It is currently Thu Jan 23, 2020 5:31 am

Remotely change shutter/iso w/ D800 intervalometer? 

Post Remotely change shutter/iso w/ D800 intervalometer?
Greetings,

I'm relatively new to time lapse photography but this is a capability I can't find. I would like to be able to remotely change shutter speed / iso while using the on-board intervalometer on my Nikon D800.

At present I have to physically move the dials on the camera. It seems someone must make a simple remote to duplicate that functionality. Even better would be a remote that also duplicates the camera exposure indication on the top display.

Thanks in advance,

rgames

Sun Apr 21, 2013 9:32 am

Post Re: Remotely change shutter/iso w/ D800 intervalometer?
I too have a D800 (and a D700, with which I have more timelpase experience; their intervalometers and many controls work the same), and I am curious to hear others' thoughts.

So far, the only solution I've come across to do what you are asking is the Promote Control ( http://www.promotesystems.com ). It's not a "simple" remote nor is it inexpensive. I don't have the Promote Control, but I have researched it and I believe it will do what you (we) are after.

For much shooting, the built-in Nikon intervalometer does the job just fine for controlling the shots, but it would be great to have a little more (remote) control. I make my ISO/shutter adjustments just as you described and, as long as the tripod setup is sufficiently sturdy and there is adequate time between exposures, it seems to work just fine; I haven't noticed any jostling of the camera appearing in the images.

I am particularly interested in having the hands-off ISO/shutter speed control capability when I am shooting on my Emotimo TB3 pan-tilt head because I'd prefer to avoid taking a chance with jarring the camera. It's not as stable on the Emotimo as with a regular tripod setup, and it seems much more prone to being jarred (and Brian of Emotimo encourages NOT touching the camera while shooting from the Emotimo, although Gunther of LRTimelapse says he does it all the time with no problems).

Hopefully others have some additional thoughts. For my shooting, I do not want to be encumbered with tethering to a laptop.

Bill

Sun Apr 21, 2013 2:16 pm

Post Re: Remotely change shutter/iso w/ D800 intervalometer?
I have the promote control, and while it's not the cheapest option, I really like it.

One option with the promote is to use it as the intervelometer and change the settings. Attach the USB and the shutter cable.

The other option is to just use it to change the settings. Only attach the USB cable.

I do not have one, but apparently the camranger would also do what you want.
http://www.camranger.com/supported-cameras/

I prefer a wired connection, so I like the promote for my needs.

(I attach a 7" Lilliput monitor to my rig to review the histogram and be able to change/adjust the settings as needed.)

Sun Apr 21, 2013 5:28 pm