It is currently Fri Apr 16, 2021 4:01 pm

Good Case for "Attached" Camera Accessories 

Post Good Case for "Attached" Camera Accessories
So in my head-first dive into the world of time lapse, I have built an external power source (like this viewtopic.php?f=12&t=2546 ) and ordered the Little Bramper, eagerly awaiting its arrival. With so many wired "things" hanging off my camera, I was thinking it might be a good idea to get a case to hold and protect all of it.

The issue here is that I would like this case mainly for protection during shoots, and since the wires have to run from the camera to their respective device, I'm worried I won't be able to close a regular case all the way and my gizmos will be exposed to the elements. Does anyone know of a case that has small, rubberized ports for wires to run out of while still keeping the case water resistant? Pelican cases look great, but I don't know of any that have this feature.

Any product recommendations or other ideas are greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Sun Feb 27, 2011 5:40 pm

Post Re: Good Case for "Attached" Camera Accessories
I don't know how big your accessories are, but you might take a look at Lock & Lock food storage containers. They have a latch on all four sides, and are air tight and water proof with a gasket that seals the lid. I live at the beach and I use them for a lot of fishing stuff that stays in my Jeep. I haven't bought any in a while because I stocked up when I first found them, but they used to have them at Walmart. Found a picture of some here:

http://www.organize.com/15pclocknlock.html

Only thing I'd worry about with air tight is heat, you need to make sure you don't melt any gear.

Sun Feb 27, 2011 6:33 pm

Sorry if I wasn't clear in my first post. My two accessories are the Little Bramper and a camcorder battery with Lenmar plate adapter fixed to it. And those look great, except I don't think I would be able to have wires coming out without compromising the seal. If there was a way to drill a hole and create a port of some sort that still kept it reasonably water resistant, that would work! Any recommendations on that?

Sun Feb 27, 2011 7:56 pm

You definitely don't want to run the wires out of the top of the box, that will leak for sure. There are lots of waterproof connectors, for different applications. So you could put a connector on the side of the box and run the cables thru the connector. Something like this, for example:

http://tinyurl.com/6bcppt8

The way I would do it would be to consolidate the cables into a "bundle". Say for instance you have three cables coming off your accessories to the camera with two conductors in each cable; you'd need at least a six pin connector. Connector goes in a hole in the plastic box, with wiring off the back of it going to accessories in the box, then your cable "bundle" (outside the box) all connects to a mating connector, which plugs into camera on one end and the box on the other.

It would require some soldering but that would be the most weatherproof way of doing it I think.

If you don't want to solder and you have an extra set of cables that want to dedicate to the box, you could simply drill a hole in the side of the box, just big enough for the cables, run them through and use silicone caulk on either side of the hole.

If you are close to a boat store, like West Marine, that would be a great place to look for waterproof connector ideas or waterproof enclosures.

Sun Feb 27, 2011 9:49 pm

Very interesting idea. The connector may be a bit overkill, but it most certainly would get the job done. I most likely will go with a form of drilling and sealing with silicone if I have to make it a DIY project.

Sun Feb 27, 2011 10:05 pm

Why does the case have to be waterproof? The 5DMarkII sure isn't.......
Are you putting the camera in an underwater housing and shooting under water?
If not, I'd just worry about protecting the battery and bramper as much as you are protecting the camera itself.

just curious....

Mon Apr 25, 2011 1:46 pm

I never said waterproof, just "reasonably water resistant." The 5D Mark II can take some fair moisture abuse, and I want to make sure the case for my accessories can as well.

Mon Apr 25, 2011 1:54 pm

Pretty much any plastic container, a hook/loop on the top to hang it off the bottom of the tripod, and a hole in the bottom at the lowest point to run the cables out of.
Or if you want to get more carried away, just some short extension cords through a hole sealed with silicone.

Twitter Instagram Google+
Facebook Facebook Movie Page

Mon Apr 25, 2011 3:45 pm

Just a thought but....If you're wanting this during shoots like you say, then you are going to need to be using the Little Bramper, not having it locked away in a waterproof container. Another choice might be a small water-resistant bag like a Domke, it will carry this gear and more and still give you easy access during shoots. Having said that my LB is in a plastic container for protection and carried in a photo bag.

Wed Apr 27, 2011 11:15 pm