It is currently Thu Dec 05, 2019 6:52 am

Is possible to use Little Bramper for bulb ramping only 

Post Is possible to use Little Bramper for bulb ramping only
I have received an Astro timelapse unit that rotates by step intervals and then triggers the camera when stable. I want to combine this with the Little Bramper to adjust the exposure. Unfortunately if I just let the Astro control the rotation and the Bramper does the triggering the longer exposure shots catch the move and are "smeared".

So I want to connect the Astro to the N3 socket on my MKII and the Bramper into the PC socket so the Bramper is only adjusting the bulb time. Unfortunately this doesn't seem to work and the shutter rate doesn't change on the camera, even thought the Little Bramper is showing the change.

I am sure other systems are similar such as a tracking rig so does anyone know a way of getting this to work.

Thanks

http://www.vimeo.com/pukkatv
Twitter: @Pukkatweet

Mon Aug 25, 2014 12:35 am

Post Re: Is possible to use Little Bramper for bulb ramping only
Does the device have some sort of AUX port? We use the MX3's AUX input to coordinate with ramping devices.. It's relitively simple, you can connect the PC port on the camera to the AUX port and set the controller to follow the camera's shutter.. The MX3 senses when the shutter closes and then moves to the next position..

Mon Aug 25, 2014 8:44 am

AFAIK, neither the Astro nor the Little Bramper have any sort of "external trigger input" capability. Each device expects to be the "master" device doing the triggering - which would rule out any easy way to combine them.

Astro has a camera shutter output jack, and a "smartphone programming" input jack (which appears to be some type of analog data transfer using the phone's headphone jack).
EDIT: looks like these are the same jack. You disconnect the smartphone after downloading the program, then connect the camera shutter cable to take pictures.

Mon Aug 25, 2014 1:34 pm

Yes I can't see a hardware solution to this. I was hoping that the Little Bramper could ignore the fact it is not triggering the camera and just adjust the shutter speed.

Tue Aug 26, 2014 2:02 pm

Pukkascott wrote:
Yes I can't see a hardware solution to this. I was hoping that the Little Bramper could ignore the fact it is not triggering the camera and just adjust the shutter speed.

If the Bramper is not triggering the camera, then it is not adjusting the shutter speed. It does so with the camera in Bulb mode by holding the camera shutter open for a precise time interval.

The flash sync cable is used only for monitoring, telling the Bramper precisely when the shutter opens & closes, so it can be more accurate.

Tue Aug 26, 2014 7:34 pm

Thanks for that. Fortunately the timers are both fairly accurate so if they are both set to 5 second intervals (for example) once they are timed to offset the move from the Astro and the trigger from the Bramper, they stay in sync.

Wed Aug 27, 2014 4:22 am