It is currently Fri Apr 16, 2021 4:04 pm

Little Bramper that couldn't. 

Post Little Bramper that couldn't.
Hello guys,

I've just recently received my Little Bramper. Having eagerly waited for this device I plugged it into my Canon EOS 5D Mk1 camera. When I started bramping, the red light flashes, the interval time starts counting down, then the green light comes on then it just stays on. My camera shutter stays open as well. I tried pressing the pause button (asterisk key) but it does not respond. Desperate, I pressed the reset button. That shuts everything down, the green light turns off, the camera shutter closes. Here's my menu input: Interval - 3000ms, Bulb - 34ms, Buffer - 2000ms, Frames - 950, X-time - 033ms (not sure if this is the right time for my camera), Bulb - Stepping - 1000ms. I've checked all the wires are properly plugged in. My camera is in Bulb setting and first curtain sync.

I unplugged everything and replugging it several times but to no avail. Tried it again this morning, this time the green light just stays on but the camera shutter doesn't open. It seems my camera is not responding to Little Bramper's command. If anyone has a similar camera and experienced this problem please I need your help. Thank you.

Cheers,
Edmond.

Fri Jan 14, 2011 9:16 am

Post Re: Little Bramper that couldn't.
If the shutter opens but never shuts, then it's because Little Bramper hasn't received the 'shutter has opened' signal from the camera. This is what the PC cable is for. Either the cable/jack/plug is faulty or something weird is up with the camera.

I think a good first test is to put your camera in Manual mode, any exposure is fine, and plug the `terminator plug' (the thing on the lanyard) into Bramper's SHUTTER jack. The Bramper will now simply fire the camera like a conventional intervalometer. Does this work? The terminator plug simply fools bramper by sending the signal 'the shutter has opened, you may proceed'. If the camera fires but still hangs, then there's something wrong at the bramper end, or there's something weird about the 5D Mark I (one).

Fri Jan 14, 2011 9:25 am

Hi Tom,

Just tried plugging the terminator plug into the bramper as you suggested. Yes the Bramper does work like a normal intervalometer now. The camera shutter opens and closes at the specified interval. Does this mean there's something wrong with the PC connector end of my camera?

Edmond.

Fri Jan 14, 2011 10:05 am

Okay, so it looks as though things are okay at the bramper end. Either the short PC cable is broken or your camera's PC jack is not working as desired.

During quality control I squeeze the PC plug end so that it makes a solid connection. PC connectors (at least the type used on Canons) are notoriously bad connectors. Do you have a way of checking that the PC cable is not broken internally, i.e. do you have a multimeter? Or maybe a PocketWizard or strobe that can be fired using this cable.

And thanks for mentioning 1st curtain sync. That needs to go in the manual. Apparently it's not something you can set on the latest bodies, like the 5DII - i think you have to have a speedlite attached.

Fri Jan 14, 2011 10:27 am

Hi Tom,

I'll try testing the PC cable. Unfortunately I don't have a multimeter or Pocket Wizard. I'll just take it to a camera store and have them test it there. Thank you for your help. Keep you posted.

Edmond.

Fri Jan 14, 2011 11:20 am

Zeiss21_EVC wrote:
Unfortunately I don't have a multimeter.

I highly recommend you get yourself a cheapo multimeter in the $10.00 range. Very useful to check your batteries and continuity of cables. Well worth the $10.00.

Fri Jan 14, 2011 3:03 pm

Same thing happened to me. The Blue extension cable was bad after one TL. Good thing I have 2 :)

Mon Jan 17, 2011 8:08 pm

Hello again guys,

That's encouraging Zigmo. Maybe there's hope for me yet. I wonder if the connection between the PC plug and socket is the culprit. When I plug the PC cable (the black cable) to the camera, the connection seems loose. It moves around pretty freely, you can turn it around in its socket without any resistance. Should it snap into place or somethin? Anyway, all will be resolve during my day off this coming Thursday and Friday when I can take it to a camera shop to have the cable tested.

Cheers,
Edmond.

Tue Jan 18, 2011 4:13 am

Try squeezing the male PC connector. It won't click or anything like that. I've seen some good PC connector designs - screw-on and bayonet types - but Canons won't mate with them. If the PC socket on your camera is broken, you can turn your hotshoe into a PC outlet using a hotshoe-to-PC adapter. If necessary, perhaps the camera shop would allow you to try one.

As for the blue extension cable, that was actually their High Quality version. The nice thing about them is that they mate perfectly with the short Canon N3 cable. May look into getting brand-name connectors.

Tue Jan 18, 2011 7:43 am

astronomerroyal wrote:
And thanks for mentioning 1st curtain sync. That needs to go in the manual. Apparently it's not something you can set on the latest bodies, like the 5DII - i think you have to have a speedlite attached.

Are you able to briefly explain the concept of first curtain sync and its relationship to the workings of L'Bramper?
(I didn't dabble too much with strobe/flash photography so I'm a little vague in that area. :oops: )

The Manual is a great read - there maybe also a place for 'trouble-shooting' in Chapter 13 'Tips, Examples and data' :)

Tue Jan 18, 2011 2:38 pm

matt b wrote:
Are you able to briefly explain the concept of first curtain sync and its relationship to the workings of L'Bramper?

1. Bramper signals a new exposure
2. Curtain A opens starting the exposure. If "First Curtain" is selected then the PC connection sends back a signal telling the Bramper that the exposure indeed started.
3. Bramper begins Bulb timer countdown if signal is received from step 2.
4. Bramper ends the exposure trigger after Bulb time has been fulfilled.
5. Curtain B closes the frame, ending the exposure. If Second Curtain is selected then step 3 never happens and I would guess the Bramper will hold the exposure open indefinitely.

Please correct me if I am wrong. Purely an educated guess.

Tue Jan 18, 2011 5:55 pm

Zigmo wrote:
matt b wrote:
Please correct me if I am wrong. Purely an educated guess.

That explanation is correct. Another perspective;

In order to time an exposure precisely you have to know two things

1) when the exposure starts, and
2) when the exposure ends.

While that sounds incredibly obvious, actually determining these two events is not as simple as it sounds. The primary reason for using the PC socket (or hotshoe) is to detect stage 1: the moment the shutter completely opens. By shutter I technically mean `1st curtain of the shutter'. It's precisely the same signal that fires a flash/strobe - if the flash fired any earlier the film would still be partially obscured by the rising shutter curtain.

2nd curtain sync sends the flash signal just before the shutter closes. In this case I mean `2st curtain of the shutter'. To do this it clearly must know when the shutter is going to close, which is not possible in Bulb mode. So the issue is probably moot... the camera will presumably default to 1st curtain sync in Bulb mode... I just tested it with a 350D and that seems to be the case.

Tue Jan 18, 2011 9:35 pm

Hello again Tom,

Halleluja! It's alive! It's alive! I've figured it out. Two things. First, the bloody stupid camera custom function. Specifically cust. func. 07. Enable flash to fire or does not fire. Guess what setting it was before? Lol. I just switched to flash to fire, and the other is the position of the male PC plug. If I insert it in the same position as the N3 plug with the cord facing the front of the camera everything then works perfectly. Thanks for all your help Tom.

Cheers,
Edmond.

Thu Jan 20, 2011 7:32 pm

Quote:
If I insert it in the same position as the N3 plug with the cord facing the front of the camera everything then works perfectly. Thanks for all your help Tom.

Is there are a logical reason why that would consistently make a difference? If so it would be good to know. My LB also occasionally gets stuck in open, presumably for the same reason.

Thu Aug 18, 2011 4:49 am