It is currently Sun Dec 15, 2019 9:58 am

Do you know of any intervalometers which can do this? 

Post Do you know of any intervalometers which can do this?
I shoot stormy weather. Generally, things move fast and light conditions can go from sunny to very dark in a matter of minutes. Currently, I deal with this by using a fixed aperture and manually adjusting my shutter speed by 1/3rd stop increments and then fixing the jumps in post.

My life would be easier if I had an intervalometer that worked on this formula, WITHOUT being in bulb mode:

Shutter speed (variable) + write time (fixed) = interval.

That way, I could set my write time to 2 seconds and then slowly adjust my shutter speed from, say, 1/125th to 1 second or more without a collision.

If anyone has any info about such a device, I'd love to hear about it.

JB

Tue Nov 25, 2014 3:29 pm

Post Re: Do you know of any intervalometers which can do this?
Ramperpro is designed to follow the changing light from daytime to nighttime automatically. It has an optional light sensor for more accurate tracking of light changes. You could contact Andre at Elysiavisuals to ask if it can do this kind of shot. The Ramperpro has some adjustments that let you change how fast it responds to changing light and if it changes one way or can change back and forth to light that changes up, down, up, down. These normally prevent it from adjusting too fast to changes not caused by the sunset (like a passing cloud), but I think they can be turned off to let it follow the light quickly and both directions to do the kind of shot you are describing.

Wed Nov 26, 2014 4:43 am

I looked at that and other auto-ramping tools and, basically, I don't trust them. One anomalous exposure can ruin the whole sequence. Plus, I like to pick out what's most important in my exposure. For example, do I need to let the highlights blow out in order to get the texture under a very dark cloud base?

I have a Little Bramper and it's possible to adjust the ramp speed on the fly with it, but it also requires bulb mode with a fastest shutter speed of 1/20th or so. To slow for me. :(

Thanks for the suggestion, I'm gonna keep looking. Maybe I'll be able to convince one of the coders on the MagicLantern forum to implement my formula into ML.

sciencelookers wrote:
Ramperpro is designed to follow the changing light from daytime to nighttime automatically. It has an optional light sensor for more accurate tracking of light changes. You could contact Andre at Elysiavisuals to ask if it can do this kind of shot. The Ramperpro has some adjustments that let you change how fast it responds to changing light and if it changes one way or can change back and forth to light that changes up, down, up, down. These normally prevent it from adjusting too fast to changes not caused by the sunset (like a passing cloud), but I think they can be turned off to let it follow the light quickly and both directions to do the kind of shot you are describing.

Wed Nov 26, 2014 10:43 am

Its a nice plan. Shooting the fastest framerate allowable with the given light. I try to do the same when shooting turtles at night. I want to shoot as often as possible to keep the motion fluid, so when a cloud comes by, I have to adjust the shutterspeed and the interval. You're right, its a pain doing it manually all the time. Would be nice to have one big knob labelled <brighter - darker>

Wed Nov 26, 2014 3:51 pm

Lol, yeah, a big knob would be perfect. :)

It looks like the RamperPro has dynamic intervals based on shutter speed:

"Different time lapse engines
You choose two different time lapse engines. The basic engine is a standard intervalometer, the advanced engine gives you exposure ramping. Both engines offer interval ramping. That means that you can make the interval shorter or longer during a number of shots. Interval ramping is triggered by a key frame in basic mode and by an exposure speed in ramping mode."

It's a pricey solution, though. I'm going to connect with the developer and see if this is the right solution.

http://www.elysiavisuals.com/content/elysiavisuals-ramper-pro-3d-ramper-usb-timelapse-controller

sciencelookers wrote:
Its a nice plan. Shooting the fastest framerate allowable with the given light. I try to do the same when shooting turtles at night. I want to shoot as often as possible to keep the motion fluid, so when a cloud comes by, I have to adjust the shutterspeed and the interval. You're right, its a pain doing it manually all the time. Would be nice to have one big knob labelled <brighter - darker>

Fri Nov 28, 2014 9:32 am

You can force the RamperPro to do what you are asking. This is especially true on a Canon. Just set the interval to be very, very short and you get what you are asking. That is because the RamperPro will wait for a Canon camera to write the file to the memory card. The reason for this is that Canons start to behave very strange when I am too early with sending new USB commands (shutter speed or ISO) while they are writing a file. So This formula is there out-of-the-box. I am sure that I can add this for Nikon if needed.

Another great thing that the RamperPro can do is track light. It can keep the histogram to the right during day light shoots. That way you can have a perfect exposure even when ambient light conditions change. But this is only possible when you enable the histogram analysis mode of the RamperPro; this adds a few seconds to your interval of course. The main reason here is that cameras tend to be slow with writing the image to their memory card and I have to wait until that moment before the RamperPro can download the file and extract the histogram (that part is very fast actually).

There is also an exposure override wizard in the RamperPro. You can set the amount of stops (+/-) that you want to correct and the number of images that the RamperPro can take to do this compensation. So you can change your exposure for example to change 1.5 stops in 15 images.

The end result is always flicker free because the RamperPro creates highly accurate XMP files that hold the exact correction that Lightroom needs to compensate your images.

Sat Nov 29, 2014 12:40 pm

Firstly, thank you for the response, Cronix, and the quick reply via e-mail as well. I'm going to ask my questions here so that others interested in this topic can follow along.

Magic Lantern has a similar feature when "forced" and will not fire the camera until the current image has been fully written to the card, apparently it will do this until the card is full. Unfortunately, it fires the camera immediately after the image is written to the card and NO time is allowed for image/histogram review. All I need is a 1/4 to 1/2 second, one can judge a histogram very quickly. But, I MUST have that histogram.

If I force the RamperPro to behave similarly, will I see the histogram?

I shoot Canon this year btw, always subject to change. :)

Thanks,

Jim

cronix wrote:
You can force the RamperPro to do what you are asking. This is especially true on a Canon. Just set the interval to be very, very short and you get what you are asking. That is because the RamperPro will wait for a Canon camera to write the file to the memory card. The reason for this is that Canons start to behave very strange when I am too early with sending new USB commands (shutter speed or ISO) while they are writing a file. So This formula is there out-of-the-box. I am sure that I can add this for Nikon if needed.

Another great thing that the RamperPro can do is track light. It can keep the histogram to the right during day light shoots. That way you can have a perfect exposure even when ambient light conditions change. But this is only possible when you enable the histogram analysis mode of the RamperPro; this adds a few seconds to your interval of course. The main reason here is that cameras tend to be slow with writing the image to their memory card and I have to wait until that moment before the RamperPro can download the file and extract the histogram (that part is very fast actually).

There is also an exposure override wizard in the RamperPro. You can set the amount of stops (+/-) that you want to correct and the number of images that the RamperPro can take to do this compensation. So you can change your exposure for example to change 1.5 stops in 15 images.

The end result is always flicker free because the RamperPro creates highly accurate XMP files that hold the exact correction that Lightroom needs to compensate your images.

Sun Nov 30, 2014 8:55 am

Ok, here is what I've decided to do, for now. Hopefully, this works.

Under the assumption that MagicLantern (with the new advanced intervalometer active) will not fire shot #2 until shot #1 has fully written to the card (I'm almost 100% certain it works this way), I'm going to use that to my advantage even though I won't be able to see the histogram, since shot #2 fires immediately after shot #1 has finished writing and there is no time for the camera to show the processed jpeg. BUT, ML will "roll" with exposure changes, and not clog the buffer even if you move from 1/500th to 10 seconds, it just shoots the next shot when the former shot is finished writing to the card.

I'm going to use DSLR Controller to monitor my shots on my android tablet. Shooting raw and tiny jpegs, I'll have the jpegs sent to the tablet and that should keep me within a shot or two of current exposure and I'll be able to adjust exposure/ISO from the tablet as needed. Plus, with a portable modem, I'll be able to sit in the car instead of being out in the lightning. That's good because lightning is scary.

When I was testing the new, improved intervalometer the other night, there was only a split second after the shutter closed and the next shot began that I was able to adjust the camera settings. I'm hoping that DSLR Controller will have a "wait" function and will hold a command until the camera can accept it, but I'm not sure on this. Could be a deal killer. Stay tuned.

If you are interested in DSLR Controller, go here:

http://dslrcontroller.com

Mon Dec 01, 2014 10:58 am