It states that it's Canon compatible, so maybe it's not shorting the connection, but doing something else, I have no clue and no Canon DSLRs at hand.
Any ideas?

Wed Oct 17, 2012 6:41 am

If you are thinking of using the Celestron SkyWatcher AllView panoramic head as a standalone head to make panoramas, you will be disappointed. I purchased this product in April of this year for the purpose of taking large (gigapixel) panoramas with my DSLR and telephoto lens. After some initial frustration with using it for panoramas, I discovered via some postings on an internet forum that the panorama software shipping with the panoramic head had major software defects and that an updated version was available. An email to Celestron Tech Support resulted in a copy of the new software a couple days later. After installing the software, the head appeared to work correctly.

I used it on a subsequent trip to Yellowstone to take a number of gigapixel panoramas and didn’t discover until I got home that there are defects still in the hand controller software that prevent stitching software from automatically stitching the photos. There are two defects, one adds extra exposures to some, but not all rows of photos. For example, one of my panoramas had rows 1-6 with 56 exposures, rows 7-9 with 58 exposures, and rows 9-16 with 56 exposures. The second causes each row of exposures to be offset from the one above and below it by about a half a frame. While it is possible to manually add control points so that the software can stitch the exposures, it could easily take 40 hours to do an 800-1000 exposure panorama.

The defects show up anytime that you use a telephoto lens with a field of view (FOV) of less than about 3.5 degrees (equivalent to about a 200mm lens and longer). I reported this to Celestron in August, who initially responded with “We'll ask our software engineers and will let you know asap.” After a couple of months and a couple more emails asking for status they are now saying (as of 10/18/2012) “The current firmware and basic software included cannot solve your two problems.” As of this writing the current version is AllViewV0309AZPanoB18.ssf (Ver.03.09.24). It’s unfortunate that such an excellent control head has one of its major features crippled by software defects. Smaller panoramas may work on this head, but if you are going to do a smaller panoramas, there are lighter weight and more cost effective solutions.

After reading about Papywizard here on the forum, I thought I'd give it a try. I had a problem with the most current version, as soon as the head advanced to the second row the head started rotating around the declination axis uncontrolably. I switched to an earlier version at random (2.1.18-1) and it works fine. I took it to Donner Summit in the Sierras yesterday and was able to do an 897 exposure panorama without any problems. Unfortunatley, if you’re like me and do mostly landscape photography, the added weight of a laptop in addition to the head and tripod (14.6 Lbs.) plus a 12 volt battery, a camera and a big telephoto lens is a bit much to pack on a trail. The laptop battery life also limits you to one large panorama (about 90 minutes for 1000 exposures). Any chance of getting Papywizard ported to the IPad/IPhone or Android?

Sat Oct 20, 2012 5:11 pm

Hi there Folks, I just got my Allview Head with SynScan AZ here.

I am having some difficulty with it - I upgaded the firmware to 3.35 from the out of the box version 3.09.07 - neither of which am I seeing the Panoramic Functions.

From what I gather in the upgrade they have removed the Panoramic function and replaced it with Camera Control. (Or have I downloaded the wrong firmware?)

I bought this specifically for time-lapse and video purposes and was wondering if someone could help me out here, the only options I seem to have are for celestial tracking etc - zero options for Easy Pano / Preset Pano etc and Video Coursing.

I was hoping that I could bypass all of the camera control options and use my Bramper as the intervelometer and just use video coursing presets for my motion with this.

I would love to get some feedback on this, what am I doing wrong not being able to access the panoramic and video menu? Must the camera be plugged in to access these menus?

Manual says:
Attach Camera
Power on
Press Enter
Select operating mode
Scroll to select Panoramic mode

NADA!!! Nothing no Operation Mode menu at all.

Looking forward to your thoughts guys.
Thanks

Sat Dec 28, 2013 1:47 pm