It is currently Thu Oct 22, 2020 1:15 am

Celestron Allview Skywatcher Mount for Panorama 

Post Celestron Allview Skywatcher Mount for Panorama
Hey guys! Wanted to seek your help on the following.

Background:
I purchased the Celestron Allview Skywatcher telescope head to be used for panorama/gigapixel photos. It is still being shipped.

Questions:
1. I have a Nikon D90 camera. I know the head ships with a Canon cable release. Will this cable be used to drive the Nikon (http://www.amazon.com/Replacement-Adapt ... le+release)

2. Does the head work seamlessly with papywizard? Or do I need to do major tweaking?

3. The cable for connecting the computer (papywizard) to the head is provided with the head?

4. When I use the following web tool (http://www.photosbykev.com/panoramas/pr ... 0x180.html) to generate the preset for 360x180; it seem to have position outside the square simulator of Papywizard. Am I doing anything wrong? (See attached screenshot)

Thanks guys once again for the help! Really appreciate it!
Regards,
John

Screenshot:

Attachments:
File comment: Screenshot
Papy.jpg
Papy.jpg [ 44.53 KiB | Viewed 6838 times ]
Mon Oct 01, 2012 11:32 pm

Post Re: Celestron Allview Skywatcher Mount for Panorama
Hi John,

I will be ordering an AllView as well, I am just waiting a while to see if any other people in the EU want to join me in organizing a group buy from one of the Celestron dealers in Europe. I posted all the details I can find here:

http://www.kolor.com/forum/t16061-any-other-photographers-in-the-eu-interested-in-doing-a-bulk-purchase

I downloaded the user manuals from Celestron and checked details in the support section of their USA web site, and based on that info, here are the answers to your questions 1,2 and 3:

These people in the USA have the correct remote trigger cables for other DSLR's such as Nikon. The cable has to have a mini-stereo plug on the end that connects to the AllView controller.

http://www.microsyncdigital.com/camerafiringcord.cfm

The supplied controller can be put into a Papywizard compatible mode in which control is passed via a serial link RS232 cable which is supplied with the AllView. If your computer does not have an RS232 interface then you will need a USB to RS232 box, these being available on Ebay for a few Euros.

I can't answer your last question.

The AllView has been tested with Papywizard by the manufacturers and it is a supported configuration, apparently. However the supplied controller has very advanced functionality including time lapse mode which is not yet implemented in Papywizard. So I will be using the controller that comes with the AllView. This will save me the weight and cost of a netbook to run Papywizard.

Best regards,
Rob

Sat Oct 13, 2012 1:00 am

Hi John,

I just ordered it, couldn't wait for others to respond to group buy, also an admin on another forum deleted my post about trying to organize a group buy, so I decided just to look after myself in future! Please keep in touch and let's compare notes on using the AllView?

My camera is a Canon EOS 500D with the big EFS 17-55 f2.8 lens. My photography is mainly in Greece. Very keen to increase the quality of my panoramic shots, handheld attempts were disappointing.

Regards,
Rob

Sat Oct 13, 2012 2:24 am

I got the celestron Allview skywatcher. I am yet to try it out. I followed the instruction manual and tried the head it seemed to be working.

I am yet to connect the camera, so
- No idea whether it takes the correct shots and how the stitching program will process the images taken.
- No idea whether the remote trigger cable will work with D90/D800
- Also have not tried using Papywizard

Have you tried yours yet?
Regards

Thu Dec 20, 2012 1:18 am

Okie! I got the papywizard communications issue resolved! The head now takes commands from Papywizard!

The documentation is very limited; but google helped.

You will need to get the Skywatcher to the PC mode. These are the steps -
1. Turn on the Papywizard
2. Enter to get into panoramic mode
3. Then escape out
4. find the utility menu and then enter the PC mode (hidden in the Utility menu)

Before these you will need to have the Papywizard setup on your computer and have the cable connected.
1. My netbook doesnt have a COM/Serial port. So I used a Trendnet TU-S9 (http://www.amazon.com/TRENDnet-RS-232-S ... B0007T27H8) to connect the RS232 cable provided with Skywatcher Allview.
2. Installed the Trendnet TU-S9 driver on the PC and confirgured it to COM3 (this is done automatically by the installer)
3. Followed instructions in the Skywatcher manual to download the latest firmware (under support tab at http://www.celestron.com/astronomy/cele ... mount.html); You will all need to install the download utility to get this onto the Skywatcher (follow the instructions in the printed manual that comes with the Skywatcher)
4. Installed papywizard
5. Configured papywizard to use serial port (you will have to enter the exact text 'COM3' under the Port name textbox)
6. Click connect on Papywizard after ensuring that the Skywatcher was in PC mode (see my instructions above)
7. And Voila! It worked!

Hope this is helpfull!

Thu Dec 20, 2012 8:59 pm

Still have this Papywizard alignment issue. Can anyone comment on how to set the default/initialised position on the Skywatcher?

How does Papywizard know what the default position is?

Thu Dec 20, 2012 9:00 pm

Contact me if you need a Allview Bluetooth to use with PapyWizard. !

Fri Aug 08, 2014 6:04 pm