Timescapes - Digital Timelapse Discussion
http://forum.timescapes.org/phpBB3/

My new Bulb, ISO-Ramper, Bulb HDR and MX2 device BramPi 1-X
http://forum.timescapes.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=10488
Page 1 of 1

Author:  BorisBoesler [ Tue May 14, 2013 10:55 pm ]
Post subject:  My new Bulb, ISO-Ramper, Bulb HDR and MX2 device BramPi 1-X

After having some fun with my Bulb- and ISO-Ramper Brampuino 1-X (and having exactly 1.5 users), I decided to start something new from scratch. The Arduino platform was a nice starting point, but a little bit limiting. The Raspberry Pi should be the next platform for this new device.

First, I wanted to support more camera models and had a look at libgphoto2. Very nice; lots of cameras supported. And it runs on a Raspberry Pi!
Besides standard Bulb- and ISO-Ramping it should support HDR to keep highlights, while shooting from day to night, and it should cooperate with the Dynamic Perception's Dolly Engine MX2 - even while shooting HDR!

BramPi 1-X was born. At least in my mind.

A short list of must have features:
- Shutter-Controller via cable-release "port" and camera's X-Sync (this means extra hardware)
- Bulb-Ramping
- (automatic) ISO-Ramping
- HDR (keeping ISO as low as possible)
- MX2 cooperation

Additional should have features:
- Hardware clock (RPi does not have one)
- time lapse XML protocol file
- disabling camera's X-Sync without a terminator

So, here it is. BramPi 1-X's first demo/test time-lapses:

Bulb- and (automatic) ISO-Ramping (check the overexposed highlights):
[vimeo]http://vimeo.com/65675991[/vimeo]

Bulb- and (automatic) ISO-Raming and Bulb-HDR (check the highlights; the flickering should be fixed now; it was a hardware bug)
[vimeo]http://vimeo.com/66029090[/vimeo]

All the above features + MX2 cooperation while shooting HDR
[vimeo]http://vimeo.com/66105930[/vimeo]

Current state of development: BamPi 1-X is an ugly board, but fully functional. Besides the Shutter-Controller and the real time clock, it has a 20x4 LCD and 6 push buttons for user interaction. But a touch display would be much nicer.

I do have a fritzing and an Eagle schematic. I'm working on the layout and hope to make some boards within 4 weeks.

What do you think? Any features, that I didn't think of?
Boris

Author:  Kmotion [ Tue May 14, 2013 11:06 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: My new Bulb, ISO-Ramper, Bulb HDR and MX2 device BramPi

This looks great, just a few simple questions. Does it have a built in light sensor or how does it know what exposure values to use? Can you pause the auto bulb ramping program to take off an ND filter? Have you checked out other bulb ramp devices, Little Bramper, Promote and Timelapse+ features?

Author:  cronix [ Wed May 15, 2013 1:24 am ]
Post subject:  Re: My new Bulb, ISO-Ramper, Bulb HDR and MX2 device BramPi

Here is my RPI ramper shield. It's almost done and it will be available this summer.
Image

Author:  fabians.ch [ Wed May 15, 2013 1:26 am ]
Post subject:  Re: My new Bulb, ISO-Ramper, Bulb HDR and MX2 device BramPi

This looks awesome! Keep up the fantastic work, looking forward to see more.

Author:  BorisBoesler [ Thu May 16, 2013 7:43 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: My new Bulb, ISO-Ramper, Bulb HDR and MX2 device BramPi

Kmotion wrote:
This looks great, just a few simple questions. Does it have a built in light sensor or how does it know what exposure values to use?

No, it doesn't have a light sensor build in. But your camera has ;-) Then check the histogram to start ramping and to increment or decrement the ramping factor. That's what I did.

Kmotion wrote:
Can you pause the auto bulb ramping program to take off an ND filter?

No, but would be simple to add. But I'm worried that there were some hick-ups in the time-lapse.

Kmotion wrote:
Have you checked out other bulb ramp devices, Little Bramper, Promote and Timelapse+ features?

I don't own or have used any of these devices. Actually, I started my Brampuino 1-X project because the Little Bramper was sold out.
What I have found out (might be incomplete or wrong):
Litte Bramper: oldest devices; does Bulb Ramping only; no ISO Ramping, no HDR, no MX2 cooperation; not available anymore
Timelaspe+: lots of features; but can it be used with the MX2? Canon and Nikon only.
Promote: lots of features; but can it bulb ramp AND interact with the MX2?

Author:  Kmotion [ Thu May 16, 2013 7:59 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: My new Bulb, ISO-Ramper, Bulb HDR and MX2 device BramPi

BorisBoesler wrote:
Kmotion wrote:
This looks great, just a few simple questions. Does it have a built in light sensor or how does it know what exposure values to use?

No, it doesn't have a light sensor build in. But your camera has ;-) Then check the histogram to start ramping and to increment or decrement the ramping factor. That's what I did.

Kmotion wrote:
Can you pause the auto bulb ramping program to take off an ND filter?

No, but would be simple to add. But I'm worried that there were some hick-ups in the time-lapse.

Kmotion wrote:
Have you checked out other bulb ramp devices, Little Bramper, Promote and Timelapse+ features?

Quote:
I don't own or have used any of these devices. Actually, I started my Brampuino 1-X project because the Little Bramper was sold out.
What I have found out (might be incomplete or wrong):
Litte Bramper: oldest devices; does Bulb Ramping only; no ISO Ramping, no HDR, no MX2 cooperation; not available anymore
Timelaspe+: lots of features; but can it be used with the MX2? Canon and Nikon only.
Promote: lots of features; but can it bulb ramp AND interact with the MX2?


Yes, the Little Bramper being sold out was a bummer, especially since that guy took my money but never sent me one and now is completely unavailable (i'm still bitter about this). The Timelapse+ is cool, although it has taken him a long time to get the firmware up to speed. It has a built in light sensor so it independently adjust exposure, so you don't need to babysit your camera's historgram (although you will anyways) hence the idea of Auto bulb ramping. It also allows for Guided Bulb ramping where you adjust according to your Historgram. Some cool features that it has are USB control, ISO ramping, Lightning and Motion Sensor. And YES it works directly with the MX2, it has an 2.5mm AUX port that you can link to one of the MX2's aux ports that is set to take an external signal. Also at $199 it is a good deal. Have you thought of a price point?
I'm not as familar with the Promote because I don't own one, but it does not directly interact with an MX2 from what I understand. Instead you can have a cable go from the PC port of the camera to the MX2 directly and it will trigger a move after it has taken an exposure. So I guess that works. Also keep in mind that the emotimo TB3 now has an I/O port for taking a signal from an external device.
I suggest you pick up one of the competitions devices if you plan on selling your idea, just so you can do what they do, but better.

Author:  macronencer [ Fri May 17, 2013 4:25 am ]
Post subject:  Re: My new Bulb, ISO-Ramper, Bulb HDR and MX2 device BramPi

This is simply amazing work, I'm impressed!

I'm just wondering how bulb HDR is done. My assumption is that HDR requires multiple exposures... wouldn't that make it impossible for long exposure times, due to the difference between subject composition? Pardon me if I've missed something that's been covered elsewhere, I'm new here :)

Author:  Milapse Jay [ Fri May 17, 2013 4:53 am ]
Post subject:  Re: My new Bulb, ISO-Ramper, Bulb HDR and MX2 device BramPi

Kmotion wrote:
Yes, the Little Bramper being sold out was a bummer, especially since that guy took my money but never sent me one and now is completely unavailable (i'm still bitter about this).


Woh woh hold on... that's a pretty heavy hit there, are you claiming he didn't refund your money as well? I know Thomas personally and I cannot imagine he would do something like that. Now I could see him running out of stock and not being able to fulfill an order before he decided to wind down the LB and focus on his personal life but scam and dash.. no I can't see it.

Author:  BorisBoesler [ Fri May 17, 2013 7:14 am ]
Post subject:  Re: My new Bulb, ISO-Ramper, Bulb HDR and MX2 device BramPi

Kmotion wrote:
And YES it works directly with the MX2, it has an 2.5mm AUX port that you can link to one of the MX2's aux ports that is set to take an external signal.

But that means, that it does not monitor the shutter via the X-Sync? I'm not sure, if this monitoring is relevant, but Little Bramper did it. I can disable it in BramPi 1-X in software.

Kmotion wrote:
I'm not as familar with the Promote because I don't own one, but it does not directly interact with an MX2 from what I understand. Instead you can have a cable go from the PC port of the camera to the MX2 directly and it will trigger a move after it has taken an exposure. So I guess that works.

It does not work, if you want to shoot HDR, because it would move the camera between the HDR frames.

Author:  BorisBoesler [ Fri May 17, 2013 7:21 am ]
Post subject:  Re: My new Bulb, ISO-Ramper, Bulb HDR and MX2 device BramPi

macronencer wrote:
This is simply amazing work, I'm impressed!

Thanks. :-)

macronencer wrote:
I'm just wondering how bulb HDR is done. My assumption is that HDR requires multiple exposures... wouldn't that make it impossible for long exposure times, due to the difference between subject composition? Pardon me if I've missed something that's been covered elsewhere, I'm new here :)

HDR does always require multiple exposures, yes. But I don't move the camera during these multiple exposures. MX2 is allowed to move the camera after these multiple exposures.

But it might fail with objects that move to fast, for example clouds that appear on different positions on these different exposures.

Author:  macronencer [ Fri May 17, 2013 7:33 am ]
Post subject:  Re: My new Bulb, ISO-Ramper, Bulb HDR and MX2 device BramPi

BorisBoesler wrote:
macronencer wrote:
I'm just wondering how bulb HDR is done. My assumption is that HDR requires multiple exposures... wouldn't that make it impossible for long exposure times, due to the difference between subject composition? Pardon me if I've missed something that's been covered elsewhere, I'm new here :)

HDR does always require multiple exposures, yes. But I don't move the camera during these multiple exposures. MX2 is allowed to move the camera after these multiple exposures.

But it might fail with objects that move to fast, for example clouds that appear on different positions on these different exposures.


Thank you for the explanation. I understand now, yes! So this technique would be best suited to wide-angle landscapes or sky shots, then, as opposed to, for example, crowds of people.
One day I hope to be making videos with gear like this, but I need to walk before I can run - it's hard enough just getting the exposure right for a static time lapse shot, so I need to get good at that first...

I'll be following your progress with interest though!

Author:  sm105 [ Sun May 19, 2013 4:27 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: My new Bulb, ISO-Ramper, Bulb HDR and MX2 device BramPi

Hi Boris, nice work!

I'm working on an RPi project with similar features, though I've only just started. I'm essentially trying to port Little Bramper functionality over to the Pi and add auto ISO stepping using gphoto2. From there the next step would be to add motor control.

Are you planning to share your design and code? I'm new to this stuff, so it would be very helpful.

Thanks!
Seth

Author:  Kmotion [ Wed May 22, 2013 9:43 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: My new Bulb, ISO-Ramper, Bulb HDR and MX2 device BramPi

Milapse Jay wrote:
Kmotion wrote:
Yes, the Little Bramper being sold out was a bummer, especially since that guy took my money but never sent me one and now is completely unavailable (i'm still bitter about this).


Woh woh hold on... that's a pretty heavy hit there, are you claiming he didn't refund your money as well? I know Thomas personally and I cannot imagine he would do something like that. Now I could see him running out of stock and not being able to fulfill an order before he decided to wind down the LB and focus on his personal life but scam and dash.. no I can't see it.


Yep, it is true. I have a string of emails going back a year to prove it. He promised me one of the last models before he closed up shop. I made the purchase with my credit card, believe it was through paypal, which i have an email for and its on my credit card statement. And then nothing. Nothing ever arrrived. I tried contacting him numerous times with zero response back. Hey if he has a personal issue happening, i'm sorry to hear that, but that does not excuse poor business etiquette. It was for only $90 I believe, anything larger and I would have filed a small claims suit.

Author:  bedanwilles [ Mon Jun 10, 2013 11:55 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: My new Bulb, ISO-Ramper, Bulb HDR and MX2 device BramPi

BorisBoesler wrote:
After having some fun with my Bulb- and ISO-Ramper Brampuino 1-X (and having exactly 1.5 users), I decided to start something new from scratch. The Arduino platform was a nice starting point, but a little bit limiting. The Raspberry Pi should be the next platform for this new device.

First, I wanted to support more camera models and had a look at libgphoto2. Very nice; lots of cameras supported. And it runs on a Raspberry Pi!
Besides standard Bulb- and ISO-Ramping it should support HDR to keep highlights, while shooting from day to night, and it should cooperate with the Dynamic Perception's Dolly Engine MX2 - even while shooting HDR!

BramPi 1-X was born. At least in my mind.

A short list of must have features:
- Shutter-Controller via cable-release "port" and camera's X-Sync (this means extra hardware)
- Bulb-Ramping
- (automatic) ISO-Ramping
- HDR (keeping ISO as low as possible)
- MX2 cooperation

Additional should have features:
- Hardware clock (RPi does not have one)
- time lapse XML protocol file
- disabling camera's X-Sync without a terminator

So, here it is. BramPi 1-X's first demo/test time-lapses:

Bulb- and (automatic) ISO-Ramping (check the overexposed highlights):
[vimeo]http://vimeo.com/65675991[/vimeo]

Bulb- and (automatic) ISO-Raming and Bulb-HDR (check the highlights; the flickering should be fixed now; it was a hardware bug)
[vimeo]http://vimeo.com/66029090[/vimeo]

All the above features + MX2 cooperation while shooting HDR
[vimeo]http://vimeo.com/66105930[/vimeo]

Current state of development: BamPi 1-X is an ugly board, but fully functional. Besides the Shutter-Controller and the real time clock, it has a 20x4 LCD and 6 push buttons for user interaction. But a touch display would be much nicer.

I do have a fritzing and an Eagle schematic. I'm working on the layout and hope to make some boards within 4 weeks.

What do you think? Any features, that I didn't think of?
Boris


This looks great, just a few simple questions. Does it have a built in light sensor?? If yes how does it know what exposure values to use?
And secondly can you pause the auto bulb ramping program to take off an ND filter?

Author:  BorisBoesler [ Tue Jun 11, 2013 8:51 am ]
Post subject:  Re: My new Bulb, ISO-Ramper, Bulb HDR and MX2 device BramPi

bedanwilles wrote:
This looks great,

Thanks.

bedanwilles wrote:
just a few simple questions. Does it have a built in light sensor??

No. I was asked this before and I don't know if a light sensor makes sense. Time lapse photography means to turn off everything that has "Auto" in its name. Well, except your bulb ramping device. You might get problems with clouds or car head lights etc. But there might be cases where a light sensor is handy.

BramPi 1-X has an "expansion port" with power, ground, digital ins and outs and the I2C bus. An additional hardware (and software) would be possible.

bedanwilles wrote:
If yes how does it know what exposure values to use?

If you search for "bulb ramping shutter drone" you will find this: http://dronecolony.com/2009/03/25/light ... ime-lapse/ which mentions the APEX system.

bedanwilles wrote:
And secondly can you pause the auto bulb ramping program to take off an ND filter?

No, because I fear that would cause flicker. You have to take off the filter and press a button while the interval.

Author:  BorisBoesler [ Tue Jun 11, 2013 8:57 am ]
Post subject:  Re: My new Bulb, ISO-Ramper, Bulb HDR and MX2 device BramPi

BorisBoesler wrote:
After having some fun with my Bulb- and ISO-Ramper Brampuino 1-X (and having exactly 1.5 users), I decided to start something new from scratch. The Arduino platform was a nice starting point, but a little bit limiting. The Raspberry Pi should be the next platform for this new device.


And this is what the prototype looks like:

Image

Author:  BorisBoesler [ Wed Jun 12, 2013 10:21 am ]
Post subject:  Re: My new Bulb, ISO-Ramper, Bulb HDR and MX2 device BramPi

BorisBoesler wrote:
BorisBoesler wrote:
After having some fun with my Bulb- and ISO-Ramper Brampuino 1-X (and having exactly 1.5 users), I decided to start something new from scratch. The Arduino platform was a nice starting point, but a little bit limiting. The Raspberry Pi should be the next platform for this new device.


And this is what the prototype looks like:

Image


And a small demo:

Author:  cogumelo [ Wed Jan 13, 2016 1:51 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: My new Bulb, ISO-Ramper, Bulb HDR and MX2 device BramPi

Hi! Very nice device! Any news on that?
Are you selling it?
cheers

Author:  BorisBoesler [ Mon Jan 18, 2016 12:55 am ]
Post subject:  Re: My new Bulb, ISO-Ramper, Bulb HDR and MX2 device BramPi

Sorry, but the project is dead.

Page 1 of 1 All times are UTC - 8 hours
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group
http://www.phpbb.com/