It is currently Thu Jan 23, 2020 7:31 am

Advanced Intervalometer Suggestions 

Post Advanced Intervalometer Suggestions
Does anybody have any recommendations/experience with a intervalometer that allows interval times shorter than 1 second? I'm looking to be able to do a time lapse at about 4 fps.

Thanks for your help!

Thu Sep 05, 2013 6:04 pm

Post Re: Advanced Intervalometer Suggestions
Does your camera handle that speed? You may run into buffer problems. Could you use a laptop / software to shoot that fast?

https://www.facebook.com/KarlMullerPhotography

Thu Sep 05, 2013 6:18 pm

The intervalometer is one thing - but are you really sure your camera can shoot & record 4 fps continuously - beyond it's "burst-mode" buffer? Unlikely with RAW, maybe JPEG on some cameras?

Thu Sep 05, 2013 6:18 pm

It would not be hard to build an intervalometer based around a 555 chip or even an Arduino. The real question is, can the camera keep up?
Remember, that a lot happens in the camera between exposures. Camera continuous might cheat a few corners that single shot wouldn't.
My Nikons allow me to select a maximum framing rate when using continuous low setting. Maybe that is all you really need?

Thu Sep 05, 2013 7:12 pm

The buffer is my main problem at the moment, but my 60D is nearing the end of its life and I'm looking towards a camera that might be able to handle it. At the moment its about compromise, just testing with my finger I can get 44 frames of Sraw and 108 frames of JPEG. Obviously the 1DX or Nikons D4 could sit quite comfortably and rattle off 4fps for a decent amount of time, but they are a little out of budget. I would be curious to see how long the 7D can last.

Anyway the reason I asked about the intervalometer is because my third party one has decided to not work and I'm looking to replace it with something a bit more advanced and that could allow faster interval times for me when I upgrade my DSLR. A computer could be an option for this specific task, but I wouldn't know where to start with creating software like that, unless its already out there?

Thu Sep 05, 2013 7:13 pm

RogerBotting wrote:
It would not be hard to build an intervalometer based around a 555 chip or even an Arduino. The real question is, can the camera keep up?
Remember, that a lot happens in the camera between exposures. Camera continuous might cheat a few corners that single shot wouldn't.
My Nikons allow me to select a maximum framing rate when using continuous low setting. Maybe that is all you really need?

Thanks for that Roger, although the building of an intervalometer is probably way over my head.

I'm curious about the Nikon set up, I've only bought Canon for the past 5 years so my knowledge on Nikons isn't great. So are you able to set how many fps you want and then hold down the shutter till the buffer is full?

Thu Sep 05, 2013 7:21 pm

Yep - quick & dirty way to get the fastest interval times is to put your camera in continuous shooting mode, lock down a remote shutter release button, and let the camera fire away as fast as it can. Use the fastest memory card you have.

A lot of Canons have both high-speed and "normal" continuous shooting modes. The latter limits the frame rate to 3 fps max on my 7D, I think.

Thu Sep 05, 2013 7:42 pm

jimre-temp wrote:
Yep - quick & dirty way to get the fastest interval times is to put your camera in continuous shooting mode, lock down a remote shutter release button, and let the camera fire away as fast as it can. Use the fastest memory card you have.

A lot of Canons have both high-speed and "normal" continuous shooting modes. The latter limits the frame rate to 3 fps max on my 7D, I think.

Ah yes of course, I just tried the low speed continuous and got pretty similar results as before. I did wonder if a faster card would relieve some of the pressure from the buffer and give me more shots, although there has to be a limit to the buffer write speed. I'm using a Sandisk that claims 45 mb/s and I couldn't imagine the 60D could write much faster than that. The 7D would obviously be a different story.

Thu Sep 05, 2013 7:58 pm

For the record, this technique of locking down a remote to make the camera shoot at its fastest speed continuously, does not work well for Nikon.
They stop after shooting 100 continuous frames, then you need to release and re-lock the remote.
(Though if you are a NPS member or have contacts within Nikon they can provide you with firmware to remove that limit.... but why don't they just provide everyone with that option..)

Sat Sep 14, 2013 12:15 pm

The best way I have found to do this is with the little bramper. I can shoot on the 5d2 (with a fast shutter speed) every .45 seconds and .65 on my 6d (with fastest possible cards)

But good luck finding one!

Sun Sep 15, 2013 9:10 am

The MX2 and the MX3.. The MX2 is about to be discontinued but the MX3 will be shipping around the 23rd:

www.dynamicperception.com/docs/mx3

Both can do .1 sec intervals (or be set with .1 sec accuracy)

Sun Sep 15, 2013 4:38 pm

If you are looking at more expensive intervalometers, the Promote Controller can also set intervals in 1/10 sec increments (and do many other things, of course). With my Promote, the shortest interval I've been able to sustain - 300 shot test, full RAW, with no buffer skips or glitches - is a 0.2 sec interval. This was using a 5d Mark 3 with a Lexar Pro 1000x UDMA-7 CF card, shot at 1/50 shutter speed.

Mon Sep 16, 2013 2:19 pm

The Timelapse+ also does what you need.

Mon Sep 16, 2013 3:23 pm

Thanks for all your answer guys.

15397 - I had heard about this cut off, it does seem kind of weird. You would have to time pressing the remote exactly, otherwise you'd screw up the whole time lapse.

joelschat - Little Bramper would of being perfect! Should of grabbed one when I could.

Jay - Thanks for that, I wasn't too sure on the limitation of your controllers. You are now convincing me to just invest in a stage zero bundle.

jimre-temp and leandroprz - thanks for these suggestions these were exactly the sort of products I was looking for. jimre thanks for sharing that info, I'm really surprised you were able to get a continuous 300 shots out, that makes me optimistic about what I want to do!

Hmmm.... decision time.

Tue Sep 24, 2013 1:31 am

jaredcgray wrote:
jimre thanks for sharing that info, I'm really surprised you were able to get a continuous 300 shots out, that makes me optimistic about what I want to do!
I was a bit surprised, too. I was expecting more like .4 or .5 minimum interval. I don't think the Promote had much to do with it - other than 1/10th of a second interval resolution. Mostly it's the speed of the 5D3 and a really fast CF card.

Tue Sep 24, 2013 5:52 am