It is currently Sat Aug 08, 2020 9:41 pm

Satechi Intervolameter Malfunction?? 

Post Satechi Intervolameter Malfunction??
Hi all -- brand new to this forum, very new to timelapse, and excited about this resource.

I've been doing night photography for a while and some time back purchased a Satechi intervolameter. I shoot with Canon and as Canon guys probably know, their IV is limited to 99 shots (I think that's the number). It's also spendy. The Satechi has great reviews and it's hard to beat the price.

To date, it has worked flawlessly. I've been very pleased. BUT...last night I did a shoot and ran into something odd. I set up to shoot infinite frames at 34s exposures and 35s intervals. It was late when I started, so I left the rig to do its thing right away and caught a couple hours of sleep. This morning I threw in a fresh battery and realized that pretty much from shot #1, things were awry.

First exposure was 209s. Second exposure was 34s. Then 244s. Then 34, 33, 208, 34, 630, 33, 34, 34, 33, 9192 (yes, 9,192 seconds, or 153 minutes!!!)...you get the picture.

I'm pissed that my sensor burned for 2.5 hours---not cool---and very curious as to how all of this happened. My only thought is perhaps the control unit was too far from the camera (it's wireless), but to my recollection, it was no farther than any other shoot I've done with it. I should also mention that the batteries were fresh.

Has anyone ever experienced anything like this with a Satechi or any other brand IV?

Any thoughts on what may have caused this?

Thanks in advance!

Wesley Picotte
http://www.wesleypicotte.com

Fri Oct 25, 2013 4:21 pm

Post Re: Satechi Intervolameter Malfunction??
Have you tried again since? Same results or expected results or something else?

A one off failure is not proof of a failure of the timer, do remember that it is an electronic device and might need to be rebooted, have a fresh battery put in, etc.

And are absolutely sure that you set it up properly in the first place? the timer and the camera?

So, try again, at home where you can watch it. See what the results are. Go from there.

Sat Oct 26, 2013 5:29 pm

You've basically set a 1-second interval between frames (34s exposure, 35s interval). Could be that's not enough time. Your camera could be "busy" processing/saving and miss some subsequent start/stop signals.

Try 36s or 37s (2-3 seconds between frames) for the interval instead & see if that works.

Sat Oct 26, 2013 8:39 pm

Thanks, yes, had that thought, too. It's a 5DII body so the processing time is decent, and I use ExtremePro CF cards, which have very good write times. There wasn't a ton of data per shot, given that they're night shots, but naturally the noise reduction was running.

All this said, it doesn't explain why my shutter was open for 2.5 hours, during which the intervalometer would have sent dozens of signals.

I've since tested my camera (inside in a warm room, not out-of-doors on a cold night, humid night) and have not seen any replication of the errant behavior.

Mon Oct 28, 2013 9:15 am

RogerBotting wrote:
Have you tried again since? Same results or expected results or something else?

A one off failure is not proof of a failure of the timer, do remember that it is an electronic device and might need to be rebooted, have a fresh battery put in, etc.

And are absolutely sure that you set it up properly in the first place? the timer and the camera?

So, try again, at home where you can watch it. See what the results are. Go from there.

Somehow missed this response earlier.

Totally agree, it could be something else that caused the failure. As mentioned in my initial post, the intervalometer battery was brand new out of the package. It was a chilly night, frost on the ground in the AM, surface ice in standing water, that sort of thing. The IV battery indicator was on when I returned to the camera (it comes on once the battery hits about 60%, I think).

I also had two fresh batteries in the camera. Both tested at 100% capacity when I put them in. They were drained in the morning, which is what I anticipated.

I do not think this malfunction was a battery issue. I cannot see how this, or set-up (which I am confident about) would explain the sequence that occurred, in which I had frames at the intended length, a few that were a second off, and others that were total outliers.

I did exactly as you suggest when I returned home. I tested the camera / IV at a rapid interval, as well as a longer one that would kick on the noise reduction. This was of course performed in the warmth of my office, not in the field, but I encountered no issues.

Thanks,
Wesley

Mon Oct 28, 2013 1:00 pm

Doesn't the Satechi go up to 399 shots?

I have the wireless one as well but I never use it wirelessly :)

I have that and the no-name ebay wired versions. I use both wired, but have only used them to trigger exposures (no bulb mode).

I did try using the wireless module a few times and it worked (didn't test intervalometer function) but the shutter button never seemed to be consistent so I just wired it up instead.

Mon Oct 28, 2013 1:16 pm

scotchtape wrote:
Doesn't the Satechi go up to 399 shots?

I have the wireless one as well but I never use it wirelessly :)

I have that and the no-name ebay wired versions. I use both wired, but have only used them to trigger exposures (no bulb mode).

I did try using the wireless module a few times and it worked (didn't test intervalometer function) but the shutter button never seemed to be consistent so I just wired it up instead.

I think that's right -- 399. But you can set it to "infinity" by setting the number of exposures to "--"

Is using the Satechi wireless version in a wired configuration an option that I forgot about? Maybe it is and I just need to find the cord. I see the socket in the top of the unit...

Mon Oct 28, 2013 2:24 pm

wpicotte wrote:
I think that's right -- 399. But you can set it to "infinity" by setting the number of exposures to "--"

Is using the Satechi wireless version in a wired configuration an option that I forgot about? Maybe it is and I just need to find the cord. I see the socket in the top of the unit...

Yep, I always set mine to infinity.
The cord does NOT come with it, at least I'm pretty sure it doesn't.

I have a bunch of extra ones lying around, got them on eBay for around $10 a piece.
This way you can use the same intervalometer for different types of cameras, just get a different cable.

The ones you can get on eBay are coiled and I have found this annoying because there doesn't seem to be options for longer lengths of cables.
Although, I could just use a 2.5mm extension cable too...

I also don't really know where to hang it so I just it hand it off of my ballhead.

// just checked, now I see some for $5, dangit!

search for canon c3 cord... or whatever connector your camera uses.

Mon Oct 28, 2013 2:52 pm

scotchtape wrote:
wpicotte wrote:
I have a bunch of extra ones lying around, got them on eBay for around $10 a piece.
This way you can use the same intervalometer for different types of cameras, just get a different cable.

search for canon c3 cord... or whatever connector your camera uses.

Thanks for the tip. Buying one as I write this.

Mon Oct 28, 2013 3:11 pm