It is currently Sat Aug 08, 2020 9:08 pm

Bulb Ramper help 

Post Bulb Ramper help
Hey guys,

I am looking into purchasing a bulb ramp intervalometer and i am at a loss for which option i should buy. I have searched the form and saw that joelschat is doing a review, but i did not find any results thus far. I am currently interested in the Promote, the timelapse+ and the little bramper. Obviously the price, build quality, and features are different but i was wondering what everyone uses. I have the funds for all three but don't really feel like spending the money for a promote unless they are really that superior. I like the price point of the little bramper, but i am a little concerned about its durability. Finally i feel like i am leaning towards the timelapse+ but i have seen issues with it going green with bulb ramping. Thank you for the help!

Mon Jun 24, 2013 7:15 pm

Post Re: Bulb Ramper help
You did a pretty good research. Now it's up to you to decide what to buy. But keep in mind that the Little Bramper is not for sale anymore, instead you could buy the JSR Intervalometer.

I own the Bramper and the TL+. For now I'm only using the Bramper because the TL+ still needs a few features to be as good as the Bramper (full manual and ND filter support).

Mon Jun 24, 2013 8:12 pm

leandroprz thank you for comment. I emailed the owner of JSR intervalometer and he is no longer making his product anymore. I guess the only two products still in production are the promote and the timelapse+. Does anyone know anything about the promote controller or more specifically the pros and cons between the promote and the timelapse+. It seems unrealistic at this point that i will be getting my hands on a little bramper seeing as many people are already looking on this forum.

Thu Jun 27, 2013 1:21 pm

There are at least three other rampers under development that I know of. But I don't know the exact status of some of these projects. I guess we will know more about these solutions within a few months?

Thu Jun 27, 2013 11:43 pm

I'm nearly ready to start posting results but I got to try the timelapse+ for the second time last night and I do like it however as of right now there is no ND filter support. Elijah told me that is coming very soon so maybe thats worth a quick email to him but so far my thoughts on the comparison between the two:

The Promote is more specific and you can choose your exact exposure before and after and get to choose the timing. It has live modifications built in but they only do so much if you have messed up your exposure or timing.

I have only done a quick shot on the fully auto mode of the bulb ramp with the timelapse+ but so far it looks pretty awesome. there is more flicker from the timelapse+ than the promote but nothing that isn't fixable as well as I just checked the menu and their is a manually guided option so i'll test that out tonight if the weather holds up.

The biggest thing right now is ND filters though. If you use them I would either wait to see if the timelapse+ will support them or go for the promote for the extra $$

I have also recently acquired (thanks to the timescapes forum!) a Little bramper in a custom case and I love it! If you can find one go for it although they are way more hands on than either of these brampers.

Fri Jun 28, 2013 9:47 am

The way I see it, the guided option on the TL+ is actually a semi-manual feature.

Fri Jun 28, 2013 1:52 pm

joelschat thank you very much for providing a in-depth break down for me! it really helped a lot. When you say the little bramper is more 'hands on' do you mean from the assembly or operation standpoint. It seems as if they are very fragile, and not very user friendly. is that the case?

Now with the comparison between the promote and the timelapse+

excluding the ND filter support, which is a factor for me. it seems like, from your description, that the timelapse+ is a little easier to operate and does a little more of the work for you? is that the case? could you possibly compare and contrast the two from an ease of use standpoint. I am leaning more towards the promote as of now because it seems like i have a larger range of control, and a more solid product at the moment. That said, there are a lot of attractive features about the timelapse+ from their website. do you ever use the bluetooth feature? also how would you compare the update support between the two companies?

Thank you so much to all for answering my questions

Sun Jun 30, 2013 1:37 pm

Ya the Little Bramper is the device that takes the most constant attention second to manually changing the settings yourself. That as well as if you get one that hasn't been fitted to an enclosure I have heard it can be kind of sketchy.

Haven't used the bluetooth feature yet. both have easy updates as far as I am concerned.
Basically your exactly right. The Timelapse+ does all the work for you. You can simply press start for auto bulb ramping and it will do everything for you as long as you choose your starting shutter speed whereas the promote you have to choose your starting, ending shutter speeds as well as when it will start bramping and when it will end bramping. This can be good in predictable situations however if there are clouds on the horizon or for example the sunsets than the moon rises an hour after it gets dark you would have to stop and restart a new bramping sequence with the promote whereas the timelapse+ would just follow it up and down as it is auto I believe. Haven't tested that though..

They are put together quite well and both have similar UI. Depends on your style but either way they are both good.

Sun Jun 30, 2013 2:36 pm